What are some minor geographical incidences in one part of the world that caused catastrophic consequences in another part?

I read today about how the breaking up of glaciers and the subsequent ride of this water in Greenland towards the Atlantic caused certain currents to be diverted more strongly to Turkey which caused the rivers in Northern Iraq dry up and destroyed the Akkadian empire.
What are some other minor geographical incidences in one part of the world that caused catastrophic consequences in another part of the world or heck even in the same part of the world?

What's your source please? I'm curious how water circulation in the Atlantic can affect Turkey when there's 2000+ miles of Mediterranean sea inbetween them, I didn't think there was that much flow from the Atlantic into the Med.

Every single time a random volcanic eruption somewhere in the tropics caused endless amounts of warfare, regime change, and mass death.

Not exactly catastrophic, but 2 volcanic eruptions produced some pretty cool stuff:

GENEVA, 1816. Locked inside by the volcanic winter caused by the eruption of Tambora a year prior, Mary Shelley and her peers decide to have a contest to see who can write a scary story. The result, Frankenstein (or the Modern Prometheus), wins the contest, and is still regarded today as one of the first science-fiction stories.

NORWAY; 1884. Painter Edvard Munch takes a stroll at sunset, and is particularly captivated by the blood-red skies caused by the eruption of Krakatoa a year prior. Sensing an "infinite scream" passing through nature, Munch incorporates this into his newest artwork, The Scream, now his most famous painting.

I'm not sure if you'd count it as a "geographical incidence", but the exhaustion of the silver mines at Benjahir in Afghanistan in the tenth century led to a silver shortage in the Muslim world, in turn causing Viking adventurers who'd been trading in the Arab world to look elsewhere for riches, and hence contributing to renwed Viking attacks on England under Sweyn Forkbeard.

What's your source please? I'm curious how water circulation in the Atlantic can affect Turkey when there's 2000+ miles of Mediterranean sea inbetween them, I didn't think there was that much flow from the Atlantic into the Med.
OTL Back about 6,000 years before Jesus Christ was born, God warned Noah about an impending flood.
Just as Noah was completing his ark (huge boat), Lake Aggassis released a few million gallons of glacier melt-water. Lake Aggassis released so much melt-water that sea levels rose 300 feet (100 meters) world wide, flooding the - previously almost dry - Black Sea. This flooding forced early plowmen out of the Black Sea Basin. Some fled westwards up the Danube River. Some Fled northwards up the Volga and Dnieper Rivers. Some fled southwards into the Anatolian Penninsula, spilling over into the Tigras, Euphrades and Jordan River Valleys..

The volcanic explosion of Thera/Santorini somewhere around 1600BCE caused the nearly immediate collapse of the Minoan culture, with local ripples around the Aegean impacting Greek/Persian history, but subsequent crop failures caused by 'volcanic winter' is thought by some to affect further afield, such as the end of Xia dynasty of China and the rise of the Shang Dynasty.

Incidentally, regarding the prior post, the Thera explosion and resulting widespread Mediterranean tsunami is believed by some to be the inspiration for the 'Noah flood'.

Last edited:

prani

Banned
Have Tibet warm up or cool down by 2 or 3 degree on either side, you'll have monsoon reach the Iranian plateau or barely strong enough to cover India and Bangladesh. A strong monsoon would turn the semi arid Iranian plateau into a lush grassland and turn south Asia into a tropical monsoon forest the opposite would make Iran into a barren wasteland while south Asia turns to a Savannah.

prani

Banned
Don't geographic/climactic WIs belong in ASB?
I think he's asking examples of other similar events in our timeline, well at least that's what i understood else my answer would make no sense what so ever, he's not asking for a POD