What If - Finland had been prepared for the Winter War?

This is by far the best update up to date in my opinion! I really hope we'll hear more from Arabella and Hakkarainen at some point in the future after the switch back to history too. Seriously. This. Is. Awesome.

On other point, the correct term for squad/group/unit is "ryhmä" instead of "rhymää". :)

Vänrikki Arabella Jakobson is a Grade A badass. She needs a medal, seriously.

Jumping forward a post here, the “Kuolonkenttä” Post comes before this but I'll be posting it next seeing as this is finished....

Postscript 1:

Kaarina Hannula finally decided to sign up for active service with the Lotta’s in the Armeija and do her year-long volunteer training the day before her 18th birthday. She’d been in the Cadets and served on a searchlight crew through the Talvisota. She’d turned 18 three months after the Peace Treaty with the Soviet Union was signed. She half-wished she’d turned 18 earlier, while the war was being fought, when she could have joined the Army and served up near the front in a combat unit instead of just helping point a searchlight up into the sky at night. When she’d told her CO she wanted to sign up for conscript training and active service, her CO had filled out her papers right away, arranged her travel tickets and given her a couple of days to say goodbye to her family before she left. Her Dad and her older brothers had been off in the Army, not yet demobbed so she didn’t get to say goodbye to them. Her young sisters were green with envy and her Mom cried. But her Granddad clapped her on the shoulder and told her well done. The younger girls in her searchlight unit all told her she’d be seeing them as soon as they were old enough to do their service. The older girls, most of them, looked shamefaced and said not a lot.

It took Kaarina a couple of days of travel to get to her training camp by train and then by truck. The trains were still busy ferrying Karelian and Ingrian refugees from Russia in the aftermath of the war, as well as moving families back to their homes and farms on the Isthmus, the schedules were being followed, sort of, but there were constant delays and long waits. She ended up arriving at the training camp with a group of other girls, most with their uniforms and kit. Some, like Kaarina, already with their issue weapons – Kaarina’s was her old and well-used Russian M/34-38 PPD with a 73-round drum that had been reissued for the Home Guard units. It wasn’t much of a training camp she thought as they jumped off the truck that had carried them out from the train station for miles into the forest somewhere north of Joensuu. Just a collection of old tents and dugouts scattered around under the trees and a lot of young women, most about her own age, some older, some like her in uniforms, some still in civilian clothes. The men who seemed to be running the camp were mostly older men, or men with obvious injuries, and against Kaarina’s expectations, they were actually quite nice to the girls.

Kaarina had expected lots of shouting and yelling like in Cadets when they wanted to give you a hard time, but instead they were lined up and had their kit checked to make sure everything was standard and the girls had the right stuff. And the girls without uniforms got them and they got winter-issue jackets and smocks and gloves and helmets and the new body armour and all the stuff that you never got issued as a Cadet. They were fed at the mess tents, quite a nice meal too and lots of time to eat it. The only bit that Kaarina didn’t like was that she had to turn in her lovely well-cared for Tokarev (“you’ll get it back after, don’t worry”) and all she got in return was an old and very used Mosin-Nagant Rifle that, to add insult to injury, was showing a bit of rust. Then they were each assigned to a ten-girl rhymä and shown to their tents. All the girls, at least all those who had been in the Cadets, were used to setting up in tents and they showed the girls who weren’t what was expected. Kaarina sat down and cleaned her rifle and then helped the older woman next to her who hadn’t ever been in Cadets to clean hers. Before they were left for the night, one of the men showed them where the nearest bomb-shelters were and explained what to do if the siren went off.

“But we signed a Peace Treaty,” one of the girls exclaimed. “The war’s over.”
Everyone just looked at her and then one of the girls snickered. “You trust them?”
The questioner blushed. The next morning, early, they were unceremoniously told to fall in on the “parade ground” for inspection by the Officer in Command of their Army-Training. The “parade ground” was a clearing in the forest. They formed up in ranks, automatically, the way they’d been trained in Cadets, each rank one and a half meters behind the others, each girl an arms length apart from her neighbours in the ranks, all of them in their newly-issued combat uniforms, the mottled grey-green-brown trousers and smocks over the body armour, boots and helmets that were just like the men’s. The ex-cadets like Kaarina showed the “civilian” girls where to stand – and how to stand – as best they could in the time they had. One of the Kersantti-Instructors took a few minutes to give the new girls in Kaarina’s joukkue instructions on how to stand at attention and how to stand at ease and they practised a few times until even the civilian girls knew what to do, more or less, and then the Kersantti had them all stand at ease, showing the civilian girls how to do that as well.

The first Kaarina saw of their Officer was a glint of early morning sun on metal in her peripheral vision. She moved her eyes to look and glimpsed her as she stepped into the clearing, assisted on either side by a Lotta-Kersantti. The Kersantti saw her at the same time and called them to attention. Standing unmoving, Kaarina saw the Officer shake off their help and walk stiffly towards them. She was medium height, her hair short and blonde, she wore wire-framed glasses and the hilt of a hukari jutted upwards behind her left shoulder, a pistol holstered on her belt, an old and well-used looking Suomi carried easily on a sling. She wore her Lohikäärme Vuota under her camoflauge jacket, the body armour made her look bulky and solid. Kaarina thought she was quite pretty until she came closer and Kaarina saw her eyes, eyes which were a cold ice-blue, cold and hard with a look to them that made her shiver. Then she recognised the face and the medal on the camoflauge jacket that glinted in the early morning sunlight. The Mannerheim Cross. Only one woman in the Finnish Army had ever been awarded that medal.

“It’s Kapteeni Jakobson,” the girl next to her breathed, her hushed whsiper one of awe. Kaarina shook her head slightly. As if anybody wouldn’t recognise her, her face had been blazoned across every newspaper in Finland, and probably around the world for that matter. Vänrikki Jakobson and her forty four Lotta’s against two thousand Russians. The Marski pinning the Mannerheim Cross on her as she lay in a hospital bed. The stories of her Field Kitchen Unit fighting off a horde of blood-thirsty Russians had filled the papers, along with a photo of her decapitating a Russian soldier as he tried to shoot a Finnish Officer. Their Kersantti saluted snappily. The Officer saluted back, then stood, silently appraising the girls one by one for an eternity. Her eyes fell on Kaarina, she could feel them on her, measuring her, assessing her. And Kaarina knew that she didn’t quite measure up. Not to this Officer.

She walked silently to the left of the formation, close to Kaarina, who was in the front rank, looked the girl their up and down. The Kersantti followed her, a step behind. “You, girl, don’t look very fit. You will change that. Clear?”
Speechless, the girl nodded her head. The Officer looked at her for a moment before running her eyes over the rest of the formation. “When I ask you a question, you will answer it loudly and clearly. You will start by saying Rouva at the beginning and at the end of every answer. So, let us try this again.” She looked at the girl. “Is what I have told you clear?”
Her voice shaking, the girl answered loudly. “Rouva! Yes Rouva.”

The Officer nodded. Moved to the next girl and looked her up and down. “You look fit enough,” was all she said before moving on. By the time the Officer came to stand in front of Kaarina, she knew that you really could make someone turn to jelly with just a few words, none of them particularly harsh or critical, just comments and the occasional instruction to the Kersantti. The Officer looked Kaarina up and down and nodded. “You’ve been in the Cadets how long, Sotamies?”
“Rouva. Six years Rouva.”
“What’s your name girl?”
“Rouva. Hannula Rouva.”
“Very good.” She turned her head to look at the Kersantti. “Make Hannula Korpraali for her rhymä.”
“Rouva!”
Kaarina felt a surge of pride. The Officer must have seen it on her face. She smiled, a smile that didn’t touch her eyes. “There’s a price to pay for leadership girl, you’ll learn that.”
Kaarina didn’t know what she meant, and it wasn’t a question, so she said nothing. The Officer nodded once more and moved on.

When she was finished her inspection, the Officer moved stiffly back to the front of the formation. She looked at them again for another long long moment before speaking, her eyes holding them still:

“I am Kapteeni Arabella Jakobson. I am responsible for your training, for turning every one of you into soldiers. Finland is no longer at war, but you all know that war continues beyond our borders. Finland is free but our brothers and sisters in Estonia are not. Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Denmark, Norway, all our friends and neighbours, with the sole exception of Sweden, have fallen under the iron-clad feet of the Bolsheviks or the Germans. And soon enough Germany will turn on Russia and war will again draw close to us, whether we wish it or not. The Army is needed to guard and protect Finland, and as Active Service Lotta’s, you have volunteered not just to serve at home, but to join the Army on the frontlines. And as soldiers in the Army, you Lotta’s must be prepared to fight and not just to fight, but to win the fight against anyone who again threatens us.”

“You, you have all volunteered to join the Armeija and to fight for Finland. And I, I am responsible for turning you little girls into soldiers – not just Lotta’s with rifles, but into real soldiers of the Finnish Army. Whether we will it or no, all of us will be called upon if war once again threatens out country. As Lotta’s of the Army, you, as I was, may be called on to fight on the frontline. We do not intentionally put Lotta’s into frontline combat, but as we all know, it happens.” Arabella smiled at them, her expression grim. “As I know myself all to well, it happens, and just like our men who are soldiers, we Lottas can die. My task is to ensure that if you need to fight, you are trained and prepared to do so. When you are trained to my satisfaction, you will be sent to join units of the Armeija. You may even be under my command after your training is complete.”

“In preparation for that day, I am going to train you to kill, and I am going to train you to die, if die you must. Some of you may even die while you are training here. That is what war is about, that is what being a soldier is about. If you don’t like that, get out now, while you still can. I don’t need you or want you unless you want to be here … on my terms. Remember, any enemy we fight will care less for your opinion that I do ….. and I don’t care at all. BUT if you stay, and if I decide you are acceptable to the Army, there will be something which you can be proud of. When women everywhere in the world are second class citizens of their own countries, you will not be. You will have paid the price, as a soldier in our Army you will be the equal of anyone, anywhere and THAT is something you can and will be proud of.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFU7YVFrZbw

Siniristilippumme, (Our blue-crossed flag,)
sulle käsin vannomme, sydämin: (for you we swear the oath: )
sinun puolestas elää ja kuolla (To live and die for you)
on halumme korkehin. (is our greatest wish.)

Kuin taivas ja hanki Suomen (Like the sky and snows of Finland)
ovat värisi puhtahat. (your colors are pure.)
Sinä hulmullas mielemme nostat (With your streaming you rouse our minds)
ja kotimme korotat. (and strengthen our homes.)

Isät, veljet verellään (Fathers and brothers with their blood)
vihki sinut viiriksi vapaan maan. (inaugurated you as the banner of our free country)
Ilomiellä sun jäljessäs käymme (With joy we follow you)
teit' isäin astumaan. (on the road traveled by our fathers.)

Sun on kunnias kunniamme, (Your glory is our honor,)
sinun voimasi voimamme on. (your strength is ours.)
Sinun kanssasi onnemme jaamme (With you we share our happiness)
ja iskut kohtalon. (and the blows of destiny.)

Siniristilippumme, (Our blue-crossed flag,
sulle valan vannomme kallihin: (for you we swear the oath: )
sinun puolestas elää ja kuolla (To live and die for you)
on halumme korkehin. (is our greatest wish.)

Last edited:
This is by far the best update up to date in my opinion! I really hope we'll hear more from Arabella and Hakkarainen at some point in the future after the switch back to history too. Seriously. This. Is. Awesome.

On other point, the correct term for squad/group/unit is "ryhmä" instead of "rhymää". :)

Kiitos for the kind words - thats going to be hard to live up to. And yes, there will be more on Arabella and Hakkarainen sporadically, plus I'll be slipping in a few more characters. I think I may have mentioned once or twice that all of this started off more or less as background for a novel I was hacking away at for fun, and the background kind of grew. The Hakkarainen bits and pieces are kind of rough first draft excerpts from the novel that I was playing at.... which may emerge one day once I get the plot straightened out. Sort of a Sven Hassel / John Ringo / Tom Kratman / David Drake / Michael Z Williamson / W E B Griffin mix......

Last edited:
Vänrikki Arabella Jakobson is a Grade A badass. She needs a medal, seriously.

Can anybody say "Mannerheim Cross"? Man, what an intense update. Kudos, CanKiwi!

Edit: Posted this before reading the latest update.
And, CanKiwi, you did NOT just mention Kratman in a positive manner, did you? :eek: I read one of his excretions, sorry "novels" once and even thinking back to it, I still feel soiled. :mad:

Last edited:
Can anybody say "Mannerheim Cross"? Man, what an intense update. Kudos, CanKiwi!

Edit: Posted this before reading the latest update.
And, CanKiwi, you did NOT just mention Kratman in a positive manner, did you? :eek: I read one of his excretions, sorry "novels" once and even thinking back to it, I still feel soiled. :mad:

Hey, happy you enjoyed it Jotun :D

Kratman? Love the guy! If you pick up his latest, "Come and Take Them", you'll see in the acknowledgements, among many others, a certain "Nigel the Kiwi" :D. I find his readers are split between those who REALLY enjoy his books and those who really DETEST his books, there's no real in-between. I do enjoy the Carrera-universe series .....

Which one did you read? State of Disobedience is probably the least good. "Watch on the Rhine" seemed to arouse some feelings from many as well! Can't imagine why! :eek:. Anyhow, I do admit to Kratman being a major influence on my "wannabe" novel... but only one among many. I like the Baen Books military-SF style.... and not forgetting Sven Hassel either, I love those old books. Sven, Porta, Tiny, Heide, "the Old 'Un". Kind of played with them a bit before settling on hijacking Linna's characters.

I agree in that the battle of the field kitchen 193 was the best post until now. This i asume mediatized battle and it "heroes" will seriosly change the outlook of the western world of women soldiers. I forsee a much faster integration with regular forces. At least in Finish and allied armys. If they show that it works then other armys might folow them. Now in this WWII the finish and russians will show that women soldiers do work.

I want to see thye reaction of the UK to this battle. After all a british Lords grandaughter fought and won an important battle against a force 50 larger then hers.

I agree in that the battle of the field kitchen 193 was the best post until now. This i asume mediatized battle and it "heroes" will seriosly change the outlook of the western world of women soldiers. I forsee a much faster integration with regular forces. At least in Finish and allied armys. If they show that it works then other armys might folow them. Now in this WWII the finish and russians will show that women soldiers do work.

Overall tho, I don't think it will change the way anyone uses women soldiers. Too many cultural issues.

For the Finnish Army even in this ATL, they use more Lotta's but not in the front-line except by accident. The improved training Arabella is in charge of is more to ensure that if accidents happen, the Lottas are better trained. For example, if Arabella had better known how to call in and control Artillery, they might have had a better chance. That said, the Lotta's in this story were armed and trained to use personal firearms, but not that well trained in small unit tactics and how to fight a defensive engagement effectively. They did well despite that, but with better training.......

I want to see thye reaction of the UK to this battle. After all a british Lords grandaughter fought and won an important battle against a force 50 larger then hers.

Hmmmm, that's a good point. Still tossing up who the female british reporter is to be. I was toying with Jessica Mitford, but at that stage I think she had a young child so unlikely she'd be at the front. But she was a bit more girly than Virginia Cowles or Martha Gellhorn so maybe it is Jessica - I doubt Cowles or Gellhorn would have called the Finns mad for attacking the Russians, they were professionals, they'd both been under fire and they'd probably be taking photos and notes.

Even in the middle August 1940, it's likely the photo and the story would make the British papers. And certainly the US news....esp with a female British reporter there....

I have to say I'm enjoying the new posts immensely.

I do have just a few linguistic gripes to improve the text though:

1. The word for army is armeija. Armeijan is the possessive form of it.

2. Use of the word paska. Although it is a swear-word and used as such, it's not used quite like it is in English i.e. a quick, almost meaningless swear for any occasion, but usually in conjunction with a stream of other swears or as an adjective when talking about an unlikable object or situation.

3. Use of Anglo military conventions of speech and the NATO phonetic alphabet. The Finnish military is heavily influenced by Germanic traditions, so when speaking to higher ranks, the correct way is to say herra/rouva [insert rank here](literally Mr/Mrs, but more like German Herr in formality). There is no equivalent to sir/ma'am. Clunky, but that's the way the military likes it. As for the phonetic alphabet, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a Finnish one

4. A small issue, but Marski sounds more natural than 'the Marski'. Although it is a shortening of his rank, it is equally a kind of nick-name. Of course a debate on how definite articles should be treated in this kind of text could fill a whole thread.

And lastly a question about the universe. Did you implement a high school Cadet program in one of your earlier installments?

I have to say I'm enjoying the new posts immensely.

I do have just a few linguistic gripes to improve the text though:

1. The word for army is armeija. Armeijan is the possessive form of it.

2. Use of the word paska. Although it is a swear-word and used as such, it's not used quite like it is in English i.e. a quick, almost meaningless swear for any occasion, but usually in conjunction with a stream of other swears or as an adjective when talking about an unlikable object or situation.

3. Use of Anglo military conventions of speech and the NATO phonetic alphabet. The Finnish military is heavily influenced by Germanic traditions, so when speaking to higher ranks, the correct way is to say herra/rouva [insert rank here](literally Mr/Mrs, but more like German Herr in formality). There is no equivalent to sir/ma'am. Clunky, but that's the way the military likes it. As for the phonetic alphabet, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a Finnish one

4. A small issue, but Marski sounds more natural than 'the Marski'. Although it is a shortening of his rank, it is equally a kind of nick-name. Of course a debate on how definite articles should be treated in this kind of text could fill a whole thread.

Thx, I'll go back and do some tweaking. Rouva & Herra it shall be :) - and somebody passed me the Finnish military phonetic alphabet recently as well. Paska - any suggestions on a good one word substitute welcome. What would a good Finnish girl say when she sees 2000 russians coming down the road with intent to kill.....

Marski - yeah, it gets down to how it sounds when you write it in English with Finnish phrases and expressions thrown in while also keeping it easy to follow.

And lastly a question about the universe. Did you implement a high school Cadet program in one of your earlier installments?

I've mentioned it a few times without writing it up in any detail (that's coming). Basic premise is that from about 1931 there exists a Military Cadet program for 12-17 year olds that is compulsory for all school students, male and female. The Suojluskuntas boy-soldiers and Lotta-girls still exist, but most of the training is through the Cadet program in schools. This covers the basic military skills with an emphasis on shooting, small unit tactics and movement and the basics such as navigation, survival, medical and the like. Cadets are issued their own weapons and uniforms and keep these at home (as, by the late 1930's, do all reservists, in the Suojeluskuntas or not, as well as all Lottas). We're talking a well-armed populace here :D

So Arabella, being about 20, would have been in the Cadet's for a good few years before she completed her military training (likely over 1939) and she would have been a very new Officer at the start of the War. And having just finished High School and completed her one year of military training (cut short by the war starting so she didn't get the full 18 months for officer-trainees), she has no technical skills, hence she ends up commanding a Field Kitchen unit. However, I missed mentioning she is a black-belt in KKT and an instructor in KKT-unarmed combat. That's in the back story that I haven't written up for her, altho I have a good scene where she flattens her instructor and is hammered for her achievement :). Her Mama of course thinks that KKT is most unladylike and as for hukari and knife fighting, "....it's just too unspeakably ghastly for words dear. It makes me shudder to watch little Arabella with those wicked looking knives, its so ... it's so ... Finnish!" (Mrs Penelope Jakobson, nee Penelope Farquhar, in conversation with the wife of the British Ambassador, 1935).

Last edited:
Yes, it was epic indeed and I enjoyed it a lot. Nice writing style CanKiwi.

But... There will be also negative responses when the word of war crimes and murder committed by men under command of Kapteeni Hakkarainen reach the papers around the world. At that time murder of injured soldiers were still not taken lightly by general population. If he left them there due to not having means to care of them, it can be a bit more justified, but shooting them on the spot was bit harsh. Kapteeni Hakkarainen action basically gave Soviets and leftist around the world very nice propaganda tool: "Look what Fascist Finland is doing."

Yes, it was epic indeed and I enjoyed it a lot. Nice writing style CanKiwi.

But... There will be also negative responses when the word of war crimes and murder committed by men under command of Kapteeni Hakkarainen reach the papers around the world. At that time murder of injured soldiers were still not taken lightly by general population. If he left them there due to not having means to care of them, it can be a bit more justified, but shooting them on the spot was bit harsh. Kapteeni Hakkarainen action basically gave Soviets and leftist around the world very nice propaganda tool: "Look what Fascist Finland is doing."

Thx :)

But keep in mind the reporter is British and at this stage, even if its Jessica Mitford (who was a Communist) she's very pro-Finnish. By now the whole world is aware of the Soviet Union death camps on the Kola (heavily publicised by the Finns) and the discovery of the boneyards along the path of the White Sea Canal where so many soviet political prisoners and "class enemies" died (likewise heavily publicised). The Finns have a truely outstanding PR organisation and no doubt these discoveries play to the worst fears of the anti-communist conservatives in Britain, the Dominions and the US.

Keep in mind this is well before the Nazis start up their own camps, so the soviets are looked on with horror and loathing. The "Evil Empire". So reporters are likely to excuse any Finnish excesses, and any Soviet attempts to publicise will in any case be looked on as Soviet propaganda. Hakkarainen may however get his knuckles rapped for going slightly overboard. On the other hand, his little excess will more than likely enamour him to outstanding chaps such as Susitaval who can use a good hard man!

Sure, it is British reporter but how things works with reporters, usually it gets out. Maybe she just took one extra picture of Finish soldier shooting wounded. Part of the public will say, they deserve it, part will say Finland is not much better, part may say that even these soldiers are victim of Stalin's butchers and look what Finland did to them. I just think it would be better for Finland if it happened differently. Maybe it just me but it struck me as unnecessary cruelty. And don't take me wrong, I know what would happen to Lottas if they were captured.

Anyway, we want to get Finland out of this war and WWII with as much clean shield as possible. Just my two penni in the discussion. ;)

Sure, it is British reporter but how things works with reporters, usually it gets out. Maybe she just took one extra picture of Finish soldier shooting wounded. Part of the public will say, they deserve it, part will say Finland is not much better, part may say that even these soldiers are victim of Stalin's butchers and look what Finland did to them. I just think it would be better for Finland if it happened differently. Maybe it just me but it struck me as unnecessary cruelty. And don't take me wrong, I know what would happen to Lottas if they were captured.

Anyway, we want to get Finland out of this war and WWII with as much clean shield as possible. Just my two penni in the discussion. ;)

It usually does get out. However, in this case the brittiläinen reporter is a little shell-shocked and a few Russians shot on the side is not exactly her highest priority. Here's how Kuolonkenttä ends.

The artillery stopped at last. To the south of the Sika’s, as far as the eye could see, lay a desert of dirt, shredded fields, broken trees, bodies and pieces of bodies. In the sudden silence a new sound replaced the endless thunder of explosives. Shrill and unearthly, the wailing and screaming of the wounded, the maimed, the insane.
“So many,” Salo whispered, half to himself, almost inaudible. “So damn many.”
Linna looked over his shoulder, eyes on Hakkareinen. “Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.”
Hakkareinen shrugged, his expression unchanged. “Quote Neitzsche to the Russkies Linna, not to me, they’re the ones gazing into the Abyss. And when they gaze in, we're looking right back out at them.”
Linna looked as if he was going to say something more, then thought better of it.

At last, at long last, Hakkarainen sighed and turned away, his face twitching slowly back into a semblance of normality. Picked up the mike. “All Hakkarainen elements withdraw to the crossroads,” he ordered, his voice as calm as if he was ordering them on a summer’s drive. The Sika’s changed into gear, rumbled through their U-turns, wheels throwing up clods of grass and dirt, bumping over bodies, rumbling slowly northwards. On the stretcher in the centre of the Sika, Vänrikki Jakobson lay oblivious. On the floor, huddled in a corner surrounded and half-buried by a sea of shell-cases, trembling hands clutching the Suomi tight, the brittiläinen reporter wept, the tears creating streaks through the dirt and blood and cordite that smeared her face. The men stood silently in their Sika’s, gazing out at the carnage they had wrought. This time there was no chit-chat, no cynical asides, no laughter. Even Lehto said nothing as the Sika’s jolted and crunched through the sea of torn and dismembered bodies.

Hmmmm, that's a good point. Still tossing up who the female british reporter is to be. I was toying with Jessica Mitford, but at that stage I think she had a young child so unlikely she'd be at the front. But she was a bit more girly than Virginia Cowles or Martha Gellhorn so maybe it is Jessica - I doubt Cowles or Gellhorn would have called the Finns mad for attacking the Russians, they were professionals, they'd both been under fire and they'd probably be taking photos and notes.

Even in the middle August 1940, it's likely the photo and the story would make the British papers. And certainly the US news....esp with a female British reporter there....
In OTL Decca was like, three months pregnant in August 1940, so I see no problem with having it be her rather than Cowles or Gellhorn.
CanKiwi said:
Thx, I'll go back and do some tweaking. Rouva & Herra it shall be :) - and somebody passed me the Finnish military phonetic alphabet recently as well. Paska - any suggestions on a good one word substitute welcome. What would a good Finnish girl say when she sees 2000 russians coming down the road with intent to kill.....
I know what I would say in that situation, but a) I have seldom been accused of being good, and 2) being raised in the late 20th century rather than early 20th century, not to mention C) middle class (maybe even lower-middle) rather than upper or at the very least upper-middle, I am surely far coarser in speech than a genteel maiden from the very flower of Finnish society. "Vittu!" is what I would say. It's the kind of situation where you would want to use the most powerful swearword you can think of. (Yes, nowadays many people use that word pretty much like punctuation, but tempora mutandur and all that.)

In OTL Decca was like, three months pregnant in August 1940, so I see no problem with having it be her rather than Cowles or Gellhorn.

Brilliant, thanks. I was going to dive back in to one of my bios of the Mitford sisters and check but you have relieved me of the necessity. Decca it is!

I know what I would say in that situation, but.......I am surely far coarser in speech than a genteel maiden from the very flower of Finnish society. "Vittu!" is what I would say. It's the kind of situation where you would want to use the most powerful swearword you can think of.

Urk! I can't quite see a flower of Finnish high society saying "Vittu"!" especially back then, altho she may have picked up a few questionable expressions from her "girls". English is such an easy language to these expressions, there are so many to choose from :D, it's just knowing what one would say in Finnish (back then and by Arabella) that's rather more difficult - for me anyhow.... Paska! seemed so ... appropriate, but its these cultural and lingusitic nuances.....