What if Ataturk lived and ruled longer

What if he lived until the 1970s and retired no earlier than the late 1960s. I expect turkey to be more liberal since he was so secular.

It would could let to more stable democracy in Turkey, preventing the military dictatorship of 1970s to 1980s.
or to Military intervention in 1960 to remove him from power, because he became authoritarian ruler refusing to step down.

You would need Atatürk being lesser drunker in order him living longer.

But if Atatürk never become alcoholist and lives to early 1960's Turkey might be more stable and perhaps bit more liberal. Islamism might be almost non-existence. I don't know then how things would go during early Cold War.

kholieken

Banned
He is born in 1881. He likely led dictatorship in Turkey. Newly born nation is difficult place for democracy and liberalism. Sukarno, Ngkrumah, Tito become dictators. If he lived to 60s, he likely horrified by changes and become conservative in his eighties.

It would could let to more stable democracy in Turkey, preventing the military dictatorship of 1970s to 1980s.
or to Military intervention in 1960 to remove him from power, because he became authoritarian ruler refusing to step down.
Do you think Turkey would still have the highest GINI coefficient in europe in this ATL?

You would need Atatürk being lesser drunker in order him living longer.

But if Atatürk never become alcoholist and lives to early 1960's Turkey might be more stable and perhaps bit more liberal. Islamism might be almost non-existence. I don't know then how things would go during early Cold War.
Do you think Turkey would still have the highest GINI coefficient in europe in this ATL?

He is born in 1881. He likely led dictatorship in Turkey. Newly born nation is difficult place for democracy and liberalism. Sukarno, Ngkrumah, Tito become dictators. If he lived to 60s, he likely horrified by changes and become conservative in his eighties.

More secular, maybe. But more liberal is more questionable as he was pretty dictatorial during his life, although he used that power to try to modernized and westernized the country.

prani

Banned
Do not know what impact his living longer on the social and political landscape of Turkey but I do not think he would be good for the Turkish economy, he was pretty Autarkic which makes zero sense given how poor turkey is minerally and from what i know about him, economics was not his strong suit so maybe a poor Turkey? i may be wrong but given the way he managed the economy when he was in power, I do not have much hope

More secular, maybe. But more liberal is more questionable as he was pretty dictatorial during his life, although he used that power to try to modernized and westernized the country.
Idk if it'd be more secular. Ataturk and his successors did everything they could but the recent wave of Islamization is a genuine reaction of the average non-urban Turk's religiosity that would still exist as a potent political force

Idk if it'd be more secular. Ataturk and his successors did everything they could but the recent wave of Islamization is a genuine reaction of the average non-urban Turk's religiosity that would still exist as a potent political force

Fair point. Islamization wave in our time is so strong, the only thing that seems succeed to secularize society (to a degree) within the Islamic world is the 70 years of massive anti religious oppression in the former Soviet central Asia.