What are some plausible alternative names for the 13 colonies

What else could have the British named the original 13 colonies? By this I mean indvidual colonies like Virginia and New Hampshire

Last edited:
I've heard "Georgine" was an alternate name for Georgia (in an 8th grade Georgia History textbook whose name I cannot recall), but that should be taken with several grains of salt.

- Puritanica for Massachusetts.
- Roanoke for North Carolina.
- New York could be called Charleston after King Charles II
- Connecticut could be called Winthrop since the Winthrop family and other puritans were the first English to settle the area.
- Any of the "New States" could be named after a different region in England.

Could a different name reflect a different historical outcome?

For instance, using GuildedAgeNostalgia's idea, would a Connecticut named, "Winthrop", inspire people to want to be free of British rule? Or maybe less/more people would go there because of the name?

Could a different name reflect a different historical outcome?

For instance, using GuildedAgeNostalgia's idea, would a Connecticut named, "Winthrop", inspire people to want to be free of British rule? Or maybe less/more people would go there because of the name?

Are we talking about nominative determinism again?

In which case, I propose 'Fidelisia.'

Northstar

Pennsylvania could have been anything from Cabotia, to Susquehannoce to Charlesland. Maybe it could even retain it’s Swedish name and be called New Sverrick by the English who take it.

Pennsylvania could have been anything from Cabotia, to Susquehannoce to Charlesland. Maybe it could even retain it’s Swedish name and be called New Sverrick by the English who take it.

It could have also been Sylvania if the British had given into what William Penn had wanted or maybe Pennsland if he had been more vain.

For Rhode Island, there's Narragansett Country for the colony as a whole (reduced to State of Narragansett upon independence), or United Plantations of Aquidneck Island, Providence, and the Narragansett Country (which could be reduced either to State of Aquidneck or State of Providence upon independence).

New Britain? Atlantis/ Atlantia? New Albion? United Colonies of America? New England (For the whole thing)? Greater Virginia?

When Walter Raleigh ist about to name the colony, which he IOTL named Virginia in 1584, it looks like Queen Elizabeth is about to marry for real and he therefore decides to play it safe and names it Elisabethia instead.

Last edited:
Could Connecticut also be named something along the lines of Mohica, Moica or Mowica? They did take the land off of them after all and it’s helluva lot easier to spell