What alternate history ideas you wish they were used more often?

Viking Dakar
Dutch Louisiana
A Maya state(s) that actually survives up to modern times
Japanese going full DEUS VULT
Arabic Australia
Transsylvania surviving as the most awkward 'everything goes' state smack dab in ideologically charged Europe
New Constantinople on the site of Buenos Aires
A Mongolian khanate on the Great Plains
Russia as the arsenal of freedom

Last edited:
I guess some tls where the change is small personal interactions which create slow moving changes that matter. I have two head tls.

In one, Patrick Cleburne, former pharmacist and former CSA General turned Texas cattle rancher becomes frienimies with Quannah Parker, Comanche founder of the Native American Church and advocate of peyote in the treatment of the psychic wounds, addiction, and ptsd, which Cleburne latches onto to treat civil war veterans with similar problems. A small change but big long term.

Another involves Julian meeting the girl of his dreams (head nickname nerdy Theodora) who is with him on the restore paganism thing, but is better at curbing his more eccentric enthusiasms, like running into battle without armor and generally being smoother and living longer.

The point is, it isn't about the big battles. It's about people making a connection and going in a slightly different direction.
For one thing, the Fates wouldn’t tell Zeus it was time for him to leave Olympus. :rolleyes:

There are few 19th century POD that I think would be fun to explored.
1. Tsar Alexander III living longer.
2. Franz Joseph having a second son.
3. A Joseph Foraker Presidency.
4. A Samuel Tilden Presidency.
Just curious Rochester & not seeking to put you down in any way- you’re the first person I’ve ever come across who has expressed an interest in ”Fire Engine” Joe. What makes you interested in him?

Well it's a recent interest because two TL I've been following both have him becoming president and I started researching him. He just seem to be one of those what if that could be fun and would be different to OTL. Also, a man who told Theodore Roosevelt he was wrong on something is someone to pay attention to.

Viking Dakar
Dutch Louisiana
A Maya state(s) that actually survives up to modern times
Japanese going full DEUS VULT
Arabic Australia
Transsylvania surviving as the most awkward 'everything goes' state smack dab in ideologically charged Europe
New Constantinople on the site of Buenos Aires
A Mongolian khanate on the Great Plains
Russia as the arsenal of freedom
Explain the Japanese bit

I think Christian Japan is just not used.
A successful European colonisation of South Africa/Angola/Mozambique is just never touched upon even though it’s possible.
I’d like to see a Georgia wank as a Christian polity in the Caucasus would be very interesting.
Japanese colonisation of America (mostly Cascadia)
Inca tls that continue to the 20th century (this applies to a lot of timelines that are quite popular topics. Most medieval tls suffer from this tho.)
PLA Siberian colonisation tls (uncommon at most)
Antiquity Ethiopia tls
Basically most tls that’s not Europe centric really (not surprising considering what Europe is)
France splits up tls
Sino-Soviet nuclear war tls (recently some tls have been focusing on that, but it’s still not used often)
And so much more.

Inca tls that continue to the 20th century (this applies to a lot of timelines that are quite popular topics.
I have seen a few Cortez becoming emperor of Maya tl, but I have never found one where Pizzaro is made Inca emperor

Another twist on all these WRE survives is for the WRE to survive only the Italian peninsula. Therefore uniting Italy way earlier

I have seen a few Cortez becoming emperor of Maya tl, but I have never found one where Pizzaro is made Inca emperor
Ooh I do think having empires that aren't beholden to the Spanish would spice things up a bit. I'd think having a Christian monarch means the native Americans convert to Christianity but other than that the empire should be quite native American. That's interesting...

Ooh I do think having empires that aren't beholden to the Spanish would spice things up a bit. I'd think having a Christian monarch means the native Americans convert to Christianity but other than that the empire should be quite native American. That's interesting...
Yeah basically European conquistadores on top as nobility, all the churches are just former temples that now have crosses. Except for that you will se fast how these men will be fast on adopting native American nobility culture of polygamy.

Also Inca makes more sense than the Mayans because you are protected by the Andes which gives you enough breathing space before next attack from Spain arrive (if it ever). Also a bonus is the long coastline which makes for a potential future of trade with Asia

Yeah basically European conquistadores on top as nobility, all the churches are just former temples that now have crosses. Except for that you will se fast how these men will be fast on adopting native American nobility culture of polygamy.
I think some of the new rulers will practice polygamy but they’ll revert back. How syncretised would Christianity become? I’d think some sects will be basically the traditional religion with god shoved on top while others would be much more like mainstream Christianity at that time. I’d see a lot of former gods becoming saints for example.
Also Inca makes more sense than the Mayans because you are protected by the Andes which gives you enough breathing space before next attack from Spain arrive (if it ever). Also a bonus is the long coastline which makes for a potential future of trade with Asia
Yeah, I’d think an Incan empire with some European technological and cultural transmission would make for a very interesting South America that’d survive with more Native American culture intact.

I'm still a fan of an independent Francophone Louisiana - it's been used in a couple timelines to great effect but I still want more. I think it quite realistic to keep it a coastal strip consisting of the southern half of Louisiana State and perhaps eastward to Mobile (Bay) rather than the entire Louisiana Territory/Purchase. Just have it balk enough at being sold and so America pays Napoleon a quite-reduced sum for northern Louisiana above metro NOLA, gains a favorable trade deal with Francophone Louisiana itself, and all that in return for the former two recognizing it as an independent de-facto free port otherwise.

To an extent America successfully purchases northern Texas above the TX-Colorado River and land above the 37th parallel to the Pacific at various points in the 1800s-1830s, allowing *SoCal, *New Mexico, and southern *TX to fully thrive as majority Spanish-speaking and fully Hispano-acculturated places than the (admittedly fantastic) mix of American-Hispano they are in OTL. Maybe even some *Mexican War where these places get spun off as *vassal republics than annexed territories of the American Union.

I think Christian Japan is just not used.
A successful European colonisation of South Africa/Angola/Mozambique is just never touched upon even though it’s possible.
I’d like to see a Georgia wank as a Christian polity in the Caucasus would be very interesting.
Japanese colonisation of America (mostly Cascadia)
Inca tls that continue to the 20th century (this applies to a lot of timelines that are quite popular topics. Most medieval tls suffer from this tho.)
PLA Siberian colonisation tls (uncommon at most)
Antiquity Ethiopia tls
Basically most tls that’s not Europe centric really (not surprising considering what Europe is)
France splits up tls
Sino-Soviet nuclear war tls (recently some tls have been focusing on that, but it’s still not used often)
And so much more.
Did an ancient Ethiopia story here http://www.changingthetimes.net/samples/0to9/St_Aphilas_the_Great.htm

And a limited Japanese colonization of Cascadia here in Mongol Japan https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/alternatehistoryfictory/alternate-history-discussion-f3/

Japan maintaining its ties to Ethiopia, joining the Allies instead of the Axis in WWII but like the commie bloc maintaining its own independent colonial network, but in its case based in anti-Western rhethoric.

A more Sinic influenced Western steppe.

The Nestorian and African churches spreading by themselves. Like they reached pretty far with Christian communities in Indonesia and Takrur respectively.

Ancient and Medieval Africa focused timelines.

Forest Zone Africa focused timelines.

Ancient China timelines.

Patagonian and Araguania natives.

Alternative Tech trees

Last edited: