What company could replace Lockheed as America’s secret aircraft manufacturer?

Given a POD in the 1930’s, are there any other US aircraft manufacturers that could fill Lockheed’s role in the development of things like America’s first jet fighter, the secret spy planes of the Cold War, or pioneering stealth aircraft?

Northrop seems like an obvious answer, but the flying wing model isn’t going anywhere until fly-by-wire is invented. Do any other companies have the technical expertise? Does any here know of any competitors to Lockheed’s P-80, U-2, SR-71, or F-117 that could have shown more promise?

marathag

Banned
Convair, soon to be General Dynamics, had an entry against the SR-71 for OXCART
FISH
ConvairFish195859.jpg

If the PoD is early enough perhaps Rockwell, Martin Marietta, and Douglas are also viable candidates? Maybe Hughes as well?

I didn’t think of Hughes. Maybe the nightmare of the Hercules and the spectacle in front of Congress doesn’t happen.

Well, Bell was on the ground floor with their Aircomet so if they could make their plane perform better they have a candidate. Also, McDonnell was an early jet pioneer with the 1st naval jet fighter.
I would think that North American Aircraft and Convair would be candidates for the spy plane, both had experience with high performance aircraft.
If there is no Skunk Works, then it it kind of a toss-up for a manufacturer; I'd consider General Dynamics, McDonnell Douglas, and maybe Grumman for the stealthy aircraft.

marathag

Banned
Or he gets access to bigger/better engines, perhaps the other Hughes aircraft fare better too?
No, his mental issues, esp. the ones for perfection would rule out any real success, and that's before hi crash in the XF-11 where his issues got turned up to 11

If we could be allowed to look beyond US, we could point at a few UK based one's:

De Havilland
Short
Hawker

just a thought