What is a common thing or trope that always seem to happen?

In this case the wank is only for the country that annexes.

This is because, although the authors try to deceive the public into believing that this is something sought and desired, this generally results in unfair and unequal treatment where the small country is forced to annex under implicit financial threats that, in If it refuses, the big country will put all its efforts into ensuring that the small country's economy will be destroyed until its options are to be annexed (under even worse conditions) or face financial collapse (which of course will be considered a threat even WORSE than extinction as a nation and culture).

In the hypothetical case that some type of "economic aid" is granted, this aid will be crumbs: clearly insufficient to cover even the most basic needs of the country, balanced by the fact that, for every dollar invested in aid, the big country extracts ten dollars thanks to the economic exploitation of the small country.

Of course, the only branches of the new administration that receive sufficient funding are the local branches of the propaganda ministry (to bombard the people with propaganda about how they are much better off now than before even when this couldn't be more false) and the police and military forces (to crush with extreme prejudice and lethal force anything that even remotely smacks of disaffection toward the new ruling regime).
This is something I noticed too. Very rarely do I see voluntarily annexations (pan-ethnic movements notwithstanding) where country A doesn't coerce country B into joining but rather does do them a good favor and gives them a choice on whether to join or not (and if not the two can agree to a close partnership).

Too many times have there been cases where only country A benefits usually. I want to see scenarios where both countries benefit and not just one.

Last edited:
Would the colonization of America by Spain be a wank?
At first. But then they blew it in the end with a serious of really bad decisions.

IMO realistic wanks mean things are generally much better for a nation than OTL but that won't mean they are prone to faults or that other nations can one-up them too. Spain could've had a wank but wasted it on a serious of poor decisions.

In fact, scenarios where countries get wanked only to get screwed badly are pretty interesting. Good cautionary tales on blowing opportunities for greatness.

Definitely a wank, a wank of wanks even
That it was mismanaged doesnt really change that
Though you could also say the Habsburgs inheriting Spain was a screw

Definitely a wank, a wank of wanks even
That it was mismanaged doesnt really change that
Though you could also say the Habsburgs inheriting Spain was a screw
I think each house that ruled Spain/Portugal/England/France/Any other European country had its ups and downs, for Spain for example:
Habsburgs:
Advantages: - Very few rebellions in the colonies
- Easier access to private loans
Disadvantages: - Constant wars in Europe
- Too much decentralization, undermining the King's authority in his colonies

Bourbons:
Advantages: - Centralizing reforms that increased revenues and propped up major social and colonial advancements
- Developed the Río de la Plata region more than any other period prior to it and prevented Portugal/Bandeirantes from outright conquering it
Disadvantages: - Colonial rebellions that would later result in the independence and fragmentation of the Spanish Empier
- Too close ties with France put it into unnecessary wars such as the Seven Years' War

Not something I'm really too annoyed by and I get why people do it, but Wikipedia always exists in nearly the exact same format regardless of how much the timeline diverges, and in-world information is always presented as wikiboxes and major article introductions with hyperlinks and/or footnotes formatted identically to OTL Wikipedia.

Not something I'm really too annoyed by and I get why people do it, but Wikipedia always exists in nearly the exact same format regardless of how much the timeline diverges, and in-world information is always presented as wikiboxes and major article introductions with hyperlinks and/or footnotes formatted identically to OTL Wikipedia.
The Wiki is sacred!

You know I have been trying to figure out an alternative to Wikipedia for my "TL" but haven't been able to come up with something I am satisfied with yet. My two main ideas other than copying OTL Wikipedia (with perhaps a different name and slightly different aesthetic) are growing out of a dictionary (perhaps something like Ekşi Sözlük and other collaborative online "dictionaries" of the Turkish internet (either that or having Ekşi Sözlük or something derived from it be a globally popular social networking site)) and the UN equivalent maintaining an online encyclopedia that is perhaps more CIA World Factbook than OTL Wikipedia (at least in the depiction/description of states) but still intended to function as a full encyclopedia so content is more similar to OTL Wiki than World Factbook (thought probably less languages, being limited to ~10 official languages rather than being open to all like Wikipedia), thought not editable by the public unlike Wikipedia. (Honestly I do like this idea so probably will go with it, I'll just need to find a cool name then commit to it. Maybe something like The Global Encyclopedia?)

Last edited:
@Gokbay The Global Encyclopedia has already been used by several people, but I don't think anyone will protest if you do it too. (I am using the name "Encyclopedia Galactica" even though Asimov already used it XD)

Galactic seems a bit pretentious for a non-interstellar polity to unironically use but then again "Miss Universe" does already exist, probably some other examples as well.

Galactic seems a bit pretentious for a non-interstellar polity to unironically use but then again "Miss Universe" does already exist, probably some other examples as well.
To be fair, the government that uses that name is an interstellar nation with functional FTL. So it's not as silly as if it were something from a country that hasn't left Earth...

Not something that I see in TLs, but mostly in assorted threads about the Renaissance is people assuming that the Habsburgs inheriting Spain was something inevitable.