What if America becomes majority irreligious, and Halloween eclipses Christmas?

This would be a huge change in, let's be honest, the American empire. We're all familiar with Tim Burton and sexy vampires so what if supernatural terror outshone the Christian holidays?

I've laid down the prompt, but I'm leaving this to you. Play nice!

I don't see this happening since Christmas is the biggest gift giving holiday and the biggest globally to the point where places that don't even have a Christian population still celebrate it.

Last edited:
I don't see this happening since Christmas is the biggest gift giving holiday and the biggest globally to the point where places that don't even have a Christian population still celebrate it.
While it’s true that Christmas holidays are profit-driven in many ways … so is Halloween. Candy manufacturers successfully lobbied U.S. politicians to change the date of Daylight Savings Time just to maximize their monetary gains on Oct. 31.

Granted, globally Christmas is way bigger than Halloween. But I wouldn’t say a scenario where the 2 holidays switched their ranking in the capitalist order is ASB.
Majority irreligious could happen but uh... Chrismas is a Big Deal in even Japan so that part of the OP's request isn't doable
Christmas being a “big deal” in Japan is a post-1945 occurrence driven by American influence. The OP stipulates that change occurs in American culture and radiates outward.

The missing factor is Santa Claus. Christmas has already morphed into a non religious holiday with a non religious supernatural patron and replaced the Christ is born celebration with 'making a list checking it twice'.

Its not impossible but Halloween would need to develop its own universal patron and have the trick or treat develops into something with more moralizing lore attached.

Im not sure why halloween would eclipse Christmas just because of irreligiosity. Most of Europe is massively irreligious compared to the US, and Halloween is irrelevant there, whereas Christmas definitely is not.

They will combine them all: Santa O'Lantern will visit your house on Christoween, hear confession, then leave gifts of candy if you were good or rotten eggs and toilet paper if you were sinful.

So many historical determinists in this thread. Christmas, American Christmas, is not some eternal god ordained holiday that claims permanent and total hegemony over the globe or even just in America. Sure, the connection OP makes between irreligiosity and less celebration of Christmas is an erroneous one, but can none of you even begin to fathom how Halloween might become a bigger holiday than Christmas? As Halloween is, I don't see how it can become bigger than Christmas. It doesn't need to become some sort of Christmas-esque holiday to usurp it like a few posters have suggested, but it needs to have broader appeal and deeper cultural connotations that OTL Halloween does. Halloween today is mostly, although not exclusively, for children, and it needs to be just as appealing for adults as well to begin to challenge Christmas. Further, Christmas, while significantly secularized today, has a strong connection to Christianity. Halloween has a general connection to horror, the dead, and whatnot, but in terms of culture, that stuff is small potatoes compared to the 800 pound gorilla that is Christianity. You'd need to either increase the number of things Halloween connects to culturally to try to even that out or introduce changes to the culture that gives the stuff Halloween is associated with more significance.

marathag

Banned
This would be a huge change in, let's be honest, the American empire. We're all familiar with Tim Burton and sexy vampires so what if supernatural terror outshone the Christian holidays?

Santa is very far removed from Jesus, as the Religious Right point out in vain 'the reason for the season'
The Winter Festival, of whatever name, would win, as gift giving(and receiving! )beats out eating a big meal with Family (Thanksgiving) and Candy collecting while doing Cosplay.

Halloween has a general connection to horror, the dead, and whatnot, but in terms of culture, that stuff is small potatoes compared to the 800 pound gorilla that is Christianity. You'd need to either increase the number of things Halloween connects to culturally to try to even that out or introduce changes to the culture that gives the stuff Halloween is associated with more significance.
Well said.

As you stated, Christmas is not vulnerable for replacement with out "up arming" Halloween in very significant ways.

But.... Easter verse Earth Day could be a different story with a rapidly secularizing US. Not only does Easter not have the big secular and non Christian following (I know nominal Buddhists and Muslims who culturally celebrate Christmas), but Earth Day has your stated need to go deeper in regards to developing more cultural significance.

I dare say that I have seen some material put out by Earth Day groups and sponsoring cities in my area that had "alternative Easter" vibes to them and also had quasi spiritual tones.

The possible vulnerability of Easter is to me, disturbing and ironic given that Easter is Christianity's holiest day that got pushed aside by Christmas and associated gift giving. Then again, perhaps this prevented Easter from becoming as heavily secularized.

A Christian holiday replaces a Christian holiday. The shocker!

I dont fully understand your post. What does PSA mean for starters?
There was a famous PSA (Public Service Ad) on Earth Day in 1971 showing an American Indian riding, canoeing and walking through various polluted landscapes; and shedding a single dramatic tear when a car drives by and throws trash out the window. The voiceover: "People started pollution. People can stop it."

[ and of course the actor turned out to not be a real American Indian because this was the 1970s ]

Last edited:

kholieken

Banned
Halloween today is mostly, although not exclusively, for children, and it needs to be just as appealing for adults as well to begin to challenge Christmas.
Trick and treating has been declined in America for decades, Halloween increasingly become sexy costume party for adults.