What if: Muhammad's Daughter Fatima Born a Boy

Five years before his revelations (605 AD), Muhammad's daughter Fatima was born. The lack of a direct male descendant of the prophet to rally around exacerbated the Shia-Sunni split, and significantly aided the Sunni cause. How would Islam, and the wider world have been effected if Fatima had been male?

lets simplify this

I think the question is what effect would Mohamed having a male "heir" survive to adulthood?

Fatima being cited as an example of a child of his which did and who despite being a woman in a male dominated society had a considerable effect on subsequent events, so on has to what greater effect would a man with a similarly forceful personality and keen mind might have had.

..would have a different name...

If he has an heir then the Caliph likely becomes hereditary. Well more so than it already was. I know it was an elected position but they had a habit of electing Caliphs from Muhammad's clan (or was it tribe?).

If he has an heir then the Caliph likely becomes hereditary. Well more so than it already was. I know it was an elected position but they had a habit of electing Caliphs from Muhammad's clan (or was it tribe?).

Well, the Sunni-Shia split was basically a schism between those who favored a purely hereditary succession (Shia) and those who favored an election (within the clan) based on prestige, charisma, and piety (Sunni).

I have a feeling that with "Fatimah" a man, the Sunni-Shia split would be very short, and would result in a decisive Shia victory. Alternatively, any struggle within Islam could be between Muhammad's son, and Muhammad's cousin and son-in-law Ali, the fourth Caliph who is regarded by Shias as both the first of the twelve Shia imams, and the last legitimate Caliph to hold the sunni office.

yea, however positing the survival of one of the known sons is abit less ASB then genderbending.

There are a fascinating number of natural ways in which you can give the Y sperms a head start. Apparently rear-end sex positions help to accomplish this by depositing them closer to the cervix, helping in their head start (y chromosome sperms are faster and more agile than their X counterparts, but are smaller and have thinner cell walls), orgasms also help to do this, and I've even heard that the caffeine in coffee might give your sperm cells something of a rush that aids in Y sperms making it to the egg. Take any one of those three factors into Fatima's conception, or any combination of them, or maybe all three, and you have plausibly altered history irrevocably.

No Alien Space Bats required.

instead of consolidating the mohammedan dynasty's rule, i can see his son & heir get assassinated before he can ascend to the throne (much like Ali or Alexander the Great's son) and the empire getting divided between rival contenders for the position with a much earlier schism. now this might end up with even stronger islam (cause who knows, khalid al ibn walid might turn out to be the progenitor of a great dynasty) but might doom islam to peninsula & levant.

beacuse i think that the elective nature of early caliphs helped with stability, as the guy who got the throne already acquired it due to his new vassals' consent and didin't have to earn it afterwards.