What got YOU into Alternate History?

Thande

Donor
I think I actually first read about the concept in one of the Science of Discworld books which mentioned specifically Peter K Dick's The Man in the High Castle. I read that, but found it to be more of a straight science fiction piece. Couple of years later (2003) I picked up Worldwar out of curiosity and ended up reading a lot more Turtledove while starting to write my own speculative timelines - at first, of course, very ASBy.

Then I found this site in 2005 and, well...

Many things.... games (Europa Universalis and HoI Series, Medieval Total War, FreeSpace, X series), books (too long to list :) ), and generaly i was always a cartophile, my mum said that when i was little, i could "read" maps and atlases for hours :D .

And i was always ah addicted... strangely to see, that i always knew about divergence points, timelines, universes etc., i just didnt know that thats how we name these things :p [still i didnt post any.. i think i start it now]

Interesting to point out that the oldest storylinei made and i still remember is totally like the 1984 world, even though i didnt know about it.

Japhy

Banned
A friend handed me a copy of Fatherland, the next week I was looking for anything else of the sort, found Guns of the South and was hooked from that moment on. It wasn't long before I googled the phrase "Alternate History"... and then went to othertimelines.com for a good few years before I found myself joining here.

Turtledove's WorldWar series was my first real encounter with alternate history. I mostly enjoyed it, then I found S.M. Stirling's Drakaverse and, well, things bloomed from there.

RealityBYTES

I came here via Wikipedia's alternate history article, went to our wiki, and read "Unholy Roman Empire" and "Dark Ages" (it wasn't until later that I realized they were both Midgard's). I don't remember how I got to Wikipedia's article--it was probably from "Time Travel".

It wasn't until later that I found "The Years of Rice and Salt" at the library, recognized the name from discussions here, and took it off the shelf. I think that was the first AH book I read (unless you count Chrestomanci).

Well I've always been a history geek since I was 8. My parents were rifling through the attic once and discovered a pretty haggard copy of a thick 'History of the Modern World' type book and I loved it. In fact I owe my ridiculously wide if not always deep historical knowledge to that book (I think its back i my parents attic now, might have to hunt it down), as I was thrown in the deep end, I'd read a chapter on Napoleon and things like 'Holy Roman Empire' would crop up, so I'd read the first chapters on Renaissance Europe to get an idea of what that meant, and because it was a book designed for Uni students and adults I'd hunt down stuff on the internet and in libraries to find out what certain words, 'isms' etc. meant and this went on and on, in my constant quest to know all history, because its all interconnected.

Anyway... I remember playing strategy and FPS set in WWII and what not and at the time I was really interested in the victorian period and thought games set in the 19th century would be loads of fun (even designed such a game in DT actually). Literally typing in "Victorian Strategy Game" into google several times and finally Victoria: Empire Under the Sun appeared. When I got it, its was so in-depth and confusing I didn't really like it, so I went on the Paradox Games forums to find out tips and info on it, and discovered the AAR sub-forum and just loved it.

As I said, the sheer scope of history is what intrigues me more than anything and the idea of creating entire worlds with a historical link to our own fascinated me, and still does. Have to say I have't read many AH novels but its not so much the stories themselves as the initial what-if thats so juicy, an oak table leg between hitler and oblivion, an inch of air between deGaulle and a violent death etc. it does boil down to 'for want of a nail', and thats what is so great the most minute detail will ultimately have universal implications.

Firstly, my insataiable desire for history. I can't explain why, but I less-than-three (<3 for all those less-imagintively minded people) in all of it's forms.

It was perhaps a year ago, when my friend was talking to someone else, and he menitoned an Alternate History RP. (Oh, I think he's called Gandavien on this Forum) I joined up as Poland, and went along well, then was "upgraded" of sorts, to France. It was soon after that when I came upon AH.com and here I am. :D

Coming across 'The Victorious Opposition' in a bookshop one rainy day when I should've been revising for my GCSEs. I didn't buy it, obviously - I went home and got 'American Front' out of my local library.

Always liked sci-fi and got pointed to 1632 by my librarian. Liked it, and read Eric Flints other works, mainly his Trail of Glory series, and the combination of that and 1632 got me into alternate history

I was in a bookstore and saw a book that had John F. Kennedy sitting at a PC and after reading the back I realized that this was a part of a series a friend in middle school had told me about years before. That's how I got into the Worldwar series, and I started reading a lot more of Turtledove's works and branched out from there.

Thande

Donor
I notice a lot of us seem to have been suckered in by Turtledove's cover art. Even though until recently the British versions tended to be much crapper than the American versions.

I notice a lot of us seem to have been suckered in by Turtledove's cover art. Even though until recently the British versions tended to be much crapper than the American versions.
Americans and Ravens have something in common some of them are attracted to pretty things.

I liked history, always did. But I would have to say what got me interested in Alternate History was the board game Axis & Allies. The concept of the Axis defying history in the game by winning was interesting to me. Then I looked around the internet and youtube reading scenarios and watching ethe videos of Katvolver. The first Alternate History that I ever read was How Few Remain by Turtledove, and I've been reading timeline 191 since. I'm in the middle of Walk In Hell.

I was looking up something on wikipedia about von Schlieffen, and it mentioned if appearance in TL-191, and I ended up reading the wiki pages on Turtledove's books. Having finished that I did a google image search to see if I could find a map detailing the story and I'll give you one guess where the Map was posted... the Map Thread and I've been here ever since (well I looked around a bit for a few weeks before I actually joined).