What if the V-1 had been deployed much earlier?

Reading the Osprey book on the V-1, "V-1 Flying Bomb 1942-52: Hitler's Infamous 'Doodlebug" by Steven J. Zaloga, gives some information on V-1 development. Argus began testing its Argus-Schmidt pulse jet in January 1941 and it flew in April 1941. However, Argus had no airframe designer and there was limited official interest. Robert Lusser of Fieseler visited Argus on February 27th 1942 and started to design the Fi-103 (FZG-76, V-1) which was first flown in a powered test on 10th December 1942 (all from pages 4-6). The next year and a half were spent solving all the many problems, especially of the guidance system, the fuel system, the catapult as well as the general problem of building an airframe that could survive the vibrations from the pulse jet. Preparing mass production, the launch sites and training of the launch crews also took time, especially as the British began a bombing campaign to slow down production and deployment. However, the cost of the V-1 was kept down to only RM 5,060, which was 2% of the cost of a bomber.

So what if Goering had liked the initial idea in early 1941 and had given the project the highest priority? It seems plausible that the V-1 could have deployed 18 months earlier than in our history, especially as British intelligence and bombing would have been less effective, with the first missiles fired towards London in January 1943. RAF fighters were slower in 1943 than 1944, there were few proximity fused AA shells and AA-guns were less effectively controlled. In principle, we could have an earlier POD and deploy the V-1 in 1942 (when it might not be called V-1). Then counter measures would have been even less effective and German aerial reconnaissance could have corrected ranging errors.

Would 1943 or even 1942 V-1s have destroyed British morale and won the war for Germany? Certainly not! However, as well as distracting British bombing from the Ruhr, I feel sure that this would have reversed British policy on the priorities of France versus Italy. As the USA was already in favour, France will be invaded in 1943 for good or ill.

Dead right

The V1 was a far cheaper solution to the same problem attacked by the A4/V2 - £ 300 as against £ 10,000 in 1944 GBP. The USA was planning to use a version against Japan. If the Nazis had used the V2 resources on V1 launchers (better still, with JATO rather than HTP catapults) it is likely that London could have been very badly damaged - an order of 10 times more impacts. A V1 nearly killed my father's family in Herne Hill (in Flying Bomb Alley).

A 1943 assault on the Pas de Calais would have been brutally expensive in lives and equipment - there might have been a bridgehead without break-out. Normandy had the advantage of swinging west and south, as well as south and east.

Hitler wasn't a fan of rocketry "There was a man I knew back in Munich who used to tinker with rockets, we all thought he was a crackpot"

It didn't really get funding until Spear started really mobilizing the economy and took interest in it in late '42

Essentially the technology and expertise if there was a pod in early 1939 could have seen them used against british targets by late 1941 early 1942... if they where used that early and did a lot of damage I could see the British retaliating with chemical weapons

Essentially the technology and expertise if there was a pod in early 1939 could have seen them used against british targets by late 1941 early 1942... if they where used that early and did a lot of damage I could see the British retaliating with chemical weapons

Even if there were swarms of V-1s by night in 1942/43 I doubt chemical weapons would have been rolled out. Only way chemical weapons would have been used between Germany and GB is if the unthinkable sea mammal happened.

As for V-1s being used earlier you probably would have seen more work on higher speed piston fighters and more interest in jet powered fighters.
The P-47D/N and other piston engined beauties like it would have been used not only to tip the wings and shoot down the V-1 but also to tear up any potential launch areas on or near the coast, think of it as a SCUD hunt, 1940s style.

The effort to hop up the V-1 would therefore been given a swift kick as a result.

Even if there were swarms of V-1s by night in 1942/43 I doubt chemical weapons would have been rolled out. Only way chemical weapons would have been used between Germany and GB is if the unthinkable sea mammal happened.

As for V-1s being used earlier you probably would have seen more work on higher speed piston fighters and more interest in jet powered fighters.
The P-47D/N and other piston engined beauties like it would have been used not only to tip the wings and shoot down the V-1 but also to tear up any potential launch areas on or near the coast, think of it as a SCUD hunt, 1940s style.

The effort to hop up the V-1 would therefore been given a swift kick as a result.

by that logic you might see a lot less resources poured into bomber command since they would need to put a lot of aircraft on defense and offense work against the v1

The whole point about the Luftwaffe's FZG76/V1 was that it was a cheap pulsejet-engined cruise missile, NOT an expensive rocket or piston-engined bomber. It would have been Goering's baby, not Hitler's. No valuable aircrew would have been endangered by its operations and the Kirschkern plan for November 1943 could have been achieved.

It is sad to say that the Crossbow raids on the V1 'ski sites' ultimately had little effect on the launching of the final V1 offensive. Only a fluke raid that destroyed the airlaunch capability did not make matters worse.

I have often been surprised that the Luftwaffe did not put containers of incendiary bomblets and antipersonnel butterfly bombs on the V1s, to suppress Civil Defence and cause conflagrations. Consider these additions to the timeline, in view of incendiary successes by the RAF and USAAF.

Please continue!