What if Britain had allied with France over Germany, how would WW1 have turned out?

libbrit

Banned
We all know that Britain went to war with Austria and Germany against Russia France and Italy in WW1 (1914-1917) as a result of its alliance following the Vienna conference in 1903, but what would have been different if Britain had fought AGAINST Germany in WW1?

OOC: You forgot to add DBWI before the thread title.

IC: And why would the UK do that? After all the stuff that happened around the Fashoda Incident, Britain was only ever going to be in the CP-s or a CP-friendly neutral.

However, IF the UK were to fight against the CP-s (without any other alliance re-shuffling), I suspect it might be enough to defeat the Central Powers. That would mean the German Empire would join Austria-Hungary and the Ottomans on the list of Central Power empires that died because of the Great War.

The Union Jack might still fly over London.

Not necessarily, you might even have had the rise of the Federated Workers Union two decades earlier. The conflict against Germany would certainly resemble the eventual war against America, two equally matched powers fighting each other into stalemate. The inevitable Hobsonian conflict of imperialists would have taken a different form but the outcome would remain the same.

Not necessarily, you might even have had the rise of the Federated Workers Union two decades earlier. The conflict against Germany would certainly resemble the eventual war against America, two equally matched powers fighting each other into stalemate. The inevitable Hobsonian conflict of imperialists would have taken a different form but the outcome would remain the same.
I meant more that their might still be a London* might but point taken.

*and no that tiny 1970s built Washington DC knock on the banks of the Thames doesn’t count as London. I’m talking about a city of eight million people.

Last edited:
Well, ostensibly France likely wouldn't have gone away from its Republican-form of government like it did following its defeat in OTL. However, I guess the reinstation of the House of Orleans has been rather positive for France. Seeing as the Orleanists have overseen France's ascension to a one of the premier economic powerhouses, I think France's victory might have ruined all of this. Hell, they probably still wouldn't be holding on to Algeria, Tunisia and Morocco since their defeat in the Great War caused them to vigorously settle and Francophy Northern Africa.

What about The Great Collapse of 1925? Would that still happen?

It was the worst economoc collapse of all time and led directly to the formation of most of the Syndicalist states we see rize up in the thirties.

Would it also butterfly away the Second World War?

Why France (Only monarchy to side with the Synds), China Hungary, Italy, the US and Spain thought they could beat Japan, Germany, The Brits and Russia I will never know.

Also why in the hell did France ever try Operation Sea Turtle?

All it accomplished was the destruction of London in the short term and the partition of France in the long one.

Kind of sad only The Scandinavian Union remaina from the Syndicalist days...

London Blitz of 1941 - French bombers attacked the city the day before they launced operation "Lion de Mer"... - the resulting firestorm devastated the city - it never got resettled...

EricM

Banned
London Blitz of 1941 - French bombers attacked the city the day before they launced operation "Lion de Mer"... - the resulting firestorm devastated the city - it never got resettled...

You would have thought they would have known better than to fuck with the American-Franco alliance. The two republics stick together through thick and thin.

Though an interesting divergence would be is if The United States would still have annexed Canada had Britain sided with France instead of Germany.

OOC: So is France a WW2 victor and premier economic powerhouse with a constitutional monarchy or a partitioned republic? Regarding London I wasn’t sure whether having a mushroom cloud over the capital was a little too much.