What are some exotic or non traditional pets that could have become commonplace?

Koalas? Could have koalas mills breeding them popping up everywhere

Red pandas

Coyotes and wolves 🐺

Intresting ideas here. But some have problems.

Hippos are far too large and violent. They are one of most lethal animals in Africa. Chimps are too extremely violent. Koalas are really difficult animals. They eat only leaves of eucalyptus. And making that even harder these are just complete morons with they food. If you put plate with leaves of eucalyptus they don't realise that it is food. They just realise food when it is attached on trees.

But some intresting idesa what has not mebntioned. Foxes might are intresting. Altough not sure what niche they could fill what dogs already don't beside just bit different pet. But in other hand they are probably better on rodent control than dogs but I don't know are they any better than cats. Another could be squirrel. Bit similar than rat but perhaps lives bit longer. And there could be hedgehogs too.

Intresting ideas here. But some have problems.

Hippos are far too large and violent. They are one of most lethal animals in Africa. Chimps are too extremely violent. Koalas are really difficult animals. They eat only leaves of eucalyptus. And making that even harder these are just complete morons with they food. If you put plate with leaves of eucalyptus they don't realise that it is food. They just realise food when it is attached on trees.

But some intresting idesa what has not mebntioned. Foxes might are intresting. Altough not sure what niche they could fill what dogs already don't beside just bit different pet. But in other hand they are probably better on rodent control than dogs but I don't know are they any better than cats. Another could be squirrel. Bit similar than rat but perhaps lives bit longer. And there could be hedgehogs too.
Koalas although very cute also have lots of very sharp claws.

Cheetahs?
A safer choice than the lion or tiger and can fit the role of hunting companion.
I know that some of the Mughal princes were fond of Cheetah-racing-- so much so that their compulsive hoarding of cheetahs for this very purpose was a major factor which led to the extinction of the cheetah in India, because they rarely bothered to breed the things.

Cheetahs make far more plausible pets than the other big cats and have been frequently tamed but IRC unfortunately they are almost impossible to breed domestically.

Pretty raccoons were very popular in Germany for a hot second, and are still not uncommon in many countries.

Maybe the Russian fox experiment could take off.

I think that hyenas, if I'm not mistaken, are somewhat domesticated by some tribes in Africa. I think the males are more docile than the females.

Owls/crows/eagles, birds intelligent enough to be trained (and domesticated)

Otters, at least a small and less violent species, I remember that there are YouTube channels ("Ui" and "Aty", these are the names) that has them as pets. They are the most adorable thing, but they need a pool of water so they can swim, to avoid stress.

Insects / Arachnids. The terrestrial and more dangerous version of having a fish.

Deer or Alpacas, in forested or mountainous regions, usually in rural towns. Some breeds of deer are very docile, especially if they are fed, while Alpacas don't usually do much besides spit and are somewhat tame.

Iguanas or something, they are surprisingly intelligent and seem to care for their owners, at least some species. Although I think males are more aggressive and territorial so I would say females as pets.

Last edited:
Koalas although very cute also have lots of very sharp claws.

And an extremely specialized diet.

Another could be squirrel. Bit similar than rat but perhaps lives bit longer. And there could be hedgehogs too.

I know/have known people with both. Hedgehogs are pretty quiet, and the squirrels are obnoxiously inquisitive.

Chickens are widely available and can be trained and housebroken. Not hard to imagine them taking off.

Main problem with any bird as a pet is that they have no control of their waste elimination. I know someone with a pet duck (Housebroken) and it has to wear a duck diaper in the house. It's not a decisive factor, but it is one that has to be considered.

I've recently seen a guy walking a ferret on a leash, felt a bit surreal.

In any case, we value dogs and cats because they're very social animals, snakes, toads and reptiles and such have a very nieche appeal. So a new pet that is to be popular with the masses should also be social and like being cuddled and poked and brushed etc. Macaques maybe, or Rats if they ever get rid of the bad reputation.

To domesticate an exotic species requires a considerable investment of time and food bribery. In more basic past societies that is going to come with a cost to the tribe/village. What's the payback? In the intermediate stage, before we become a species of leisure, what's the domesticated animal's  job?

Driftless

Donor
Pine Martens?? A small member of the Mustelid Family - Their distribution in the wild is wide ranging, if not very plentiful.

In some ways similar to domesticated ferrets, for diet and needing to deal with the musk glads. An added bonus, they're skilled tree climbers, so they may drive their keepers nuts if they get outdoors and decide to camp out in the trees. They come down quite ably, unlike some cats, so patience would be needed

The factors which are need for something to be a very popular pet among all classes:
Not being dangerous, meaning animals like lions, hippos, bears and chimps are excluded.
Needing an affordable amount of food, meaning friendly animals like cows, horses and sheep are excluded
Not needing large amounts of space, meaning that like the animals above are excluded but also large fish that need ponds like catfish.
Not needing difficult to aquire food, meaning a lot of snakes who only eat rodents are excluded aswell as sloths who only eat one leaf.
Not needing unaffordable equipment like salt water fish need (as opposed to goldfish.)
Not being too unruly like squirrels or monkeys.
Not being too smelly like foxes (who's urine is extremely smelly and who intentionally pee where they live) are skunks (though skunks can have their glands removed.)

Considering this a few animals could have gained more popularity these being;
Rats and mice would could be just as popular as hamsters and are actually more friendly.
Insects that have reasonable diets could be more popular filling a similar niche to fish being placed in tanks.
Small tortoises could be popular in suitable environments (they deal badly with cold due to being cold blooded.)
Small Fish like tetras and guppies.
Chickens and ducks could work but chickens are easier to keep.
Pigeons are tame naturally and not the most expensive, doves are the same species and are similar but have a better reputation.
Ferrets could also be more popular and are similar to cats but more agressive.

For upper classes the situation is different, since they have more resources they can have bigger pets, like how horses are popular with the British upper class. The animals that could have been popular with them are:
Cheetahs, which are already quite popular in the middle east could have been a popular prestige animal, maybe if cheetah racing got popular with European elites they could be spread worldwide. They are also not as dangerous as people assume and have never killed a person, they are a lot smaller than other big cats.
Large and rare fish could become popular as a status symbol, maybe inspired by the koi keeping in east Asia but it could expanded to include any expensive fish or even crusatceans and cephlapods. Jelly fish are also very pretty and could easily be used decoratively but they are hard to maintain.
Capybaras are friendly but need large amounts of water and so could be popular although the barrier to entry is lower than others in this list.
Exotic birds like peacocks could be big but they are agressive.
Swans and geese could fit into this too, they are actually easier to tame than a lot of bigger birds since they have a history of being close to humans but they are already reletively popular.
Falconry and hawking used to be popular in Europe and could have stayed popular leading to birds or prey being popular pets.

Maybe doves/pigeons. Pigeon breeding was big in the 19th century. Pigeons bred for beauty might make better avian pets than parrots. I don't know about parakeets or cockatoos, but macaws have a lot of behavioral issues