What do you think happens after the Axis of Time trilogy?

World war III

I second this. Stalin (or whoever's in charge of the USSR after his 'demise' - I suspect its probably Beria) has already realized that its either 'go west now before MAD or get crushed by Western economics and technology later'.

I second this. Stalin (or whoever's in charge of the USSR after his 'demise' - I suspect its probably Beria) has already realized that its either 'go west now before MAD or get crushed by Western economics and technology later'.

i think MAD (although on a smaller scale) is already in effect, i mean the Allies can Nuke Moscow.

i think MAD (although on a smaller scale) is already in effect, i mean the Allies can Nuke Moscow.

But can the Soviets nuke back Washington, or New York, or Los Angeles? MAD - Mutually Assured Destruction - means that no one has nuclear superiority over the other. You nuke him, he nukes you, no one is left standing.

But can the Soviets nuke back Washington, or New York, or Los Angeles? MAD - Mutually Assured Destruction - means that no one has nuclear superiority over the other. You nuke him, he nukes you, no one is left standing.

I would guess that in the years following the end of World War II the nuclear stockpiles of both sides would still remain relatively small (i.e. hundreds of warheads total globally instead of thousands). Like in OTL this number would probably drastically increase in the 1950's and 60's until military conflict was suicide.

I would guess the Soviets establish a Warsaw Pact-like entity out of their European client states and covertly expand their holdings in Asia and influence in Latin America and Africa. The Allies will oppose this. Basically a Cold War analogous to our own unless it goes Hot. Which it probably will, cause what moves the plot along better than conflict? :p

I would guess that the Soviets ultimately lose, after millions of deaths on both sides.

I would guess that in the years following the end of World War II the nuclear stockpiles of both sides would still remain relatively small (i.e. hundreds of warheads total globally instead of thousands). Like in OTL this number would probably drastically increase in the 1950's and 60's until military conflict was suicide.

I would guess the Soviets establish a Warsaw Pact-like entity out of their European client states and covertly expand their holdings in Asia and influence in Latin America and Africa. The Allies will oppose this. Basically a Cold War analogous to our own unless it goes Hot. Which it probably will, cause what moves the plot along better than conflict? :p

That's not factoring in the great Uptime knowledge and industry that the United States has. It'll be more likely that the Soviet Union would be wracked with internal rebellion and growing technological disparity, forcing its leaders to realize that 'its now or never' to go west ie. start WWIII.

More likely than it trying to form a better, cohesive WarPac entity like in OTL, but I disgress that we'll have to wait for Cold War 2.1 to find out.:p

i think they can. what i meant was that the USSR and USA have in 1945 small nuclear arsenals, but they can both Nuke each other, and destroy most big cities, or destroy most or all of each others militaries.

Well USSR controls all of Eastern Europe and parts of Western Europe at the end of Final Impact. There source of uptime tech is the captured Vangard out in Siberia. Yamamoto took out their nuclear research facility so it will be a little bit before they can get production going.

In this time the US can continue to expand its stockpile of bombs and B-52s. I'm sure with the 21C tech they'll have ballistic missiles soon. Kolhammer will continue to press for containment of the Soviet Union (more so if he tries to run for office). US tech will outstretch Soviet especially if the Zone sticks around. By time Stalin decides to go west he might be facing US forces with 80s level tech.

I think the Communist downfall will actually come from Ivanonv and his merry men running around Russia. At the very least he will keep large portions of the Red Army tied down controling the republics.

I'm more curious what China will do. They have to have found out some things about the future, what will Mao do or General Ismo?

I had heard a rumor there was going to be another series set in the 1980's with, among other things, Richard Branson as a fighter pilot! :eek: Dunno if anything will come of it.

His next novel is supposed to come out in 2009. I believe its called Without Warning and I believe the general premise is that the USA disapears.

I'll give it five?

John Birmingham writes another book. Unless he has run out of ideas and he didn't in his series unlike some AH sagas then I am looking forward to it

I hope he does more to explore the antagonisms between the uptimers and the WW2 allies. It seemed to me there was some definite foreshadowing of real problems to come over how the uptimers could and would govern themselves. Arguably, traditionalist elements in the US and UK could find more in common with the USSR and seek to eliminate the uptimers as an independent player rather than change their own society to accomodate these aggressive racial and sexual egalitarians from the future.

Um, Sam Carsten gets another damm sunburn and there's some stupid akward sex scene?

Oh wait, wrong crappy AH writer

The only way to avoid a W.W.III with nukes is to bomb russia in 1946. They had a few bombs but had no way to deliver them. The US could fly out of Europe or Iran; russia would have to build a B-36 equivelant to strike us. Given the Air transport density in 1946, picking up something coming in from the USSR would be relatively easy. It would be a hard decision but waiting was the sure way to total war.
I agree, I see trouble between the uptimers and the old fogies. The first time a southern baptist preacher saw an uptimer black girl wearing a mini, well you get the idea. It would take at least 2 generations. Remember, there is no PC at this time.

The only way to avoid a W.W.III with nukes is to bomb russia in 1946. They had a few bombs but had no way to deliver them. The US could fly out of Europe or Iran; russia would have to build a B-36 equivelant to strike us. Given the Air transport density in 1946, picking up something coming in from the USSR would be relatively easy. It would be a hard decision but waiting was the sure way to total war.

Did you even read the books? The AoT US, by the time of 1944, already had B-52s flying out of New Mexico and more than capable of reaching Berlin (and purpotedly, Moscow) with full nuclear loads.

The Russians don't want B-36s. They want Tu-16s, and better.