What happens if Venice did not surrender to Napoleon?

Venice's government failed to maintain itself in the face of an aggressive and revolutionary France, and yet I do not think that armed resistance would have been entirely futile. The mainland was lost, as had happened during the war of Cambrai, but I suspect that had the city not admitted French troops that it may have avoided being occupied and may instead have become a client republic like the Swiss. In 1848, after all, Venice withstood a lengthy siege by the Austrians; if the French were not directly admitted into the Lagoon, then IMO Napoleon might instead prefer a client state to delaying his continued offensives, and the Municipal government might survive as a third republic or part of the Cispadane Republic. Would this be plausible or was Campo Formio locked in by this point?

I suspect that Campo Formio was locked in. As much as Napoleon might've considered retaining Venice as a repiblic, it was as ancien regime as pre=Revolutionary France. He had made it his mission to sweep away the old regimes and create or install new ones based on the principles of the French Revolution. Venice was doomed from the beginning, even if they had declared themselves a Free City.

Probably much wouldn't change. Napoleon would still eventually conquer Venice altough it would take bit longer. Perhaps Venice gets its independence back after Napoleonic Wars instead being annexed by A-H. But even then it probably would had eventually incorporated to Italy.

Probably much wouldn't change. Napoleon would still eventually conquer Venice altough it would take bit longer. Perhaps Venice gets its independence back after Napoleonic Wars instead being annexed by A-H. But even then it probably would had eventually incorporated to Italy.
This would have major repercussions in the Adriatic though