What if the royalist were sucessful in vendee and it spread across western France?

What if the royalist in Vendee were better equipped and beat back the revolutionary army? And also it spreads across western France with aid from Spain? Would this end the revolutionary govt or be a bloody civil war with no end?

archaeogeek

Banned
What if the royalist in Vendee were better equipped and beat back the revolutionary army? And also it spreads across western France with aid from Spain? Would this end the revolutionary govt or be a bloody civil war with no end?

Bloody civil war, they lacked popular support at this point, also they'd probably fall apart themselves because some leaders like Cadoudal wanted the absolute monarchy back while some leaders were not terribly enthused by it, and some were simply federalists although as far as I can tell this part of the movement died when La Rouerie was murdered.

archaeogeek said:
Bloody civil war, they lacked popular support at this point, also they'd probably fall apart themselves because some leaders like Cadoudal wanted the absolute monarchy back while some leaders were not terribly enthused by it, and some were simply federalists although as far as I can tell this part of the movement died when La Rouerie was murdered.

Actually, if the Vendeans were better equipped, they might try their luck with besieging Paris. They thought of it in 1793 or 1794, but didn't go for it because they feared their soldiers wouldn't agree to make such a long march (considering the distance between Angers and Paris, it's understandable). If the Vendeans do go to Paris and win there, the Revolution is probably finished.

As for popular support, I think the royalist did have some. After all, they wouldn't have won elections in 1796 if they had none... The reason they never came into power is because the Directoire made several coups to stay in place.

archaeogeek

Banned
Actually, if the Vendeans were better equipped, they might try their luck with besieging Paris. They thought of it in 1793 or 1794, but didn't go for it because they feared their soldiers wouldn't agree to make such a long march (considering the distance between Angers and Paris, it's understandable). If the Vendeans do go to Paris and win there, the Revolution is probably finished.

As for popular support, I think the royalist did have some. After all, they wouldn't have won elections in 1796 if they had none... The reason they never came into power is because the Directoire made several coups to stay in place.

Except 1796 was after the civil war was over; politics had changed in 3 years. And the royalists who won weren't necessarily the same kind of absolutists which a lot of the Vendéen leaders were, although not all of them were this obviously. Also one of the problems is that with only Angers under control, any march on Paris would have been a problem of risking to be gotten on the flanks. But admittedly it might work.