What if the Internet never existed?

I agree that the Internet (as we know it, decentralized, etc.) did not have to occur. What you did delay is the networking of computers, and by quite a bit as well. I disagree slightly.

Imagine this: Some academic or government/military organization in the 1960s/70s, after having written a 300-page report, now has the unenviable task of faxing the damned thing to somewhere across the country. There's a time constraint, so couriering the thing is out. Since networking hasn't been invented yet, and automated fax machines haven't been requisitioned, some poor slob has to feed the damn thing. You fricking bet networking WILL be invented soon.
For realism's sake, there was a managerial charlie-foxtrot which caused the whole incident (because it's ALWAYS the manager's fault).

Interesting Mix of Opinions

For the sake of brevity, I will consider the various opinions by how critical or supportive they are. NOTE: To anyone who had the mistaken idea that I denied computer connectivity/networks would ever exist, I never said such a thing. At most such innovations would be delayed, but once on the scene they would still probably take off, albeit in a very different form.

Originally Posted by Mr_Bondoc
-First, in regards to the People's Republic of China, the Internet was one of the first events wherein the world had access in real-time to the events at Tiananmen Square. While it is certain that the massacre would have certainly taken place, it would have been similar to the 1980 purges, without the glare of international attention. This would have also prevented later protests, such as the 1991 Tibetan protests, the 1997 Hong Kong legislature protests, and the 1999 Falun Gong protests...

Interesting... I actually saw a documentary on the History Channel crediting the fax machine (among other devices) as world-changing technology. This is because fascimile undermines the effectiveness of totalitarian regimes. In this case the Internet played a similar role. An example of a POSITIVE contribution of the Internet, enabling citizens of other countries to find supressed information about epochal events.

-Second, in regards to the former Soviet states, from 1989 until 1991, many of the "ethnic cleansing" campaigns in Yugoslavia, Romania, Albania, et al. would have been unreported without the presence of the Internet....

Again, same as the above. The Internet played a POSITIVE ROLE in reporting supressed information concerning human rights violations. Of course a possible down side of this, is it gave Clinton impetus to act on "world police" duty, and even when done with good intentions American interventionism almost always proves harmful in the long run, with the exceptions being World War Two and possibly, the Korean War.

-Third, the 1996 Asian currency Collapse would have taken place at a slower pace, due to currency exchanges in Great Britain. This would have the effect of delaying the collapse of the Indonesian government in 1998. This would have certainly prevented the independence of East Timor. This would have also prevented the collapse of the Cambodian government, and the susequent arrest of Khmer Rouge leader, led by Pol Pot in 1998....

In this case, the Internet played a NEGATIVE role in the short term (Asian currency collapse) with a POSITIVE longer term side effect, namely the collapse of a fascist regimes in Cambodia and Indonesia. Indonesia however, may not be that much better off.

-Fourth, in the Middle East, groups like Al-Qaeda and Hezbollah would have a harder time spreading their message to the media and for recruiting potential foot soldiers. This makes the 1998 bombings of the U.S. Embassies in Africa difficult. This also makes the 1994 attacks on American troops in Somalia, less likely to be funded by Al-Qaeda leaders. This also prevents the 1998 Abu-Sayyef attacks in the Philippines...

Definitely a NEGATIVE side effect of the Internet! I am surprised you made the following ommission. Without Internet, the September 11th attacks would have been much more difficult and may have had a better chance of being thwarted...

-Fifth, the sudden recruitment of right-wing militias of the 1990s remains a small-fringe activity. This prevents Timothy McVeigh and his ilk from planning and organizing the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing. The David Koresh and the Branch Davidian Disaster would have been seen as just another failed federal law enforcement incident, and not linked to some dark "New World Order"....

Another NEGATIVE side effect of the Internet. Unfortunately plenty of ultra-reactionary memes and kooky conspiracy theories float around cyberspace. (Interesting unrelated sidenote. Why is it when a center-left president like Clinton is in office, you get a lot of kooky far-right-wing conspiracy theories like the NWO and ZNG, but when a center-right wing president is in office you get kooky leftist conspiracy theories like Loose Change?)

In short, Mr_Bondoc noticed some tremendous impact that the Internet had on world events, ironically most of which involve the developing world, with little or no access to Internet. And these are just the bigger, more tangible socio-political impacts.

Originally Posted by Nicksplace27
Now, just to entertain the idea that the internet could never be invented, I believe that the internet has yet to make a large impact socially, but it will within the next ten years. I mean bigger than anything else we've seen. Anyone can share ideas with anyone over huge distances in the blink of an eye. The butterflies are massive and endless. You circumvent that and an ATL could go any which way.

Even you agree that the Internet will have a tremendous effect on the world. You just do not believe it has happened yet... :confused:

The Internet has already revolutionized education, the way we do business, shopping, news, entertainment. One thing I like about the Internet is the availability of news. Another major example of how the Internet completely revolutionized life (albeit in a mostly bad way) is in entertainment trends. Of course the Internet is not limited to Web browsing, and P2P networks are applications. Ever since the mid nineties downloading music and other media files has been easily possible for most people. The effect of Napster and others has had a political impact on the RIAA and interfered with record sales. Now I am not willing to rant about Internet era anti-elitism or cultural decadence or whatnot again, but I do think the Internet had a beneficial effect on music, movies, and television. For one thing, the recent suckfest of music (since the mid-90's really, with the rise of "Pop"/bubblegum music, rap, pseudo-R&B, nu-metal, etc.) I think is largely due to the Internet. For one thing, in these cynical times, very few artists care to make music for its social utility or its own artistic merits (hence why we will never have another Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Who, Queen, Hendrix, etc., nor another Woodstock or Motown). The sole reason is the purely capitalistic profit motive, but even that incentive has largely been lost since downloading free music lowers the guarantee of money. Hence artists do not really care anymore. On the other hand the decade-long suckfest in movies and music probably owes more to the general decadence of a pseudointellectual culture that doesn't read anymore, Western culture in general, American culture in particular. Not to mention this whole reality TV fad was largely popularized by the Internet generation.

Originally Posted by Nicksplace27
I personally think the internet is an inevitablilty. Any way to connect computers so people can share information is incredibly important and therefore, since nessicity is the mother of invention, the internet would've been invented by someone.

Computer connectivity would probably exist eventually, but must one connect through computers to share information? One could do so with fax, phones, broadcasting, etc. Also just because some person figured out to connect computers, does not mean anything resembling the OTL internet would necessarily result. That is like assuming that once a wheel is invented an automobile is soon to follow.

Originally Posted by pieman3141
I agree that the Internet (as we know it, decentralized, etc.) did not have to occur.

Glad to see someone else does not think my premise to be absurd! :)

Imagine this: Some academic or government/military organization in the 1960s/70s, after having written a 300-page report, now has the unenviable task of faxing the damned thing to somewhere across the country. There's a time constraint, so couriering the thing is out. Since networking hasn't been invented yet, and automated fax machines haven't been requisitioned, some poor slob has to feed the damn thing. You fricking bet networking WILL be invented soon.

Of course, the example you cited, while interesting, makes more sense in hindsight. Of course we take the Internet for granted so much that most of us forget how life was like without it. Sure things were a bit tougher, but people did just fine without computer networking, not to say that such innovations did not make life easier, because they certainly did. Naturally, I assume that sooner or later somebody would probably invent some means of computer connectivity, be it modems or networks. I say later, you say sooner. Would networking be invented any time soon? Maybe. The problem is someone still has to research and develop the technology in and of itself. This would cost lots of time and money, but in the long run, the payoff would be well worth it. Then again, one might just improve fax machines, chiefly by automating them, or through "digifax". Eventually you get fax machines interfacing with office computers, sending documents and graphics in electronic form from one computer to another. Transfer of data through telephone-like connections via fascimile could serve the role of computer networks in lieu of e-mail. (Even you imply that this situation is not a regular occurence.)

Originally Posted by The Mists of Time
If the Internet had never existed there would be very very few home or personal computers. The Internet was a very big factor in the development of the personal computer and in them becoming a routine item in almost every home.

Interestingly somebody else agrees with me on this! The Internet was indeed a major factor in popularizing computers! DaleCoz disagrees, but here is an interesting project. Find data on personal computer sales from the debut of the PC to the present. See how the increase in sales correlates with the availability of Internet-related innovations. Granted many people did own a computer well before anyone knew what the Internet was, but then more people acquired a PC after the Net revolution. (My father owned computers well before we had any sort of connectivity, but he worked with computers and software.)

Originally Posted by The Mists of Time
Had the Internet never existed, the world would in many ways be much like it was before the Internet was invented and developed. In many ways the world would be much like it was in the 1970's and 1980's.

Interesting... in othe words, the Disco Era?

Originally Posted by Johnestauffer
I think 'personel computers" would still have a major role in things.
They are more flexible than main frame computers and would be desired by smaller businesses.

Personal computers are more flexible than mainframe computers? Not necessarily the case, although typically PCs are more flexible than mainframes. Certainly PCs are more flexible than older mainframes, but not they can not compete with modern supercomputers. (Except of course in terms of cost and overall practicality.)

They would also be useful in the education world.

Curiously I overlooked that. Needless to say, without internet, PC-like computers would still have a major role in education, particularly college or university level, somewhat less so in high school.

The entertainment aspect of the small computer would still be there.
You could still have computer games.

But as I have established, the Internet was a major force in popularizing computers. Without internet, people still might find use for a PC (although specialized word-processors/electronic fax machines could meet many of those needs, at least in the home), but in an internet-less world, anyone who would buy something like a PC exclusively for gaming when equivalent or superior consoles are available is just not a very wise consumer. Interestingly, I once speculated about whether systems like PS2, XBox, XBox360, Wii, etc. might some way have computer keyboards and mice (mouses? is the plural of computer mouse mice?) available for attachment, and later on, word proceesors, spreadsheets, and such. Might they then evolve into simpler low cost PCs?

Price was the major barrier to my getting a PC in the 'old' days prior to the internet

True. In this internet-less TL, PCs are still invented around their OTL date of invention, but the lack of an internet means less of a boom in sales, and less of a price cut. Hence, improvements in computing improve (paradoxically faster than IOTL), the functions of a PC are handled more efficiently for a lower price with other devices, and therefore get phased out, except in situations where the complexity of a multi-purpose PC is truly needed (in certain lines of work, less so in the office or school). So the household PC is still around, but its price keeps it as a luxury item.

Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young
Since the internet is just a more efficient computer networking system, I say it is an inevitable evolution once basic networking is ironed out, commercial if not military. It's not like there's any huge hurdle to overcome, once the basic idea is there. In fact, decentralizing it would make it cheaper and less prone to break down, giving an economic incentive only slightly less than the military incentive, which would be to prevent a key system from dying at an inopertune moment. What's to keep networking from improving into something better? The End of History mentality?

Who says an internet (i.e. decentralized computer network) is any more efficient? Certainly it is more complex, but then it brings advantages. While a more decentralized network is far less prone to failure, this need not entail complete distribution. Afterall there are many different degrees of centralization and decentralization. On one extreme, a highly centralized network would consist one central node with every other node connected through a single exclusive connection to this hub. On the other extreme one could have a network where every single node is directly connected to every other node (but this is highly impractical), or a more reasonable model consisting of every node connecting only to adjacent or local nodes and each node having a more or less equal number of connections with other nodes, a sort of neural net). There are vaious degrees of decentralization between the extremes of a totally distributed network and a unitary centralized one, including a centralized arrangement of decentralized sub-networks or a decentralized web of centralized networks with various sublevels and superlevels of organization. (See this link for an illustration: http://www.cybergeography.org/atlas/baran_nets_large.gif)

Of course the network architecture a company chooses would depend on its needs, but to avoid a network crash, one could still have a more or less centralized network, with some backup hubs and auxillary connections. People would gradually develop solutions as they need them, but the completely distributed decentralized layout developed by Paul Baran emerged to solve a military problem, not a civilian or economic one. At the time it seemed impractical (all other networks were essentially centralized), but once built proved extremely useful, hence why Arpanet served as the model for the Internet. "End of History" mentality? :confused: Just because I do not see certain technological endeavors as being fated to occur, does that mean I have an end-of-history mentality? I'd say your belief that the internet is inevitable is no less fatalist!

In the end, the need for a decentralized network to resist nuclear attack is still there (heck, it would still apply even without rockets).

Granted, but then Paul Baran seemed to be the only one IOTL to suggest such an idea! While he is a genius, would anyone else have come up with the same or similar idea? Maybe. After all, the government did realize the merit in Baran's theses. Still, his innovation seemed rather revolutionary. And I am not so sure the need for such a defense mechanism is as strong today as it was during the Cold War.

Plus, there will be an economical impetus as well as the military impetus. One or the other will grow, and ARPNET or whatever will develop de facto or de jure until someone takes the next step. You can delay progress, but you can't stop it (unless you kill everyone, or pull a 1984).

We already discussed the economic incentive (or lack thereof) of building a decentralized/distributed computer network in a civilian context. One certainly can delay progress, but could it be stopped? Not likely. Then again, in my scenario, research and development is not really stopped or even guarded against. It is merely distracted only to proceed in other directions! You do not need tyrants or ASBs to halt innovation (which does not really happen in the above scenario, but if you truly believe the Internet is inevitable then it certainly seems like it).

Originally Posted by Max Sinister
@TR: Don't bother about people who don't know the difference between WWW and Internet. There are too many of 'em.

So it seems. There was a time when I did not know the difference between "the Net" and "the Web" but that does not mean I can not explain it and teach people. That is a very poor attitude coming from a Wikipedian of all people! Aren't you supposed to bring knowledge to the people? (In some cases it is not that they did not know the difference, just that we were "talking past" eachother.)

Originally Posted by Max Sinister
But yes, I'd like to see your "proof" that wikipedia's bad.

:rolleyes: Sigh! I do not know how I could possibly explain what is the problem with Wikipedia to someone who thinks there is nothing wrong with an "open-content" encyclopedia that ANYONE could edit anonymously with no guarantee of expertise or credentials. If there is ANYTHING good about Wikipedia it is that if information is cited, one could usually find a link to the original source. But even this proper citation is often lacking and sometimes Wikipedia will accept lousy sources. There is just not enough content control. Would you like me to provide a list of complaints and grievances? How about some links to criticisms?

http://homepage.univie.ac.at/horst.prillinger/blog/archives/2004/06/000623.html
http://slate.msn.com/id/2117942/
http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=255920&area=/insight/insight__national/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1599116,00.html
And ironically:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Wikipedia

There are many more articles, but I have lost most of them. Overall, Wikipedia is very handy as an "information phonebook" but should stop pretending to be an encyclopedia. Uncyclopedia is better than Wikipedia. Wookiepedia is better also. At least none of the aforementioned masquerade as reliable factual information about the real world.

Originally Posted by Justin Pickard
Prove it. China didn't create the internet, but net use there is booming, and they are neither 'open' nor 'capitalist' in the conventional sense.

Prove it? Thank you Mr. Pickard, you have proven my point for me. China did not create the internet (emphasis mine). The question Ofaloaf raised was what if the Soviets invented or developed the Internet, and I was arguing that it would be highly unlikely for any Marxist-Leninist regime to create something like the internet for several reasons. You said so yourself, the internet spread into China, but it did not originate there. Besides, the fact that it is booming there does not mean that this boom is according to the government's wishes. If you pay attention to the news they mention that the Chinese government grudgingly accepts the internet in the country, but desperately attempts to restrict access and censor content.

Consider that some think the fax machine alone made totalitarianism obsolete, and think about how troublesome the Internet would be to any authoritarian state. Any truly totalitarian, be it communist or a fascist theocracy regime around today has outlawed the Internet in its borders and punishes attempts to access it, or at the very least, carefully controls Internet access. North Korea, Iran, and the Taliban both banned the Internet. Cuba and Saudi Arabia have stringent content control and limit access. You frequently hear about how the Chinese version of Google limits information access.

China is no longer communist (ever since Deng Xiaoping reforemed the economy) and is now state capitalist. Reforms include some degree of private enterprise and market elements, but the economy remains largely in state control. Also, some liberalizations, but democracy has yet to overcome the one-party dictatorship. Afterall, if the PRC were really Communist, they would not be allowed in the WTO. So your example is flawed.

Plus, we have no 'control' for this assertion, nothing to compare it against.

Aside from our theoretical understanding of an authoritarian state, and reasonable predictions about how it would react to anything as democratic and anti-statist as the Internet, we have real world instances of opposition! Most totalitarian regimes would not even allow the Internet infrastructure within or anywhere near their borders and prohibit their people from accessing the Net. What would lead anyone to conclude that they would invent it? (Aside from that fact, consider that no surviving authoritarian regime could be considered socialist let alone communist. Some are state capitalist, others corporatist, quasi-feudal, or at most, populist. While state capitalism, populism, and neo-feudalism are similar enough to authoritarian statist socialism, the lack of a capitalistic private sector would curtail growth of an internet.)

I also think that, as intranets are joined up, something bearing a passing resemblance to the internet will evolve anyway in your scenario. It might start off slightly more locally-based, but once the advantages are seen, government investment would boost the core network.

Not necessarily, these computer networks (which would not be called intranets IATL because the term was derived from "internet") would for the most part be privately owned, usually by a corporation. Also such networks would typically tend to be centralized. Since proprietary issues would be at the forefront, linking up with other such networks would be a challenge. If other networks would connect, they are more likely to do so through a modem rather than a direct network connection. Aside from being local, very few would cross borders between nations (except maybe in the EU) because of proprietary issues and what not. Governments might also build computer networks, but what is to say they resemble internets. (Moreso, if one imagines a more Libertarian current in American politics, such government investment becomes less likely. Also, since my POD affects the space race, satellites might not be available as early or in such large amounts, and the lack of satlinks could limit the capabilities of networks. At least initially. Basically, DaleCoz offers a more plausible account of how computer networking would be in lieu of the internet.

And I also object to your Techno-Luddism. Without the net, I would probably not be at the university I'm currently at; I would not be able to access 95% of the academic journals and articles I use; and I would not have been exposed to as many differing political standpoints, ideas, opinions, and so forth. Knowledge is power, and you can't blame the medium for the message.

Techno-Luddism? Imagine the reaction when he reads what Ray Bradbury has to say! :rolleyes:

Of course I have an overall positive view of computers, but a negative view of the internet. Personally I see my "End of History" mentality or "Techno-Luddism" more interesting than the fatalist view that all developments in computing invariably lead to the Internet. I would appreciate it if others are respectful of my opinion even if it is conflicting. And I am aware of the irony and potential hypocrisy that I am criticizing the Internet... over the Internet! :eek:

For me the Internet was mostly a negative experience. I know people personally whose lives were literally ruined by the Internet in some way. (Fortunately, most of their "ruined lives" were not irreparable and were brought back on track... :) ) It is great that some people benefited from the Internet. Justin, I understand the empowerment you recieved, but I don't believe you would not currently be at your university without the Internet. Where there is a will, there is a way! As for academic journals, many of them are available offline (originally they were), and anything truly valuable on the Internet is unavailable on the open net, but requires an access fee. (So much for free info!) Of course the Internet is not all evil! Much good has come out of it, most notably alternatehistory.com. Actually if computer networks developed as DaleCoz described them, maybe I could make a divergence of this timeline where AH.com exists in such a fashion!

@ DaleCoz:
Thanks for the glossary!

Originally Posted by DaleCoz
Would computers automatically generate connectivity? Yep. Almost a hundred percent certainty of that.

Probably. Never say 100% about a counterfactual! I would not say automatically, but it would nevertheless be unreasonable not to expect that someone would attempt to link computers sooner or later. Of course timing is crucial. In my timeline I postulate that nothing like the Internet will emerge, but many private networks (e.g. Compuserve) develop by the 80s or 90s. Nevertheless Compuserve may have been at least partially inspired by Arpanet, and depended on packet switching and time sharing, so certain technological innovations would be required. I think that some hobbyists would take up networking, but without a global public internet, computer networking would not have as mainstream an appeal.

Would personal computers be supplanted by specialized devices? There has always been a tension between computers and specialized microprocessor-based devices like video games. However, there has never been a point where video game consoles seriously threatened to push personal computers per se out of the market, though they did do a number on specialized home computers like the C64 and the Amiga.

The reason why video game consoles never seriously threatened personal computers is because the older video game consoles (i.e. Nintendo, Supernintendo) were always inferior to a good PC (or a 1980's video game-specific PC), and because a PC can do ALOT more than play games. The Internet and WWW were already available to the general public by the time Sega Saturn, Sony Playstation, and N64 came out, let alone later consoles such as PS2, which could actually compete with most PCs in gaming capabilities. Assuming faster innovations in electronics outside of networking, advanced video game consoles (and PDAs, etc.) would have arrived even earlier.

Would personal computers be supplanted by specialized devices? Part of the problem is that it was far easier to justify a computer to parents, spouses, significant others, than it was to justify a video game console.

Not necessarily. What would be an argument for buying a PC? The kids could use it for research. It could be useful for communications. Essentially internet-related tasks. The major offline use would be word processing or maybe making spreadsheets. But what if technological and economic conditions favored devices custom fit for word processing? (Video typewriters?) A laptop-sized device with built-in printer optimized for word processors. Besides, if one argues for a PC to play games, a video game console could serve the function for much less money!

The two were likely to coexist, and always have. Even if game consoles totally won out, they would probably then develop computer-like functions, and connectivity functions. Playstation and XBox have certainly gone down the connectivity route.

That actually makes perfect sense! I kind of speculated about that happening IOTL! Buy the Nintendo Compuko! Has all the essentials of a PC at a much lower price! I could probably appreciate the superior Japanese manufacture... Of course in a no-internet timeline, I do not see consoles developing connectivity, but in lieu of true PCs would become more sophisticated and take on the role of multi-media center.

Random thoughts

Very large information networks can be created without the packet switching technology and big money. Having common phone system and user programmable devices (PCs) is enought. Try "FIDO".

So, to be true internet-less your world must also lack:

1. Standartized phone system. Each telephone service provider must have it's own devices, incompatible with other's cables and services. In this world, you have little or no choice regarding your phone appearance. Same goes for fax. Cell phones are very provider-specific and probably resemble current Japanese models.

2. User-programmable, configurable and serviceable digital devices in any form. No RS-232/USB compatible "service" ports, even inside. Things like an "enchanced typewriter" are still possible, and so are "digital notebooks" and game consoles, but no mp3 players and digital cameras. These devices rely too much on existing infrastructure.

3. No format for audio and video, including non-digital formats, with market share greater than 20%. If users have ability to store and share data, they will do it. Back in the USSR before internet era, I have used to store my digital archive on the VCR tape (up to 3 Gb per tape, compare to expensive and unreliable 1.2 Mb FDs!) and share it with my friends.

4. Same goes for cable TV. If you have this big fancy Powersonic plasma panel, you have to buy Powersonic game console, because other consoles would not work with it at all, or image would be doungraded to common PAL\SECAM\NTSC.

But, at same time your world must have:

1. Something like HDTV must be common from 70s. To compete with PCs your game consoles must have much better screen resolution than our timeline ones.

2. Better energy storage technology must be invented at the same time. True, an application-specific appliance may not require too much power to simply function, but how compete with PCs without big fancy screen?

So, without the Net, you have no Walkman or iPod or digital camera, but plasma panels are realy cheap!

Interesting: If they have EU and USSR in that world, I see something internet-like to arise there after USSR dissolution, as these powers always payd attention to medium standarts. Think about Minitel on steroids. And later, GSM network access devices will take lead. As TemporalRenegade already stated, in this world German, French and later Russian would be the languages of the Net.

<uch good has come out of it, most notably alternatehistory.com.

Is this really the highlight? God, I hope not.

:D

Apart from that, points taken. Not necessarily agreed with 100%, but I can see where you're coming from a little more clearly than before. I still think that your initial timeline is a little too close to OTL, and that dents its plausibility somewhat. The butterflies, especially in the years coming up to the present, would be immense.

Your idea of digifaxes sounds interesting... and I agree, that in hindsight, my example makes a hell of a lot more sense than it would have back in the 70s.

In fact, most of your timeline makes perfect sense. Nothing has to happen. I just happen to disagree with networking, because of my own premise that humans need to talk with one another. Thus, something akin to networking is a must-have.

For computer equipment to have sped up, there would need to be a market. Think of why most people get the fastest computer there is: To play the best games. A game like SupCom requires a hefty amount of CPU time to run the battles, and a game like HL2 with that new fancy lighting technique (forgot the name) requires a great deal of graphics power. My question to you is: What makes the computers in your timeline go faster? Games? Programming? Maybe people realize that media conversion is a good thing and want to digitize their collections? Just because there are more developers on hand to build a better computer, doesn't mean it'll get built.

Here are a few more changes....

-In India, consider that development would have been stalled economically and politically. Just consider the many electronics and IT companies that have transferred their services to places like New Delhi, Mumbai, Calcutta, et al. This has led to the growth of a middle class that has supported the economic liberalization policies which have been the norm since 1962....

-In Sub-Saharan Africa, Nigeria, Benin, and South Africa would have been less likely to have the large organized crime networks, which have used the Internet to organize fraud and money-laundering/pyramid schemes, slave-trafficking, and narcotics trafficking. This would have subsequently kept the region out of the minf of most law enforcement agencies worldwide....

-Trade relations with the People's Republic of China, Vietnam, Laos, and the Philippines would have been more secure, with fewer problems regarding intellectual property and copyright laws and regulations needed to be enforced. Consider that the illegal software, DVDs, and CDs, often supplant trade discussion rather issues of human-trafficking orlabor conditions....

-Consider that rather than being the exception, corruption and criminal behavior, would have been ignored or be more likely the norm:

http://www.infoplease.com/toptens/mostcorruptcountries.html

In 2001, Defense Minister George Fernandes (India) lost his position after revelations of corruption by Internet websites. Consider that in 2006, Mark Foley (R-FL) was forced to resign over the sex scandal based on conversations on the Internet. In 2006, also remember that Ted Haggert was forced to resign after revelations were made about his affair with a gay prostitute. In 1998, we all remember the infamous Monica Lewinsky revelations. In 2006, Republican George Allen (R-VA) was being considered as a possible presidential candidate, until "Youtube" and the word "Macaca" became linked....

-MAD and Rockets
I brought up rockets becuase you mentioned that the threat of rockets was an impetus to develop a decentralized network. I just pointed that rockets were the only reliable way for the USSR to ensure MAD, thus creating the impetus. The USSR wouldn't need to do space exploration, but it would be bloody stupid to not branch out into a field that expanded its science base, gave them great global PR, and let them declare how peaceful their intentions as to rocket technology was.

-End of MAD
In fact, the threat of MAD has not ended, merely diminished. While no longer a constant threat (the end of mainstream communism greatly lessened tensions), both the US and Russia still have their nuclear retaliation systems up and running 24/7. There have even been some scares in the last few years which almost led to nuclear annihlation. Which means even if the internet hadn't been invented yet, the reason for doing so is still there.

-USSR "Flaunting" Technology
The USSR had many reasons to flaunt their abilities, both foreign and domestic. As a missionary ideology in the same sense as liberal democracy, the Soviet union had/would have a much easier time convincing others of the benefits of communism if it could show that communism could bring forth advances that would better the common person's life. Domestically, flaunting superior technology was a great moral booster. For untold centries, Russia had been a backward land who's sole strength was numbers and size. Now it is number one, better in a brand new field than the rest of the world put together. The Red Star is truly in reach! Anything that can keep the masses happy is good, remember.

-No Space Race w/ICBMs
Unlikely, since they were essentially the same field. Space is a much more benevolent field to research in than deadly ICBMs, and much better PR. Plus, the potential benefits of space colonization in the long run are to die for. If the Soviets hadn't started it, the Americans would have. Von Braun had been pushing for years; the Soviet sattelite (which corresponded to ICBM capability) would serve the same impetus that a ICBM would have. And if the Americans start ahead in the space race, the chance for the Russians to catch up is close to nill, leading to a huge embaressment.

-MAD and Rockets
Then rockets were the only way for the USA to ensure MAD as well. After all, I think the Americans had missiles first. ICBM, MIRV, and other devices were crucial and superior to massive bomber aircraft. Hence why we say "launch nukes" rather than "drop nukes". And it makes sense that a Space Race would showcase technology, but at the same time, in a benevolent manner, hence why Sergei Korolev's initiative was undertaken. Naturally, that the Soviets entered space first, indicated (possibly) superior rocket technology and thus an edge in the Arms Race, hence the connection between the Arms Race and the Space Race. (Remember in October Sky when the West Virginia folk believed that the Ruskies could be dropping bombs from the Sputnik.) So ARPA was founded to promote American technological development and to catch up then surpass USSR tech in civilian and ultimately military fields. Also note that in the era of MAD, the Eastern Bloc threat was not limited to the Kremlin. Castro also posed a threat for a time (Cuban Missile Crisis). Of course, rocketry would make nuclear warfare easy with arsenals of ICBM rockets and Anti-Ballistic Missiles (ABM) for defense.

-End of MAD
I disagree. And so do these guys:
Keir A. Leber and Daryl G. Press The Rise of U.S. Nuclear Primacy, Foreign Affairs, March/April 2006, pp 42-55.

If the impetus for developing ARPANET or an equivalent system is never there or never strong enough to get off the ground, and thus there have been no prerequisites to the Internet by the Fall, then the likelihood of a decentralized military computer network (and thus internet) developing would become less likely as the years pass, becoming minor after the toppling of the Berlin Wall and the Warsaw Pact regimes of East Germany, Poland, etc. and essentially nonexitant after the abandonment of Communism by the Soviet Union and subsequent breakup of the Soviet Republics. The Cold War ended with the death of Bolshevism and with it, the MAD doctrine. According to some anyway. After all, Paul Baran authored his thesis during the height of the Cold War, when the two superpowers were in a stalemated competition for nuclear hegemony. If the US is truly the sole superpower with nuclear primacy, then the Cold War MAD doctrine does not apply.

On the other hand, these guys disagree with such an assessment:
Peter C. W. Flory Nuclear Exchange: Does Washington Really Have (or Want) Nuclear Primacy? Foreign Affairs, September/October 2006

But even the latter article states:
Now that Russia and the United States are no longer enemies, they must work to ensure that their security is no longer held hostage to their ability to destroy tens of millions of each others citizens.

In the end of the day, it all boils down to the politics of the current adminstration (for instance, the more Libertarian an administration is, the less likely that it would pursue militarization, expand government research and enterprise, and develop something like Arpanet). Still, I find the analysis of Leber and Press (and their rebuttal) more persuasive than the critique. MAD, it seems, is over! Ever since Russia and its Soviet and Warsaw Pact Satellites abandoned Marxist-Leninist ideology, the bipolar world gave way to a unipolar world order. Thus, the only real nuclear threat would come from "rouge states" like Iran or North Korea. But then again, if one considers Russia and China rogue states...

-USSR "Flaunting" Technology & No Space Race w/ ICBMs
Even though the nuclear arms race and the space race are inextricably linked, space exploration was, in a sense, a form of propaganda. The race for technological supremacy on all fronts was not only a practical consideration of military hegemony, but a means to inspire the citizens of both nations. In effect, the space race was a peaceful distraction from the Cold War at large. Just as Soviet peaceful technological achievement would be used by the commies, the United States would whip up patriotism with NASA. This culminated in the Apollo moon landings. Needless to say, post-Cold War, the space race has decayed to something without a goal or purpose, limited to such deadend projects as the Space Shuttle and ISS. Just something that the Americans and Russians do because of boredom and too much time and money on their hands. A side effect of an overbloated government. (Otherwise if America was serious about the space program one way or another they would either severely cut back on the NASA budget and stop most space travel or they would build a space elevator, maybe build a lunar station, otherwise engage in serious projects.) In the Cold War however, space exploration was taken more seriously, so a timeline without much interest in space given the political climate would seem less likely, at least at a POD as late as I established it. I do, however, suggest that space exploration would commence eventually, just under different initial conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporalRenegade
<uch good has come out of it, most notably alternatehistory.com.

Is this really the highlight? God, I hope not.

Yep. Pretty much... :) Is there something wrong with that?

Apart from that, points taken. Not necessarily agreed with 100%, but I can see where you're coming from a little more clearly than before.

That is good. You upset me a little bit with the whole "Techno-Luddism" accusation. :mad: But now that you understand where I'm coming from and the plausibility of my scenario, everything is better... :D

My question to you is: What makes the computers in your timeline go faster?

As Dean_the_Young said, "...computers are one of those inventions that just keep making themselves better." Essentially, Gordon Moore predicted computer power and machine intelligence would improve exponentially. Once computers are established, people will always try to improve them and this improvement is cumulative. In lieu of reasons to research connectivity (at least initially), more effort would be focused on the machines themselves, at least initially. Thus computers would improve faster and earlier on. The difference is small at first but becomes amplified with time. I somewhat went out on a limb concerning how much faster computing would improve. But what would be the demand for this? Business and industry would have plenty of need to store, maintain, and organize data (thus demand better memory), process complex information, and do all of the above faster (more computer power and speed)! Not to mention with industry comes mechanization and automation. This requires computerization. As for the consumer market, the same household needs as IOTL would promote such R&D, albeit a little earlier on.

For computer equipment to have sped up, there would need to be a market.

Just because there are more developers on hand to build a better computer, doesn't mean it'll get built.

Interestingly, I have been using these same arguments to the contrary against the development of networking IATL. Essentially, though the means to develop networking might be there, the demand for it is essential. Likewise, since computers are already around (but connectivity is undeveloped) at the start of my timeline, there would already be all sorts of researchers and developers working on these challenges. Hence your assessment that the personnel or manpower to build better computers does not guarantee better computers will be built is flawed. Curious people would want to advance an existing field so experts working on it would probably suffice alone. (Perhaps why sooner or later, someone would develop some form of connectivity.) But you are correct in saying that demand for such products IS important, and this too would accelerate an auto-catalytic process. But where would the demand come from? Essentially people want entertainment, and useful tools to work more effectively and improve daily life.

What makes the computers in your timeline go faster? Games? Programming? Maybe people realize that media conversion is a good thing and want to digitize their collections?

Think of why most people get the fastest computer there is: To play the best games. A game like SupCom requires a hefty amount of CPU time to run the battles, and a game like HL2 with that new fancy lighting technique (forgot the name) requires a great deal of graphics power.

Thank you! I think you just answered your own question! :D

Video games would be but one of myriad ways electronics would advance. Also, considering the obvious superiority to digital media over analog, it is not surprising that computers and electronics would advance.

-In India, consider that development would have been stalled economically and politically. Just consider the many electronics and IT companies that have transferred their services to places like New Delhi, Mumbai, Calcutta, et al. This has led to the growth of a middle class that has supported the economic liberalization policies which have been the norm since 1962....

Of course! How could I have overlooked outsourcing?

-In Sub-Saharan Africa, Nigeria, Benin, and South Africa would have been less likely to have the large organized crime networks, which have used the Internet to organize fraud and money-laundering/pyramid schemes....

...or the infamous Nigerian Internet criminal rings?

-Trade relations with the People's Republic of China, Vietnam, Laos, and the Philippines would have been more secure, with fewer problems regarding intellectual property and copyright laws and regulations needed to be enforced. Consider that the illegal software, DVDs, and CDs, often supplant trade discussion rather issues of human-trafficking or labor conditions....

...or media piracy and counterfeiting across the Asia-Pacific region?

I have a question for you. How many of you were social outcasts and had wery little friend when you didnt have the internet. On New Years eve you sat alone or with your parents because you couldnt find anyone that wanted to hang out with you on that day. Maybe you were shy.

I had that problem before i got online

Some Other Items...

-Consider that the peaceful settlement of Northern Ireland would have been harder to achieve in 1995, without the Internet. This is another case wherein outsourcing has created jobs and economic opportunities which have raised the standard of living in the region, while creating media scrutiny to the politics of the region...

-Consider that electronics, records, CDs, and DVDs chain stores would probably be more solevent. Consider that with teh creation of iPods, Napster, et al., chain-stores like Tower Records, Circuit City, Compuserve, et al. have been folding financially due to cheap downloads and ...

-Third, financially, this increases the power of "mom & pop" stores and local stores against the larger chain stores and franchises. This is especially true of specialty items such as books, clothing, et al., but reduces the market which they can reach. With local bookstores, as many as 75% of local bookstores have folded to chain stores and web distributors nationwide...

Scanning mountains of text online* makes my head hurt (unless it's a piece of engaging fiction), so I'd just like to say that this debate seems very intriguing, and very hard to read. The sheer amount of "ranting", and how it seems most posts (and posters) are categorized by the topic-poster either "for" the topic-poster or "against" the topic-poster, make it impossible for me to read it all. The time vs. interest balance is simply off.

*I actually find reading text offline much easier. :rolleyes:

That said, I have three little bits I've teased out.

First, I agree with others that the Internet is fundamentally good. I believe that the easier it is to access information, the better government and society functions.

Second, I find it interesting that, as far as I can tell, no one has disputed whether "basic" computing technology would develop faster or slower without the internet. You've claimed that networking somehow "diverts" resources away from other technology sectors. Networking has increased awareness of computing technology, and is a prime factor in the growth of computing technology. Far from diverting resources away, networking technology has increased the amount of resources poured into the technology sector as a whole.

Networking also requires different skill sets than building hardware. Software and hardware engineers are hardly interchangeable.

Miniturization has also been powered by the proliferation of small scale consumer computers. Without PCs, why try to fit very sophisticated and powerful computing devices into a such small frame? Without a mass market, research into miniturization wouldn't get such funding as it has.

My third, finaly, and most important point: Don't try to reply to every single post! And especially don't give each post a complete, ten-sentence reply! A few words/sentences should suffice for most replies, or just concentrate on the most thought provoking replies. And keep repetition to a minimum.

Now I'm going to flee this discussion thread, so don't be surprised if you don't see any more replies from me, after this post or after one or two follow-ups. :D

@ Spiral Slug
Sure, large scale information networks could be built using modems and small computers via telephone lines, but these would not be proper computer networks, and therefore NOTHING like the Internet.

Point 1. Standardized phone services help, but they do not guarantee universal connectivity. Maybe if AT&T did not have a near monopoly on US telephone infrastructure.

Point 2. Again, PCs are helpful, but so is knowledge of connectivity and networking. At most such connectivity experiments would never exceed what DaleCoz described in the pre-WWW days. Perhaps as soon as USB, ethernet is available, people will attempt to produce mini-networks.

Point 3. I don't see how a universal standardized media format precedes an Internet. Nor do I think it feasible that such formats would not exist. After all, with digital media at least, it is not hard to create a universal format/language, seeing as the Metric system has been adopted as a universal measuring system, whereas the measure of computer data capacity and speed (bits, bytes, megabytes, gigs, etc.) is a universal measuring system like the metric system, only it is a binary (base 2) as opposed to the decimal (base 10) metric system. Also, computer units are based on discrete rather than continuous quantities. So for digital media (which I assume to proceed faster IATL than IOTL) standardization is totally inevitable. Even in the case of analog media, which uses continuous quantities, it is difficult to envision a case where no format has more than 20% market share, as someone would probably invent a universal or standardized format, or else, multiformat devices which would carve out a market niche, and eventually fewer and then one format would remain. How you managed to store digital data on video tape perplexes me! :eek: Still, having a universal format to store and share data does not result in anything like the Internet. This has nothing to do with media format and everything to do with infrastructure.

Point 4. Again, as with the telephone lines, a common cable format helps Internet connectivity but is not a precursor. Even so, the lack of standardized phones and cable may just open a market for devices which could translate signals between formats, or improve compatibility, so this might not be a barrier.

Thus, granted that a standardized format is inevitable, especially in the wake of digitalization, the digital camera and walkman would still exist, obviously! Although MP3 players might not exist, or take off completely differently, because such devices are used to store downloaded music, and in an Internet-free world, music downloading is not a feasibility.

@ mattep74
I am aware of people who had difficulty fitting in. But even so, without the Internet maybe some people would try harder to find someone to hang out with in real life. Just an ironic butterfly to consider. The Internet provides an escape, but without the Internet, one still has to face their problem.

Originally Posted by Mysterius
Second, I find it interesting that, as far as I can tell, no one has disputed whether "basic" computing technology would develop faster or slower without the internet. You've claimed that networking somehow "diverts" resources away from other technology sectors. Networking has increased awareness of computing technology, and is a prime factor in the growth of computing technology. Far from diverting resources away, networking technology has increased the amount of resources poured into the technology sector as a whole.

Actually, people have criticized my timeline for assuming that it stops or retards progress in the information technology field because I postpone developments in networking as long as possible and assume nothing resembling an internet ever results, but then seeing as progress seems to conveniently accelerate decades ahead of OTL progress in electronics makes the scenario appear a little ASB. The problem with this criticism, is that I do not claim that progress is halted, or stops in some areas except where the "plot demands it" in which case it speeds up. Rather technological progress takes completely different avenues.

For instance, one way that networking improves computers is by linking numerous computers together, forming a sort of "aggregate computer" which exceeds the data storage capacity and processing speed of any individual computer in the system (i.e. via parallel processing). In this TL since networking does not take off, at least as early as it did, the initial response was to maximize the memory, speed, and brute power of individual computers. In short, OTL emphasis is more on quantity, ATL emphasis is more on quality. So progress in computing would be different.

Thinking about what you said concerning the role of networking in popularizing computers, you may be the only one who understands why PCs do not have the same role in my timeline as they do IOTL. After all, networking is a major application of PCs (probably was before the WWW). Thus in my timeline, delays in networking mean that PCs never take off in the general public, but the various supercomputers used in scientific research and by government departments, agencies, and bureaus as well as mainframes employed in business and industry would dominate. Meanwhile control panels in vehicles and machinery and all sorts of smart devices and toys would proliferate everywhere, including the home. PC-like computers would find a niche between mainframes and supercomputers on one hand and specialized devices on the other in the office and academia. But without networking, the information technology field would not be the same.

Of course, it seems that nobody has the same appreciation of the importance of world-shaking historical events on this process, but this is all I have left to say. Predicting technological developments is extremely difficult. Consider Star Trek for instance. We still do not have interstellar spacecraft or Scotty's teleportation device and many physicists still believe FTL travel like that depicted on the show will never be a feasibility, yet in the modern day we have many technologies about which Gene Roddenberry never would have dreamed. The space-age communicators in the Star Trek of the '60's and '70's are embarrassing when compared to today's cellular phones.

I just the the gut feeling that something resembling the internet would come into existence. The desire for computer user to interact was demonstrated well before the internet. Also, conducting business would benefit by a 'super network' environment provided by the 'internet'.
They would be a profit motive. For computer game designer & software developers, the opportunities would be increased in the 'internet' world.

(Regarding no IPOD - we had a variety of portable music players. The desire for improvement and to store music electronically would be there, internet or not)

In order for their not to be an internet you would have to alter development in other areas.

For instance, one way that networking improves computers is by linking numerous computers together, forming a sort of "aggregate computer" which exceeds the data storage capacity and processing speed of any individual computer in the system (i.e. via parallel processing). In this TL since networking does not take off, at least as early as it did, the initial response was to maximize the memory, speed, and brute power of individual computers. In short, OTL emphasis is more on quantity, ATL emphasis is more on quality. So progress in computing would be different.

I disagree. Supercomputers based on massive networks aren't the typical of OTL computers. Since we have PCs, the emphasis is on getting powerful hardware in a small frame. If small computers aren't as prevalent, then there's less incentive to minturize hardware. Your timeline, not OTL, would focus on quantity over quality.

Thinking about what you said concerning the role of networking in popularizing computers, you may be the only one who understands why PCs do not have the same role in my timeline as they do IOTL. After all, networking is a major application of PCs (probably was before the WWW). Thus in my timeline, delays in networking mean that PCs never take off in the general public, but the various supercomputers used in scientific research and by government departments, agencies, and bureaus as well as mainframes employed in business and industry would dominate. Meanwhile control panels in vehicles and machinery and all sorts of smart devices and toys would proliferate everywhere, including the home. PC-like computers would find a niche between mainframes and supercomputers on one hand and specialized devices on the other in the office and academia. But without networking, the information technology field would not be the same.

I don't see how specialized devices will drive miniturized computing technology forward faster than OTL PCs, though. And without the focus on the "information age", businesses would be less inclined to invest in cutting-edge computer technology, leading to slower development relative to OTL.

Of course, it seems that nobody has the same appreciation of the importance of world-shaking historical events on this process, but this is all I have left to say. Predicting technological developments is extremely difficult. Consider Star Trek for instance. We still do not have interstellar spacecraft or Scotty's teleportation device and many physicists still believe FTL travel like that depicted on the show will never be a feasibility, yet in the modern day we have many technologies about which Gene Roddenberry never would have dreamed. The space-age communicators in the Star Trek of the '60's and '70's are embarrassing when compared to today's cellular phones.

:confused: That still doesn't mean that computing hardware should be more advanced in a world not as focused on information technology, though.