What Now? - The Question that Defined A Generation

OP
At long last.

It is finally over.

The year is 1992. It has been 45 years since the Nazi banner flew over the Kremlin. From Narvik to Trieste, from the Pyrenees to the Urals, Europe is free. In France, Poland, and Ukraine, partisans lay down their arms. Jubilation overflows the streets. In the bombed-out remains of the Reichskanzlei and the Volkshalle, all that remains is corpses and blood-soaked rubble. In the United States, President Mink prepares to address the nation about this momentous occasion. Millions tune in, to answer the burning question that will now define the next few years:

What Now?

2024_04_23_0ri_Kleki.png

Welcome to my second short form timeline! I'm really excited to begin, and I can't wait to hear some y'all's feedback!

Last edited:
Succesful Sealion? Sorry but this seen really impossible on this site.

Soviet Union manage to take conquered Russia back? Not really sure.

Re-united Yugoslavia? That I doubt too. Croats never would accept that.

Succesful Sealion? Sorry but this seen really impossible on this site.

Soviet Union manage to take conquered Russia back? Not really sure.

Re-united Yugoslavia? That I doubt too. Croats never would accept that.
Thanks for the feedback, I've changed a couple things.

mr morbius

Kicked
,,Partizans lay down their arms'' there's enough Poles left after 50 years of Nazism to warrant a Partizan movement? Did Nazi Germany go full dengist?

,,Partizans lay down their arms'' there's enough Poles left after 50 years of Nazism to warrant a Partizan movement?
The Germanization efforts in Poland never really worked, mainly due to the sheer incompetence of Hans Frank, and by the time of the Reich's collapse, Poland is only about 30% German.
Did Nazi Germany go full dengist?
I tried to avoid that trope, but eventually there is a "reformist" leader in Germany. In the end, however, his reign ends with a hardliner coup, which causes the eventual German Civil War, with the American-supported faction coming out on top.

mr morbius

Kicked
The Germanization efforts in Poland never really worked, mainly due to the sheer incompetence of Hans Frank, and by the time of the Reich's collapse, Poland is only about 30% German.
Alright then. How are Poles in general doing? I mean this tiny blob that's just Małopolska, Lublin and Warsaw seems to be like 70% Polish, but what about the Pre-WW2 parts of Poland that are now in Ukraine, Germany and Ostland(?)
I tried to avoid that trope, but eventually there is a "reformist" leader in Germany. In the end, however, his reign ends with a hardliner coup, which causes the eventual German Civil War, with the American-supported faction coming out on top.
,,Reformist" like Gorbachov or like Kruschev?

I got so many question from this map. Who owns Sakhalin? What is that pink blob above Slovakia? Why is Denmark partially independent? Why are the Caucasus countries independent? What is going on in Afghanistan?

mr morbius

Kicked
I got so many question from this map. Who owns Sakhalin?
Probably a US Mandate or something
What is that pink blob above Slovakia?
Poland
Why is Denmark partially independent?
The Nazis never had plans to fully annex Denmark in the near future, they actually had decent relations with Danes. It's probably just OTL Denmark but with far stronger German influences and a far more dysfunctional democracy
Why are the Caucasus countries independent?
Well Nazi Germany fell, there's nobody left to keep them subjigated yet I doubt that the other Great Powers would let the USSR(?) just recapture Baku and all of its oil
What is going on in Afghanistan?
Probably a civil war similar to OTL

I got so many question from this map. Who owns Sakhalin? What is that pink blob above Slovakia? Why is Denmark partially independent? Why are the Caucasus countries independent? What is going on in Afghanistan?
1. Sakhalin is a U.N. trust territory, under U.S. jurisdiction.
2. That's a provisional Polish State.
3. Denmark is fully independent. They overthrew their Nazi puppet government in 1991.
4. I kept the Afghan Civil War from the basemap I used, since I wasn't sure what to do with it.
Alright then. How are Poles in general doing? I mean this tiny blob that's just Małopolska, Lublin and Warsaw seems to be like 70% Polish, but what about the Pre-WW2 parts of Poland that are now in Ukraine, Germany and Ostland(?)
The Poles outside of this reduced poland have either been deported back to Poland or killed. In general, the Poles are recovering, with a great deal of assistance from the Polish diaspora
,,Reformist" like Gorbachov or like Kruschev?
Kind of like them, I guess. I haven't really given much thought to the leadership of Germany, besides it being Hitler -> Goering -> one Goering's lackeys -> Wehrmacht guy

mr morbius

Kicked
1. Sakhalin is a U.N. trust territory, under U.S. jurisdiction.
2. That's a provisional Polish State.
3. Denmark is fully independent. They overthrew their Nazi puppet government in 1991.
4. I kept the Afghan Civil War from the basemap I used, since I wasn't sure what to do with it.
2. Interesting. What ideology is it, currently? I assume some sort of Provisional Government, but what do they wish to evolve into? A Democratic Republic? A BBWR-Lukashenko esque ,,Republic" Oligarchy? A Catholic Theocracy? Or just a generic military dictatorship?

3. As I said, considering 50 years of Pro-Nazi rule, how is Denmark's Democracy holding up?

4. Maybe have them be propped up by Japan and Germany as a counter to an Independent India / Pakistan, and without their aid they collapse into chaos due to overspending on the Army and social issues
The Poles outside of this reduced poland have either been deported back to Poland or killed. In general, the Poles are recovering, with a great deal of assistance from the Polish diaspora
Alrighty. How big is this Poland's population, counting the Germans? And is this tiny poland able to sustain it?

And what about the various Polish Monuments (like the Lwów Cementary) left in now Ukrainian / Ostlander(?) Territory?
Kind of like them, I guess. I haven't really given much thought to the leadership of Germany, besides it being Hitler -> Goering -> one Goering's lackeys -> Wehrmacht guy
I more meant if the afformentioned lackey only did surface level reforms (Kruschev) or if he actually tried to enact meaningful change before being overthrown (Gorby)

Since Afghan monarchy probably wasn't ousted in 1973 due discredit of communism, the country probably avoids civil war and in 1991 it would be pretty stable monarchy.

mr morbius

Kicked
Since Afghan monarchy probably wasn't ousted in 1973 due discredit of communism, the country probably avoids civil war and in 1991 it would be pretty stable monarchy.
Remember ITTL it may be more reliant on Japan and Germany, and when they shit the bed they might do so too.

Remember ITTL it may be more reliant on Japan and Germany, and when they shit the bed they might do so too.

Depends what was situation in Asia. And personally I would like see stable Afghanistan instead it being on endless civil wars.

2. Interesting. What ideology is it, currently? I assume some sort of Provisional Government, but what do they wish to evolve into? A Democratic Republic? A BBWR-Lukashenko esque ,,Republic" Oligarchy? A Catholic Theocracy? Or just a generic military dictatorship?

3. As I said, considering 50 years of Pro-Nazi rule, how is Denmark's Democracy holding up?

4. Maybe have them be propped up by Japan and Germany as a counter to an Independent India / Pakistan, and without their aid they collapse into chaos due to overspending on the Army and social issues

Alrighty. How big is this Poland's population, counting the Germans? And is this tiny poland able to sustain it?

And what about the various Polish Monuments (like the Lwów Cementary) left in now Ukrainian / Ostlander(?) Territory?

I more meant if the afformentioned lackey only did surface level reforms (Kruschev) or if he actually tried to enact meaningful change before being overthrown (Gorby)
2. Yes, some sort of provisional government. With significant support from America, there are elections scheduled for 1994, so a Democratic Republic is being established. The Poles are well sick of dictators.
3. Denmark is in a similar situation, though they are far less devastated. They basically became an SS-fiefdom under Werner Best, which collapsed after his death.
4. Good idea, but without significant Soviet influence the monarchy probably isn't toppled.
Poland's population is around 6 million, far smaller than OTL.
The monuments like the Lwow Cemetery have been preserved, but retooled to suit Ostlander/Ukrainian propaganda needs.
Goring's lackey would take the place of both Krushchev and Gorby, and whoever the Wehrmacht guy is takes power after the hardliner coup

mr morbius

Kicked
2. Yes, some sort of provisional government. With significant support from America, there are elections scheduled for 1994, so a Democratic Republic is being established. The Poles are well sick of dictators.
1200px-Leszek_Bubel_i_Janusz_Rewi%C5%84ski.jpg

Democracy is not yet lost!​
4. Good idea, but without significant Soviet influence the monarchy probably isn't toppled.
Probably not. I think every other warlord is proclaiming themselves the new Monarch or Regent or whatever.
Poland's population is around 6 million, far smaller than OTL.
JESUS CHRIST

Alright Imma do some quick math

This Poland seems to consist of Some of the Mazowieckie, Lubelskie, Podkarpackie, Świętokrzyskie and Małopolskie.

And also let's say 50k extra to account for any of the other misc border regions.

Lubelskie OTL 1995 : 2.2 Milion People
Podkarpackie OTL 1995 : 2.1 Milion People
Świętokrzyskie OTL 2014 (earlier data missing): 1.2 Milion People
Podlaskie OTL 1995: 1.2 Milion People
Mazowieckie OTL 1995 : 5 Milion (although much of it was in the North, that seems to be German ITTL, so let's say 3 Milion instead)

So, in other words, there should be, in the worst case scenario, 9.7 Milion Poles here.

Instead there's around 6 Milion, and a third of that is Germans.

That's fucking horrifying.

The monuments like the Lwow Cemetery have been preserved, but retooled to suit Ostlander/Ukrainian propaganda needs.
What do you mean retooled? How can the Lwów Cementary be retooled - how do you make a story of Ukrainian Militias shooting Polish Kids into ANY sort of Heroic thing?

In Ostland, however, I could see old Polish monuments to shared heroes (like Bułak-Bałachowicz or Mickiewicz) being retooled - to this day Lithuania claims that Mickiewicz was a ,,Lithuanian poet who wrote in Polish" (whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean) so ITTL I could see them using Poles to tie together their identity - nothing brings people closer than shitting on people who used to own you, after all!

Yep, if they're lucky.
What's the USSR's relation with the Baltics and Ukraine? Do these countries feel more anger towards Germany then Russia ITTL? Like a reversal of OTL's sentiments.

I assume even reformed Nazi treatment is far worse than what they suffered under the Russia.

Last edited:
What's the USSR's relation with the Baltics and Ukraine? Do these countries feel more anger towards Germany then Russia ITTL? Like a reversal of OTL's sentiments.
The newly restored RSFSR is on at least cordial terms with Ukraine. The Baltic Federation is basically a pariah state, harboring Nazi settlers and war criminals, and run by the German minority.