What if Spelling Autocorrect Were Easier to Turn Off?

I'm wasting a increasing amount of time retyping nouns, foreign language words, acronyms, ect... that poorly educated autocorrect apps do not recognize. Would civilization benefit were this pest easy to disable or better done?

Driftless

Donor
I'm wasting a increasing amount of time retyping nouns, foreign language words, acronyms, ect... that poorly educated autocorrect apps do not recognize. Would civilization benefit were this pest easy to disable or better done?

I'm retired now, but much of my business correspondence was via email, and sooo many company names, products, and processes use variations of standard words, along with inter-capped spellings that you needed to proofread so carefully. Then the benefits of spellcheck were defeated. I had to build in lengthy customized dictionaries into Outlook.

Now I use an app called Grammarly, which gives me the option to correct spelling and punctuation - or not. It just highlights things in question

Last edited:

Oddly, my Kindle autocorrect has much less of a problem with Spanish words than English ones.

I write fiction. This means I have character and place names that are not in the dictionary. Lots of them. You actually do come to a point where there are too many red-squiggly-underlined words in the document, so MS Word turns off spell check. The blue-underlined grammar errors -- "'consider' using the Oxford comma -- still do appear, along with the brown underline for style, in case the passive voice is used.

On iOS I actually make enough typos to warrant using autocorrect. I just have to click the "yes I really mean this" option to the left of the predictive word choices every time iOS decides to duck with a proper noun. Lately, I've been working on a spreadsheet where I have words in all lowercase. By default iOS will capitalize the first letter of anything you type, and this means it will type a capital letter at the beginning. That'd be fine if you could do Change Case in Excel. But you can't. Still.

BTW, this is how to turn off autocorrect and predictive text for iOS.

Thanks for the reminder for auto correct deactivation. Ironically for email, where it would be more useful I am not seeing auto correct function.

Zagan

Donor
I have never used Autocorrect or a spelling checker. I prefer my mistakes to by my own. Of course, when I am not sure, I check the word in an online dictionary but that's all.

I think people take it for granted now, but autocorrect was part of a huge leap. The PDA/palm size computer market was obviously going to be a huge one once someone cracked I/O properly, but no one had it exactly right until the iPhone. Remember Palm and its "handwriting recognition" that made you learn an entirely new set of hieroglyphics? Then there was the screen/keyboard model popularized by Blackberry. What was truly revolutionary about the iPhone was how it merged input and output seamlessly with the onscreen keyboard. The idea had been waiting for years, and the capacitative touchscreen made it possible. Typing on a tiny keyboard with no feedback isn't a perfect solution, and autocorrect filled in that gap. Of course, there are other things like Swype and predictive text that are better for some people, but they're usually optional, whereas autocorrect is inherent to the smartphone design.