What if Edward VIII never abdicated?

And if they don't they accidently fall down a flight of stairs and break their necks.

would the British political establishment really go as far as assassinate their monarch, if he were to refuse to cooperate with the ruling party and would not be willing to abdicate ?

No. All these weird scenarios (inc. serious historians like Roy Jenkins in his Churchill bio!) wildly overestimate both Edward's courage, IQ and subtlety when it comes to the myth of Quisling Eddie.

No. Churchill wanted a Battleship named after Oliver Cromwell, I think it would have been one of the Queen Elizabeth class.

George V objected saying that he was not going to name one of His Majesty’s Ships after a Regicide. This was prior to 1914; George V reigned until 1936.
Ah. We were discussing WWII, so I thought you meant the King who had reigned then.

No. All these weird scenarios (inc. serious historians like Roy Jenkins in his Churchill bio!) wildly overestimate both Edward's courage, IQ and subtlety when it comes to the myth of Quisling Eddie.

Edward aside, what would the possible reactions of the ruling British political class be to a hypothetical intelligent, somewhat popular monarch that tries to get his way and would not abdicate under any circumstances in, say, the 20' and 30'. Said monarch would also be willing to resort to manipulation and all sorts of political maneuvering.

(inspired in my question by OTL king Carol I of Romania)

When Chamberlain resigned, Edward might have named Lord Halifax rather than Churchill as PM. Halifax would have made peace with Germany. A huge disaster.

Last edited:

Cook

Banned
And if they don't they accidently fall down a flight of stairs and break their necks.
That’s a bit melodramatic. No, the Monarch is bound by rules and traditions far stronger than any laws. This it England of the 1930s and ‘40s we’re talking about here.
would the British political establishment really go as far as assassinate their monarch?
No, a disapproving look and polite cough would have been enough.
Ah. We were discussing WWII, so I thought you meant the King who had reigned then.
It was by way of background detail. Another amusing detail is that while it is the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force, it is the British Army; the army tracing its history back to Cromwell and Parliament’s defeat of Charles I.
a hypothetical intelligent, somewhat popular monarch that tries to get his way...would also be willing to resort to manipulation and all sorts of political maneuvering.(inspired in my question by OTL king Carol I of Romania)
That seems like a contradiction. A hypothetically intelligent monarch would know that his position rests on lines of tradition, duty and loyalty running in both directions. He would know that the king can have a quiet word with the Prime Minister and that’s as far as his authority goes. The British were more subtle than the Ottomans and Buckingham Palace differs from the Sublime Porte in that the gates aren’t locked, but it is a gilded cage none the less.

When Chamberlain resigned, Edward might have named Lord Halifax rather than Churchill as PM. Halifax would have made peace with Germany. A huge disaster.
It was not his decision to make; he accepted the name recommended to him. The decision was already made in the corridors of the Palace where the real power resides; Westminster, not Buckingham.

Last edited:
Edward aside, what would the possible reactions of the ruling British political class be to a hypothetical intelligent, somewhat popular monarch that tries to get his way and would not abdicate under any circumstances in, say, the 20' and 30'. Said monarch would also be willing to resort to manipulation and all sorts of political maneuvering.

(inspired in my question by OTL king Carol I of Romania)
Okay, let's take a hypthetical intelligent, devious, stubborn, and otherwise popular monarch who simply won't stop speaking in support of Hitler, refuses to abdicate, and refuses to stop giving interviews or move to the country unless forced. I'd guess the Prime Minister would have a quiet word with the military, who would quietly shuffle him off to the country by force. The papers would simply say that he was on vacation or something.