"What Madness Is This?" - A Timeline

I finally got around to reading this and just finished. I must say that was a thoroughly enjoyable read (for a complete dystopian crapsack that is).
I do hope that the alternate ending gets a proper ending eventually. Now to go read the expanded universe thread.

By the way am I the only on who saw the creation of LASR and immediately thought of this:
?

Redcoat

Banned
View attachment 214167[/QUOTE]
Sorry I haven't had the new guest chapters up yet, but I have been working on them. Just a combo of schoolwork and slight writers block kept me from finishing them. Hopefully both of them will be done by early October.

Anyways, I made a Polandball comic for this timeline, because why not? :p For those who don't know its a meme/webcomic where countries are represented as balls and a variety of different things are played out from there (spoofing international relations, history etc.). Enjoy. :)

View attachment 214167
Super old post, I know, BUT ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRIES DO NOT USE ENGRISH!

SuperZtar64

Banned
You know, this whole timeline stirs up memories of a lyric from the Broadway musical Hamilton.

And? If we win our independence?
Is that a guarantee of freedom for our descendants?
Or will the blood we shed begin an endless
cycle of vengeance and death with no defendants?

- Alexander Hamilton, Hamilton

Deleted member 96212

I'm steadily making my way through this timeline, and boy, is it a good one. Nice job so far. :)

A minor quip I had right here though:
It all comes together now, huh? Custer's ridiculously fake religious life (I dropped constant hints at that fact, as well as that almost no R.U. leader actually believes in the AFC, and use it as tool, like A. A. Lincoln did, and to "opiate the people"), how this universe's Joe Steele/Michael Custer would still wind up as a worse-than-OTL stone-cold heartless, mass-murderer, and just how Steele came into Custer's family. Seriously, this guy doesn't care his adopted father and leader of America murdered and raped his own mother, kidnapped him, and shot his father, all because he's become a spoiled, rich bourgeoisie little brat and has it made. He's willing to continue persecuting Slavs, his own kind, and promote AFCanity because it keeps him in power and he doesn't care what he has to do to stay there. He's a full-blown psychopath, just like George Custer has been revealed to be. :eek:

Since Custer adopted Joseph, saved him from certain death, and adores the hell out of him, doesn't this mean Custer isn't a true psychopath? A real psychopath would've let Joseph starved, no?

As I said, minor nitpick, and I'm happy to read the story.​

I'm steadily making my way through this timeline, and boy, is it a good one. Nice job so far. :)

A minor quip I had right here though:

Since Custer adopted Joseph, saved him from certain death, and adores the hell out of him, doesn't this mean Custer isn't a true psychopath? A real psychopath would've let Joseph starved, no?

As I said, minor nitpick, and I'm happy to read the story.​

He did need a successor. Likely saw Joseph as a means to an end.

Deleted member 96212

He did need a successor. Likely saw Joseph as a means to an end.

He could've adopted a "pure" American then. The fact that Custer decided to adopt a kid considered to be an inferior may signify that there's some humanity left in him.

He could've adopted a "pure" American then. The fact that Custer decided to adopt a kid considered to be an inferior may signify that there's some humanity left in him.

If Custer is a pyschopath, he wouldn't give a damn about racial purity and "inferior" versus "Better of Society". All that is just political tools. So long as no one knew Joseph wasn't pure, it didn't matter.

Deleted member 96212

If Custer is a pyschopath, he wouldn't give a damn about racial purity and "inferior" versus "Better of Society". All that is just political tools. So long as no one knew Joseph wasn't pure, it didn't matter.

True, but the whole thing just strikes me as odd. But no matter. I continue on and hope that the TL will still be as amazing as what I've read so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read this TL like three times, and I think its inspired me to make a TL similar to it. I'm not sure how to work it out yet though

I've read this TL like three times, and I think its inspired me to make a TL similar to it. I'm not sure how to work it out yet though

Funny thing is, now that you mention it, I've considered doing something similar myself for a little while now.

And honestly, this TL being bumped also makes me want to read the whole thing all over again.....:cool:

In a similar manner I once considered doing an ATL map based on this line from Black Christmas:

The leaders of most of the world's major nations went into emergency councils with their advisers and parliaments and the like. Caesar Napoleon IV actually reportedly considered launching an all-out strike against the Union. This was an opportune moment; if he had indeed attacked the Union while it was trying to pick itself up after the devastating loss of Custer, the Union likely would have been destroyed. After a day of consideration, however, he decided against it.

Got some work done before abandoning it for other projects. Maybe I'll get back to it someday.

Redcoat

Banned
Funny thing is, now that you mention it, I've considered doing something similar myself for a little while now.

And honestly, this TL being bumped also makes me want to read the whole thing all over again.....:cool:
There's even been fanfics of this IIRC.