What if the bicycle was invented in 1600?

marathag

Banned
During the Victorian period there was talk of making a bicycle cavalry - but it ended there with just the talk about it.
The bike was only used in both world wars as a messenger service.
As for making a battlefield cavalry charge... there would several results:
1. utter laughter by the enemy.
2. a total disaster by the bike cavalry - expect the death of the whole unit.
3. a success - expect military tech to change
4. all of the above.

5. IJA bicycle riders beat the hell out of the British in Malaya

You also need a fairly lightweight wheel to be able to get started easily under human power. So you need reasonsbly lightweight forms of steel, the idea of building a tangent-spoked wheel (allowing for much smaller spokes), and pneumatic tires (again rubber is the issue here but just one of the issues).

But I think one of the biggest issues is still the horse. Until mass manufacturing, a complicated machine like a bicycle will still be comparable in price to a horse, and has no real advantage to a horse.
You don’t have to feed a bicycle?

Do you have a link to anything more on this? "Bike cavalry" is such a bizarre idea and I love it. :p

513emwipfdL._SY450_.jpg

Didn't Leonardo DaVinci draw a wooden bicycle in one of his sketch pads? It was probably forgotten alongside his flying machines that wouldn't work, but the concept was there.

Didn't Leonardo DaVinci draw a wooden bicycle in one of his sketch pads? It was probably forgotten alongside his flying machines that wouldn't work, but the concept was there.
I think you're right, and as far as I'm aware, it was one of his more plausible designs. Actually, you could create a really fascinating timeline where DaVinci's drawings actually see some real-life applications within his life.

The more I think about it the more I think metallurgy is at least as serious an issue as the lack of vulcanization. Perhaps you could make something an iron frame with wooden wheels but it is going to be incredibly expensive likely very heavy and therefore will not gain widespread acceptance. As I have thought about this topic I think it nicely illustrates a number of technological advances coming together into a single product (vulcanization of rubber, the Bessemer process for steal, mass produced interchangeable parts). Each of these processes emerged in the 19th century and the bicycle emerged at around the same time. Unless we want to posit some POD for many technologies in the 16th century (or earlier) for the purpose of inventing bicycles I conclude the answer to this question is no.

What if not the bicycle proper being invented? but an exercise bike style device. and then Benjamin franklin uses it to generate electricity. :cool:

I think you're right, and as far as I'm aware, it was one of his more plausible designs. Actually, you could create a really fascinating timeline where DaVinci's drawings actually see some real-life applications within his life.
Many of the concerns on this thread are over materials, weight and durability. A light-duty device might be practical within a cathedral or hospital for maintenance and movement of light goods. From there, inventors can poke along and come up with improvements with the materials at hand.

What if not the bicycle proper being invented? but an exercise bike style device. and then Benjamin franklin uses it to generate electricity. :cool:

Why generate electricity using human power when you have waterwheels?? Maybe if you have tons of enslaved criminals that you have no other use for, perhaps? But seriously, once people figure out how to generate and use current electricity, existing waterwheels and windmills will be the first generators.

Many of the concerns on this thread are over materials, weight and durability. A light-duty device might be practical within a cathedral or hospital for maintenance and movement of light goods. From there, inventors can poke along and come up with improvements with the materials at hand.

Marginal benefit is insufficient. For example, imagine we are talking about carrying documents around a hospital. Presume a bicycle can go three times faster. This means that what might take a servant 6 minute to walk would now take 2 minutes. The benefit just is not there. This is even more true in the 17th century when the cost of labor is low (hence the prevalence of servants).

To be clear, I do not view it as implausible that Henri IV (or some other monarch) could have had an eccentric metal worker who builds such a device at exceedingly high cost. However, I do not think this would be particularly interesting from a "changing history" perspective.

Last edited:

marathag

Banned
Perhaps you could make something an iron frame with wooden wheels but it is going to be incredibly expensive likely very heavy and therefore will not gain widespread acceptance
Why?
Old School, with almost no metal
1200px-Wooden_Bicycle_in_Lithuania.jpg

the 'Boneshaker'
677_1.jpg

with some metal
cruiser.jpg
With some modern bits

Dirt roads were seldom graded. Usually a series of wheel ruts & crisscrossing foot paths between. Serious attempts began (and many failed) in this era to reproduce Roman style paved roads between cities. Where they succeeded the surface could accommodate lighter carriages and the bicycles. Of course the bicycles of the era would not be up to the high speeds of the modern machines A bit faster than walking pace makes them useful.

I'm thinking more of short distance use, in towns and through some structures and plazas. You might have a narrow bike delivery path alongside a water race. It would accommodate bread delivery, messages, etc. Inventors would try to improve the device continuously. The streets, though, would be better suited for horses and large-wheeled wagons, with which the primitive bicycle would not compete. So, bicycles with confined use can pre-date bicycles on the streets.