What if Mary The Rich of Burgundy survived?

Mind it, Bohemia and Hungary were different beasts at the time of PoD. Hungarian throne would be contested in 1490, as Matthias lacks legitimate heir, but in Bohemia Vladislaus already is king since 1471, Bohemia is loyal to him and Silesia, Moravia, Lusatia were easily recovered by him after Matthias' death (as was predicted in Treaty of Olomouc). So it is possible for Max to win Hungarian election in 1490 (it was possible even IOTL), but Vladislaus is going to keep Bohemia.
Regaining the Luxembourgian Inheritance won by the Albertian branch was pretty high on the wish list of the Leopoldine branch of the Habsburgs. Regaining Hungary before Bohemia might not be be bad, Maximilian & Mary were no Vlad Bene's and had the means to enforce it, so keeping Hungary stronger in the process.
Still Bohemia, with their electoral vote, will be on the Habsburg-Burgundy list, unlike Poland & Lithuania....

Regaining the Luxembourgian Inheritance won by the Albertian branch was pretty high on the wish list of the Leopoldine branch of the Habsburgs. Regaining Hungary before Bohemia might not be be bad, Maximilian & Mary were no Vlad Bene's and had the means to enforce it, so keeping Hungary stronger in the process.
Still Bohemia, with their electoral vote, will be on the Habsburg-Burgundy list, unlike Poland & Lithuania....
Czechs themselves were the ones deciding and they've choosen Vladislaus. Meanwhile Hungary would drag Habsburgs into conflict with Ottomans (who has their golden age at the time) generation earlier.

Czechs themselves were the ones deciding and they've choosen Vladislaus. Meanwhile Hungary would drag Habsburgs into conflict with Ottomans (who has their golden age at the time) generation earlier.
IMHO like IOTL Maximilian & Mary will still make a succession treaty to be the successor of Vladislaus, if he were to die without an heir. ITTL this will be limited to Bohemia, since Maximilian would already be king of Hungary and this is the only disputed left.
As for Hungary with the resources of Austria-Burgundy, IMHO Hungary can remain in a slightly better shape. By no means the Habsburgs could go on the offensive, they will be on the defence, but I don’t see a siege of Vienna happening either.

Last edited:
IMHO like IOTL Maximilian & Mary will still make a succession treaty to be the successor of Vladislaus, if he were to die without an heir. ITTL this will be limited to Bohemia, since Maximilian would already be king of Hungary and this is the only disputed left.
As for Hungary with the resources of Austria-Burgundy, IMHO Hungary can remain in a slightly better shape. By no means the Habsburgs could go on the offensive, they will be on the defence, but I don’t see a siege of Vienna happening either.

That probably wouldn't happen, because OTL's Vladislaus's heir died fighting Ottomans, Bohemia is safe from them so ATL son of Vladislaus shouldn't die so young.

Vladislaus would likely have different wife if he is not King of Hungary.
During this PoD Vladislaus would still be married to Barbara of Brandenburg, he already was married to her, when he became king of Bohemia, this was before he gained the Hungarian throne.

@Zygmunt Stary : Vladislaus II became a father quite late and only with his 3rd wife. The OTL double marriage was arranged after this happened and replaced previous OTL deals, which recognised Maximilian as his heir (OTL in Hungary and Bohemia), if Vladislaus would die childless.

During this PoD Vladislaus would still be married to Barbara of Brandenburg, he already was married to her, when he became king of Bohemia, this was before he gained the Hungarian throne.

@Zygmunt Stary : Vladislaus II became a father quite late and only with his 3rd wife. The OTL double marriage was arranged after this happened and replaced previous OTL deals, which recognised Maximilian as his heir (OTL in Hungary and Bohemia), if Vladislaus would die childless.
His first two marriages were not consumated (thus easy to be annuled) and in the case of Barbara he has never even seen her.

His first two marriages were not consumated (thus easy to be annuled) and in the case of Barbara he has never even seen her.
In case of Barbara of Brandenburg it seems you’re right, regarding Beatrice of Naples, I’m more sceptical, that that one wasn’t consummated, though that one was deemed bigamous by many.
The story of Vladislaus II and Barbara of Brandenburg and her father the Elector of Brandenburg; reminds me of the marriage duke Rudolf IV the Founder of Austria had with Catherine of Bohemia due to her father HRE Charles IV of Bohemia (Luxembourg).

In case of Barbara of Brandenburg it seems you’re right, regarding Beatrice of Naples, I’m more sceptical, that that one wasn’t consummated, though that one was deemed bigamous by many.
The story of Vladislaus II and Barbara of Brandenburg and her father the Elector of Brandenburg; reminds me of the marriage duke Rudolf IV the Founder of Austria had with Catherine of Bohemia due to her father HRE Charles IV of Bohemia (Luxembourg).
Vladislaus have not consumated marriage with Beatrice (whom he disliked) as from the very beginning he intended dissolve that marriage. He even ordered bishop to use wrong formula during marriage ceremony to undermine its validity.

As @Jan Olbracht said that was because he didn't consummate, IMHO if he's king of only Bohemia than it's more likely than not that he would have an heir.

If Richard is wed to Anne of Brittany Edward could marry Johanna of Castile and inherit Spain, assuming the other marriages go as irl.
easy way to "force" that would be to have Juan die earlier, so there's no chance of a match with Katherine of York (where does she end up then?) And Edward IV- who Isabel la Catolica was very opposed to- proposes his son and heir for Juana.

Give how reluctant Edward were regarding paying for dowries, I'm rather sceptical over how many of those marriages would come true in the end.
Really hoping richard would get Anne to keep britanny away from france. Plus a plantagenet duke there sounds amazing right?

Really hoping richard would get Anne to keep britanny away from france. Plus a plantagenet duke there sounds amazing right?
I know I sound like a Debbie Downer here, but I can't imagine that France will take a Yorkist Brittany laying down at this point. I think that there will be a Mad War between the crown and the duchy regardless at some point before the year 1500 even if Anne marries Richard.

I know I sound like a Debbie Downer here, but I can't imagine that France will take a Yorkist Brittany laying down at this point. I think that there will be a Mad War between the crown and the duchy regardless at some point before the year 1500 even if Anne marries Richard.
Let's hoe anne and richard can make it work. Their first son could be arthur, for the previous dukes and the mythological king. ties things nicely

Give how reluctant Edward were regarding paying for dowries, I'm rather sceptical over how many of those marriages would come true in the end.
Forgot about that. Damn, Edward had marriages lined up with everyone. Shows how big of a lead the House of York blew.

Elizabeth's dowry to Charles VIII, IIRC, was basically a restitution of the money that Louis XI had been paying Edward for years since the treaty of Picquigny. In order to make up the loss of this income, he'd negotiated a separate treaty in 1479/1480 with Max and Marie by which they would pay him and he'd supply them with (think it was) 4-5000 English soldiers in the event of being attacked by France. So, Elizabeth of York's dowry would've been paid by Edward using Burgundian moneys*. Anne of York's dowry was settled by around 1481-1483 by a further series of treaties. That leaves Cecily and Katherine. And given the tumultuous situation in Scotland, Edward would likely use that as an excuse to not pay the dowry (or "hang on to it" for "just in case" Albany usurps the throne and sends James IV fleeing southward over the border).**

*it was why when Marie died, Louis XI simply decided to cut out the middleman and marry his son to Margarethe
**Edward wasn't brilliant at foreign affairs, but he knew how to get his way- and he had the advantage that Marie-Max were inexperienced/desperate plus the Diabolical Duchess in Residence, was his sister.

he'd supply them with (think it was) 4-5000 English soldiers in the event of being attacked by France.
Color me extremely suspicious about him holding up on that bargain.
*it was why when Marie died, Louis XI simply decided to cut out the middleman and marry his son to Margarethe
**Edward wasn't brilliant at foreign affairs, but he knew how to get his way- and he had the advantage that Marie-Max were inexperienced/desperate plus the Diabolical Duchess in Residence, was his sister.
Yes that is true.

Color me extremely suspicious about him holding up on that bargain.
I found it on the Richard III society's page to display just how badly Edward IV understood foreign policy (but they make no mention of the fact that the agreement was so bad that Richard III renewed the treaty when he became king- minus the whole "Anne of York to marry Philippe the Handsome" bit).