What is a common thing or trope that always seem to happen?

While the idea that religion in general or Christianity specifically holds back technological development is very much an edgy teenage atheists first joke (See Family's magic baby from Bethlehem) its not an outright baseless idea given the trial of Galileo and more modern stuff like trying to get evolution banned and undermining education on birth control.
religion tends to hold back technology when a reactionary wave occurs and the reactionary wave wins. We see this in Islam, with reactionaries winning and with it empires like the Ottomans rejecting technologies like printing press. But without these reactionary waves, religion tends to help science, normally clerical men (regardless of religion) tend to be well-educated people and therefore participate in science.
Achaemenid and Tawantinsuyu, I love the Achaemenid and Tawantinsuyu Empires.
The Inca empire I understand why, was probably the native empire with the best chance of surviving the arrival of the Europeans. With at best managing to reform and modernize and at worst becoming a gunpowder empire (with a situation similar to the Ottomans with a conservative class that doesn't want to reform but uses firearms). The Incas in my opinion have customs that are a mixture of several empires. They absorb conquered peoples like the Romans, have the harem custom like the Arabs (the upper class has a harem), an idea of honor more similar to the Chinese and a planned economy that works (the dream of every communist regime) and they make sacrifices like the Aztecs (but on a small scale, not being crazy like the Aztecs who probably deserve the craziest pre-Columbian civilization award).

but why the Achaemenid?

Selective bias in relation to the topic "religion and technology".

Or more accurately, when the fact that a country becomes Protestant causes its policies to do a 180° turn of "active and aggressive suppression of all forms of science and technology that does not appear explicitly described in the Bible, labeling its creators heretical" to "all forms of scientific and technological experimentation are so good that trying to oppose them is itself the greatest of heresies" (bonus if these Protestants are some English or German-speaking variant).

It's jarring to say the least, and even more so when it seems like this works like a switch is being pushed. This is, of course, leaving out the fact that for unknown reasons these scientific and technological efforts will focus mainly on the very sciences that we consider important in the 21st century.

(No one will care about history or geography, or agriculture or medicine, and will put an obsessive focus on STEM, pure mathematics, economic theory, and development of materials science -focused exclusively on the manufacture of weapons-)
I also love the "witchcraft" prosecution thing, where the inquisition is actively hunting nonconforming women to accuse them of being a witch. When in actuality believing in witchcraft was/is a heresy and accusing someone of it would only get yourself in trouble.

I also love the "witchcraft" prosecution thing, where the inquisition is actively hunting nonconforming women to accuse them of being a witch. When in actuality believing in witchcraft was/is a heresy and accusing someone of it would only get yourself in trouble.
Yeah that's funny. The Catholic Church did not believe in witchcraft. Occurring mainly in Germany, Scandinavia, England, Scotland, Switzerland (Protestant countries). In America, the biggest witch hunting place was in the USA (Protestant).

Yeah that's funny. The Catholic Church did not believe in witchcraft. Occurring mainly in Germany, Scandinavia, England, Scotland, Switzerland (Protestant countries). In America, the biggest witch hunting place was in the USA (Protestant).
Oh, speaking of Catholics, besides the Mormons, they always seem to have a kind of a misunderstanding for the Catholic, especially in the Middle age/ Black legends where they were portrayed as oppressive, theocracy, who banned scientific work for no reason then God say so.

Like such as much brutality suffer by a Spanish conqueror during the colonization of the Americas why tho the English colonies is somehow portrayed better because why are they not as “brutal“ as wiping out the tribes out of the face of the earth by killing every one of them, and send them into deportation to lands?

Seriously the black legend really unknowingly knowing or unknowingly having a bias against the Spaniard here in AH tropes but also in other Media

Selective bias in relation to the topic "religion and technology".

Or more accurately, when the fact that a country becomes Protestant causes its policies to do a 180° turn of "active and aggressive suppression of all forms of science and technology that does not appear explicitly described in the Bible, labeling its creators heretical" to "all forms of scientific and technological experimentation are so good that trying to oppose them is itself the greatest of heresies" (bonus if these Protestants are some English or German-speaking variant).
In Europe today we have two very relevant Protestant countries, England and Germany. In the EU the biggest economies are Germany, United Kingdom, France, Italy and Spain. 3 Catholics and 2 Protestants. As a whole, you have three Protestant countries that really shined in Europe: England, Holland and Prussia. Sweden glowed quickly but also faded very quickly.
Protestantism has an advantage in making the population read the bible well which encourages literacy, which is a strong help. But that doesn't make a country. As seen in the war between Holland and Portugal. With Holland entering its apex and Portugal being in its worst situation in centuries (Spain's war of independence at the same time fighting the Dutch, in addition to having been administered by spain) even so Portugal only loses the colony in East India (Indonesia) and keeping the colonies in Africa/America and ports in china/india

Last edited:
Oh, speaking of Catholics, besides the Mormons, they always seem to have a kind of a misunderstanding for the Catholic, especially in the Middle age/ Black legends where they were portrayed as oppressive, theocracy, who banned scientific work for no reason then God say so.
This comes from the stereotype that each one sees the other. Protestants see Catholics that way. Catholicos see Protestants as money worshipers, who have no morals, racist among other things..
Seriously the black legend really unknowingly knowing or unknowingly having a bias against the Spaniard here in AH tropes but also in other Media
the media is focused on america, a protestant country. So there will be these stereotypes. While in my country, protestant are seen by many as false Christians who want to sell god to the poorest by demanding money (basically robbing the poor in the name of god). so much so that Protestants rarely call themselves Protestants

To be honest if anyone wants to maintain a strong Catholic power in Europe in the long run. I think it would have to be France or Poland, Portugal does not have the population, Spain seems to be cursed by bad kings and very bad monotorian policies (due to its empire in the americas and having to deal with hre problems) and Italy was not unified. Poland has to defeat Russia/Muscovy to eliminated the russian threat and depending on the government do a big reform, France probably needs a good colony in the new world to compete with England (encouraging a larger navy in France, the colony has to rich in mineral resources. In addition to being a good place to throw people, perhaps preventing the drop in population growth that france had). Other than that perhaps an Alt History Spain (Castile+Portugal).

The one common thing that happens (I should have mentioned it when I talked about Andalus) at the time of the colonization of the Americas is that the Spain conquer the Incas and Aztecs with ease (when especially with the Incas, they had a perfect timing with the civil war full force). And after that it follows normally as it happened in OTL.

The other is the reverse with the Incas and Aztecs not being colonized. Which is less normal, but when it happens that they survive in a TL, they are able to maintain competitiveness with the colonizers and have no problems when coming into contact with Abrahamic religions (when this was a serious problem for the Chinese and Japanese, among other civilizations ). Both centers of civilization (Andean and Mesoamerican civilization) had a metallurgy that was more or less in the bronze age, a more than primitive navy in addition to having to deal with one of the deadliest epidemics in human history.

So normally you have the Europeans being invincible or the natives being invincible. It's rare TL that manages to do something more organic. With Europeans and Indians having their advantages and disadvantages and evolving from that. Between the two empires Incas and Aztecs I think the Incas have a better chance of surviving and remaining independent. But I don't know if the Incas can modernize themselves to the point of being able to compete with the Europeans in the long run, I think it's more likely that the Incas would take the easy way out and become a gunpowder empire.
One thing little discussed is whether the failure to conquer these native empires will severely affect the transatlantic slave trade.

Last edited:
AN: Not sure if this is allowed on this kind of thread, but I figured that complaining about nobody writing about India while having all my TL's about Europe was a little hypocritical so I figured that I may as well use it as a bit of a test thread for a little something I wrote recently about a What if revolving around Privthiraj's victory over Muhammed of Ghur at the second battle of Tarrain. Disclaimer I haven't done quite as much research as I could have, and if I get anything egregiously wrong please tell me.

"O, Jaychandra, why must we fight? Have I not taken your daughter for my bride? Open your gates to me, and I promise on my honor as a Kshyatriya that you will be allowed to live in peace-"
"Honour? As if you have any O, drunkard, despoiler of daughters, stealer of wives! I might be old, but I am not yet fool enough to put my life in your hands. Prithviraj, son of goat herds and disgrace to every Kshatriya in this world," His father-in-law spat from his wall, even now with his armies smashed, kingdom burned, and his capital surrounded. Jaychandra of Kaunnauj, the seed of Kings, showed no sign of fear. It would have been admirable in any other case, but now, it only brought him frustration. He had thrown back the Muslims from the frontiers of Bharatvarsha twice now, and still, the stubborn old fool wouldn't acknowledge his suzerainty.

"Surrender now. I am only offering you this one chance at Samyogita's urging-"
"You dare to speak her name!" Jaychandras dark face turned purple, eyes bulging; his countenance twisted savagely.
"You treacherously stole my little girl away from me, and now you have the gall to come before me as my son-in-law? I ought to kill you where you stand, Chaumana!"
"Stole her away? She came to me willingly. It is no fault of mine that she preferred me over the collection of dullards and weaklings that you lined up for her to choose." Prithviraj defended himself. Most of it was true enough. Samyogita had eloped with him willingly out of dissatisfaction with the suitors picked for her by her father. At the time, it was more out of a desire to get back at her father than anything else. It had only been after getting to know her that he'd fallen in love with her. He felt no shame over having abducted her. Hadn't Krishna done the same with Rukmini?

She was still fond of her father and had made him promise that he would spare him if he had the chance.
"She was my daughter; her wishes mattered not," Privthiraj was forced to accept the validity of Jaychandras words. A woman was under the protection of her father, son, or brothers for her entire life. She had no say in who she wed.
"Jaychandra, your armies lay crushed in the field, your sons slain in battle; you think you can win now? My men, even now, are preparing to storm your walls. I give you one more chance to surrender. You will be left in peace to rule over Kannauj and Varanasi as long as you live-"

"Rule? Bah, you intend me to warm the throne until that brat you've sired on my daughter is old enough. If this is your idea of mercy, Privthiraj, it would be crueler and more bitter than death in battle. I am Jaychandra, Raja of Kannauj and Varanasi, a devotee of Lord Shiva, the blood of Krishna and Rama flows in my veins, O, Privthiraj, what have you ever done that I should become your dotard vassal?"
"I slew Muhammed of Ghur and ended his ceaseless raids into India," Privthiraj said, defending himself.
"You killed the latest in a long line of Mleccha raiders, and that only after you let him skulk back to his Kingdom unharmed; tell me, what was the sense in that?"
"He fought well. Is it not any Kshatriya's duty to spare a courageous opponent?"
"Even when that opponent came to burn his lands, butcher his people, and defile our holy temples? How many innocents died because of your admiration? Not like you care, too busy getting drunk, I wager to worry about such things?" Jaychandra sneered, and a bright blush came to Privthirajs face.
"Nothing you can say will bend my resolve. I will die defending the home of my forefathers; if you wish to sit up on Harsha's throne, you will have to ascend it over my corpse. You may be named for Bhumi herself, but I call you worse than any of the demons that have troubled Bharatvarsha. Raavan, Hiranyayaksha, and Kamsa I name you."
With a heavy heart, Privthiraj rode back from the walls of Kannauj. Altogether, he was only moderately disappointed in not having obtained his father-in-law's surrender. He had little liking for the old bastard, and he could always take him, prisoner. It had been his words that bothered him, insulting, deep cutting, and undeniably true.

He had won many victories in his time, but nothing compared to the glories of the Samrats of old. His kingdom was expansive and wealthy but dwarfed by the empires of the South. None of his deeds was particularly memorable. He'd beaten back the armies of Ghur, but hadn't his great uncle Vighraraja IV done the same? The kingdom's border had increased since his ascension to the throne, but still, it was just one of many powerful Kingdoms in the region.

There were so many things he regretted about his feckless youth that Jaychandra's word had brought to light. He'd spent too much of his time in merry-making, listening to the praises of flatterers and fools, composing great poems in his honor, thinking himself to be the great Raja in all of Bharat. Oh, what a fool he had been!

His second battle with Ghur had been close, far more closely fought than any of his other campaigns. At one point, Privthiraj had even thought the engagement was lost and prepared himself to meet Yamraj. It could have gone the other way so easily. Wouldn't he be remembered more if it had? If for nothing else, the first Raja to fail sufficiently to let the Muslims establish a foothold in the heart of Bharat would be a well-known figure to future generations before he had been satisfied with conquering just Kannauj. Now after deeply complimenting Jaychandra's words, he resolved to do something bigger.

No longer would he resign himself to being just one of the many kings in Bharat; he would conquer more land than any Chauhan before him. The Solanki of Gujarat, the Paramara of Malwa, and the Chandelas of Bundelkhand would all acknowledge his suzerainty. He'd forge an empire that would equal Harsha's or Rama's. Kannauj was the start, and Privthiraj had plans for it. Ajmer had served the Chauhans well, but it was no seat for a King of Kings,who lorded over all he surveyed. No a Samrat needed a grander seat.

You still have the problem that Poland is surrounded on all sides by hostile neighbours and the Baltic Sea is easily closed.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it had to be partitioned, but I would say that a "megapoland" is highly unlikely simply because if it becomes too strong without a way to mess with internal politics, it's neighbours will band together to deal with it. And while France may well be happy to ally with Poland to fight the HRE, I doubt it would be happy to do the same thing to fight the HRE, England, Hungary which may be either Austrian or Ottoman and whoever the proto-Russians are at the same time.

I say England as well, because unless this is late enough that you have Russia, Prussia and Austria-Hungary sitting around on Poland's borders for your POD, you're going to have England looking at France trying to take on Europe effectively by itself and going "Time to retake our continental possessions"
Then again, a French power focused on an alliance with a magnificently powerful Poland-Lithuania could geopolitically reposition itself in alliance with the Safavid to the east of the Ottoman empire. Safavid power showed multiple times that it had the staying power to match the Ottoman empire, despite being otherwise a weaker and less populous state. Meanwhile, the Ottoman empire would be far too powerful, even if the Polish-Lithuanians expand further east, to contemplate an alliance with the Habsburgs just to defeat and trounce an inferior Polish-Lithuanian realm. Rather, the Ottoman empire would be more interested in fighting the Polish-Lithuanians on its own, conquering lands from the Safavid or challenging the Habsburg in Croatia, Austria, Royal Hungary and the Mediterranean. Likewise, even if the Polish-Lithuanians are more powerful, if the Habsburg control Spain and the HRE, they will be more likely to focus on the stronger hegemony of the Ottoman empire as otl or at best turn their attention to the French whilst the ttl Polish-Lithuanians deal with the woes of being a more threatening rival to the Ottoman empire and hence facing the full brunt of Tatar invasions and frequent Ottoman attempts at invasion as otl Russia suffered (Poles did too but not as early as the Russians).

AN: Not sure if this is allowed on this kind of thread, but I figured that complaining about nobody writing about India while having all my TL's about Europe was a little hypocritical so I figured that I may as well use it as a bit of a test thread for a little something I wrote recently about a What if revolving around Privthiraj's victory over Muhammed of Ghur at the second battle of Tarrain. Disclaimer I haven't done quite as much research as I could have, and if I get anything egregiously wrong please tell me.

"O, Jaychandra, why must we fight? Have I not taken your daughter for my bride? Open your gates to me, and I promise on my honor as a Kshyatriya that you will be allowed to live in peace-"
"Honour? As if you have any O, drunkard, despoiler of daughters, stealer of wives! I might be old, but I am not yet fool enough to put my life in your hands. Prithviraj, son of goat herds and disgrace to every Kshatriya in this world," His father-in-law spat from his wall, even now with his armies smashed, kingdom burned, and his capital surrounded. Jaychandra of Kaunnauj, the seed of Kings, showed no sign of fear. It would have been admirable in any other case, but now, it only brought him frustration. He had thrown back the Muslims from the frontiers of Bharatvarsha twice now, and still, the stubborn old fool wouldn't acknowledge his suzerainty.

"Surrender now. I am only offering you this one chance at Samyogita's urging-"
"You dare to speak her name!" Jaychandras dark face turned purple, eyes bulging; his countenance twisted savagely.
"You treacherously stole my little girl away from me, and now you have the gall to come before me as my son-in-law? I ought to kill you where you stand, Chaumana!"
"Stole her away? She came to me willingly. It is no fault of mine that she preferred me over the collection of dullards and weaklings that you lined up for her to choose." Prithviraj defended himself. Most of it was true enough. Samyogita had eloped with him willingly out of dissatisfaction with the suitors picked for her by her father. At the time, it was more out of a desire to get back at her father than anything else. It had only been after getting to know her that he'd fallen in love with her. He felt no shame over having abducted her. Hadn't Krishna done the same with Rukmini?

She was still fond of her father and had made him promise that he would spare him if he had the chance.
"She was my daughter; her wishes mattered not," Privthiraj was forced to accept the validity of Jaychandras words. A woman was under the protection of her father, son, or brothers for her entire life. She had no say in who she wed.
"Jaychandra, your armies lay crushed in the field, your sons slain in battle; you think you can win now? My men, even now, are preparing to storm your walls. I give you one more chance to surrender. You will be left in peace to rule over Kannauj and Varanasi as long as you live-"

"Rule? Bah, you intend me to warm the throne until that brat you've sired on my daughter is old enough. If this is your idea of mercy, Privthiraj, it would be crueler and more bitter than death in battle. I am Jaychandra, Raja of Kannauj and Varanasi, a devotee of Lord Shiva, the blood of Krishna and Rama flows in my veins, O, Privthiraj, what have you ever done that I should become your dotard vassal?"
"I slew Muhammed of Ghur and ended his ceaseless raids into India," Privthiraj said, defending himself.
"You killed the latest in a long line of Mleccha raiders, and that only after you let him skulk back to his Kingdom unharmed; tell me, what was the sense in that?"
"He fought well. Is it not any Kshatriya's duty to spare a courageous opponent?"
"Even when that opponent came to burn his lands, butcher his people, and defile our holy temples? How many innocents died because of your admiration? Not like you care, too busy getting drunk, I wager to worry about such things?" Jaychandra sneered, and a bright blush came to Privthirajs face.
"Nothing you can say will bend my resolve. I will die defending the home of my forefathers; if you wish to sit up on Harsha's throne, you will have to ascend it over my corpse. You may be named for Bhumi herself, but I call you worse than any of the demons that have troubled Bharatvarsha. Raavan, Hiranyayaksha, and Kamsa I name you."
With a heavy heart, Privthiraj rode back from the walls of Kannauj. Altogether, he was only moderately disappointed in not having obtained his father-in-law's surrender. He had little liking for the old bastard, and he could always take him, prisoner. It had been his words that bothered him, insulting, deep cutting, and undeniably true.

He had won many victories in his time, but nothing compared to the glories of the Samrats of old. His kingdom was expansive and wealthy but dwarfed by the empires of the South. None of his deeds was particularly memorable. He'd beaten back the armies of Ghur, but hadn't his great uncle Vighraraja IV done the same? The kingdom's border had increased since his ascension to the throne, but still, it was just one of many powerful Kingdoms in the region.

There were so many things he regretted about his feckless youth that Jaychandra's word had brought to light. He'd spent too much of his time in merry-making, listening to the praises of flatterers and fools, composing great poems in his honor, thinking himself to be the great Raja in all of Bharat. Oh, what a fool he had been!

His second battle with Ghur had been close, far more closely fought than any of his other campaigns. At one point, Privthiraj had even thought the engagement was lost and prepared himself to meet Yamraj. It could have gone the other way so easily. Wouldn't he be remembered more if it had? If for nothing else, the first Raja to fail sufficiently to let the Muslims establish a foothold in the heart of Bharat would be a well-known figure to future generations before he had been satisfied with conquering just Kannauj. Now after deeply complimenting Jaychandra's words, he resolved to do something bigger.

No longer would he resign himself to being just one of the many kings in Bharat; he would conquer more land than any Chauhan before him. The Solanki of Gujarat, the Paramara of Malwa, and the Chandelas of Bundelkhand would all acknowledge his suzerainty. He'd forge an empire that would equal Harsha's or Rama's. Kannauj was the start, and Privthiraj had plans for it. Ajmer had served the Chauhans well, but it was no seat for a King of Kings,who lorded over all he surveyed. No a Samrat needed a grander seat.
Wow. This is really great. Hope you make a timeline of it in the future.

Then just have the Habsburgs NOT get Spain (e.g. surviving Trastamara)

I prefer green & yellow myself but I guess that'll do

Indeed
The Habsburgs getting Spain is where all their Conquistador ultra luck got a reversal and they suddenly started to only roll 2 for centuries

No Habsburg Spain also means they get to centralize their power and not run around half the globe

In fact I support and used this ideas for my Spanish TL when I could wrote more about this. The Habsburgs were a mistake so deeply that I can't understand for why reason many "Spanish victory TLs" had them remaining in power only for destroy the country... (and using Spanish Empire as a cow cash for funding stupid power wars in Europe)