What if the Austro-Hungarians put the Eastern Front first?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1487
  • Start date
what is Arthur Arz von Straussenburg doing throughout all this? He led A-H 1st Army against the Romanian invasion and commanded during Caporetto, also led 6th corps during gorlice tarnow in OTL

Deleted member 1487

what is Arthur Arz von Straussenburg doing throughout all this? He led A-H 1st Army against the Romanian invasion and commanded during Caporetto, also led 6th corps during gorlice tarnow in OTL

At this point he is commanding a corps or small army 'group' meaning a corps plus some various units. During the Winter of 1915 OTL he ended up commanding an adhoc unit during the battle of Limanova and ITTL did something similar. He will be a corps commander during TTL's version of Gorlice-Tarnow.

Deleted member 1487

On the March 21st date, implies that the Bulgarian army starts a full mobilization no later than February 25. They had an 18 day mobilization plan that took closer to 25 days. I had to research this for my time line, and March 21 seems a bit too soon. Plausible, but on the fast side of plausible. There were issues to negotiate with the treaty, negotiations between the Ottomans and Bulgarians. Also, on the weather, are the mountain roads in good shape by March 21?

Originally, the A-H/German forces and Bulgarian forces were supposed to attack on the same day, but slow mobilization made the Bulgarians 7 days late. In your TL, will they attack on the same day as planned?

There is also an Order of Battle Issue with the Salonika forces. Most of these troops are not ready til closer to the September window. If the French/British move troops to Salonika, they either have to cancel Gallipoli or pull troops from France. So there will be a substantial butterfly effect. A lot will depend on how you write the story, but if you want fewer butterflies, don't do Salonika with an early Bulgarian attack. The free divisions are as follows for the early period

29th - February.
NZ & Aussie division - March - in training Egypt.
42nd Division - Defending Egypt by late 1914.
52nd Division - June

Stripping these means stripping the defenses of the Suez, and would be unwise, not that that being unwise stopped leaders on both sides.

The XII Corp units existed, but they look very, very Green to me.

The Bulgarians do attack, but are hastily trying to influence the campaign before the Serbs can get away. Their limited mobilization doesn't allow them to really influence the campaign very well.

Because of the Gallipoli invasion there won't be a Salonika here.

Deleted member 1487

Would anyone be interested if I were to restart this TL? I'm not happy with the current version, because its too wank-y for the Austro-Hungarians compared to how the POD would likely have turned out.
I've had one PM about my TLs and this is the one I have the most interest in writing ATM.

Don't know about wank-y, we held out a long time and fought bravely, despite losing almost all the regular army and lots of rolling stock right at the start. Without that, the improved quality and especially the logistics will add up.

I, for one, would be delighted to see good old Austria do better.

Deleted member 1487

Don't know about wank-y, we held out a long time and fought bravely, despite losing almost all the regular army and lots of rolling stock right at the start. Without that, the improved quality and especially the logistics will add up.

I, for one, would be delighted to see good old Austria do better.

No doubt, but the disadvantage of being further from supply centers ITTL by winter 1914-5 will have an impact as well.
Otherwise that sounds like a yea to me.

Would anyone be interested if I were to restart this TL? I'm not happy with the current version, because its too wank-y for the Austro-Hungarians compared to how the POD would likely have turned out.
I've had one PM about my TLs and this is the one I have the most interest in writing ATM.

Frankly i don't found it excessively wanky, but for added realism i will just get one or two stupid blunder for the CP (they can be minor or major...you are the author so it's your choice) as both side had plenty of this.
I vote yes, after all this is one of the inspiration for mine

Anderman

Donor

Yep i would be interested :)

Very interested :)

elkarlo

Banned
I thought the German firm BASF began Haber nitrate production in 1913?

The timeline has not addressed the Black Sea, so it should be a Russian lake effectively speaking (a few Ottoman ships with the Russians raiding the commerce). The Black Sea fleet capitol ships were 5 Pre-Dreadnoughts, and in mid-1915 they would gain two Dreadnoughts. The Goeben is a Battlecruiser and the Breslau is only a light cruiser. Those ships together could cause a problem for 1 maybe 2 Russian Pre-Dreadnoughts, but more than that would most likely mean the sinking of the German-Turkish ships. It is for that reason that the Russians tended to sail all five as one fleet knowing that the German ships could not touch them.

However, the wildcard this TTL did bring up is when Wiking said Romania expands trade. Now you could have Ottoman Ships flying under Romanian flags, or even actual Romanian ships sailing between Constanta and Constantinople. This would put Russia and the French and British subs that sneak into the Black Sea in a bind. They could sink the Romanian flagged ships, but that might push Romania to declare war on Russia. Her army might not be the best, but right now the last thing the Russians need is 500,000 more men to fight against.

Didn7t the Russian fleet tend to run back to port at any sign of sub activity, real or imagined? They really lacked initiative OTL

Elkarlo,

If you go back to page 9, post 166 (I think). I give a quick summary of the OTL Black Sea battle, in it I state the following:

"Though, the merchant raiding in the Black Sea was not very effective, the Russians were terrified of German subs and devoted a lot of destroyers to sub hunting missions. However, the sea planes always seemed to spot subs near Sebastopol."

So, yes the Russian's were very cautious of German/Central Power submarine usage. Also, I was going to mention that Wiking started a new WW1 thread, but I noticed you are already posting in it. I look forward to your future posts.

Last edited:

elkarlo

Banned
Another interesting question is Gallipoli ITTL. I think the Entente will see the need to open up the straits and possibly remove one of Russia's enemies (the Ottomans) even higher ITTL, however, the Ottomans have probably not lost ~250 000 men and most of their pre-war officers in the Caucasus campaign and will thus be better off to face the Entente. They had their best troops, best commanders and were very close to their best infrastructure and supply sources OTL - if/when Bulgaria joins, they might actually take the Ottomans up on their OTL offered divisions (the Ottomans had huge problems transporting and supplying troops in Caucasus and Palestine, so they offered to lend the Bulgarians some divisions against Serbia and the Salonika Army OTL).

I look forward to hearing more on this TL. :)

but I bet they will still attack the Suez like a bunch o' loons.

but I bet they will still attack the Suez like a bunch o' loons.

Actually the Ottomans did not really care about the Suez. It was the German officers attached to the Ottomans that pushed for that. The Ottomans wanted to gain lands in the Caucasus. Though, getting Egypt would be great, the Ottomans did not view it as realistic.

The German's however, felt it was imperative to get the Suez. To hurt British supply lines (unlikely), prestige, and most importantly for post war trade (Ottoman controlled Suez is more favorable for their shipping).

elkarlo

Banned
A neutral Italy is good for both sides.

More access to world trade for the CPs. And minus a major minor front

For the Entente, more guest workers, and no massive economic/military bailout of Italy.

elkarlo

Banned
Actually the Ottomans did not really care about the Suez. It was the German officers attached to the Ottomans that pushed for that. The Ottomans wanted to gain lands in the Caucasus. Though, getting Egypt would be great, the Ottomans did not view it as realistic.

The German's however, felt it was imperative to get the Suez. To hurt British supply lines (unlikely), prestige, and most importantly for post war trade (Ottoman controlled Suez is more favorable for their shipping).

That is true. They did drill the wells for the Ottomans. I just didn't know it was the Germans pushing for this so hard.

Anyhow, it was bungled about as badly as an operation can be.

And yes, the ottomans really wanted the Caucuses, they seemed obsessed with them.

Deleted member 1487

IIRC the Ottomans were not that interested in the Caucasus, but it was Enver Pasha's obsession, so being the most powerful of the Young Turks and the driving force behind the German alliance, was able to get his way very often, especially as war minister.

I always heard that the Ottomans and the Young Turks especially, were into the whole pan-turkic thing, where they wanted to unite all the turk tribes in the Caucasus, (the azeris mostly), and central asia.