What actors/celebrities would you save from an early death and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
James Dean he died to early with age 24

imagine him with age 30 or 40 in iconic movies of 1960s and 1970s
like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and the Godfather or the french connection ?
but he would also first Hollywood superstar that died of AIDS in 1980s

If James Dean had lived, then Paul Newman does not have as good a career as in OTL.
After Dean death, Newman did three films that had planed to cast James Dean.

I would really liked to see Barbara Loden live longer. An actress turned director who directed just one full length production, Wanda, in which she stared the protagonist. I'm deeply saddened that her fantastic debut was not followed up before the cancer took her life. I think she could've made haunting realistic movies if her directing career would've continued.

Here are a few classic era voice actors I would save from at least dying so soon...

Don Messick: He would a perfect candidate for old characters in modern times if he lived. I could even see him reprise his role as Papa Smurf in at least The Lost Village.

Mel Blanc: He would have had a few more years if not for that accident in the hospital. I can even see him with a possible role in Batman: The Animated Series.

Daws Butler: Again, another voice acting classic. I could see him continue to voice Yogi Bear and his other characters before moving on to old characters like Grandpas.

I can even see them voice at least one major role in my TL's Disney Animated Canon.

Although they were 73 and 81 respectively when they passed on I'd like to add two other voice actors to this list, Vic Perrin and Walker Edminson.

Leslie Howard - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Howard_(actor)
Howard's Second World War activities included acting and filmmaking. He was active in anti-German propaganda and rumoured to have been involved with British or Allied Intelligence, sparking conspiracy theories regarding his death in 1943 when the Luftwaffe shot down BOAC Flight 777 over the Bay of Biscay (in Cedeira, A Coruña)[2] on which he was a passenger.

Yeah, when one of your films (Pimpernel Smith) inspires someone from the noble idea to actual implementation that ultimately helped to save 100,000 lives, it’s reallt hard to not wish he’d lived.

Roberto Clemente is another great sports figure and humanitarian who died too young.

People already got Stan Rogers and Jim Croce, but how can we have this thread without a mention of John Denver? His glory days were behind him when he died, but he was still making music, and I would really have liked the opportunity to see him in concert.

No one has mentioned Pete Ham and Tom Evans of Badfinger, who both killed themselves much too young and early. Their story is one of the saddest ever in rock and roll history.

Andrew Wood: It's too bad he died of a drug overdose in 1990. I wonder how great he and Mother Love Bone would have been.

Lyman Bostock: He was one of the best hitters in the American League (playing for the Angels) when he was accidentally shot and killed in the Fall of 1978. Only 27, he had a lot more baseball left in him.

Darrent Williams: The young, promising Bronco CB had just finished his second season with the team when he was gunned down (the bullets were intended for Brandon Marshall, not Williams) on New Year's Day morning 2007.

Bruce & Brandon Lee--because they're both superior martial artists, & I'd love to see if either could (eventually) turn into decent actors. (I also would love to see either one in a variety of "Under Siege".;) )
Buddy Holly--because he did a fair number of records I like, & because I'd like to see where his career might've gone
Ritchie Valens--much the same reason as Holly, & because I'd like to see if he went surf rock or tejano, or mixed them
(The Bopper can fall under a bus, for all I care.)
Selena--just becaue
Marilyn--just because, & because I'd like to know if she could actually act
Thelma Todd
Ayrton Senna--because he was amazing to watch
Jim Clark--ditto
Stefan Bellof--because his survival could butterfly so many other people
Jimmy Stewart (Jackie's older brother)--because having Jimmy Stewart in F1 is insanely cool, & funny:openedeyewink:
Dale Earnhart Sr.--because his death was so stupid & pointless
Fireball Roberts--much the same reason as Dale Sr.
Amelia Earhart--because her death was pretty stupid
Amy Mollison--just because
Beam Piper--because I was a fan, & he did some really interesting stuff I'd like to have seen go further

Edit: I should say why, I guess...
Karen Carpenter: Great voice, gone too soon.
OMG, how did I overlook her?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :oops::oops::oops: Absolutely right. And totally preventable. (I can't hear "Yesterday Once More" without wishing she wasn't gone.)
Stevie Ray Vaughan
How did I overlook him, too?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :oops::oops::oops: Absolutely right, again. Every song I've heard him record, I've liked--& that's practically a miracle. (Though him dying might butterfly away Guitar Man in Scout.:eek:)
Edit 2:
Wally Schirra
Gus Grissom
Roger Chaffee
--because hotshot test pilots shouldn't die on the f*cking ground! They should die after they report, "Houston, we have a a problem" & the heatshield separates on re-entry--or the TLI burn just keeps going, while they report telemetry & shoot TV pictures until the f*cking air runs out, because they f*cking would.

Last edited:
John Ritter
John Denver
& At least three Kennedys that should have stayed away from airplanes: Joe jr, his sister, John jr.
Dorothy Stratton
James Dean
Ernie Kovacs
Sonny Bono
Glen Miller
Annette Funicello

One I may have mentioned before but I'm too lazy to check: Philadelphia Flyers' goaler Pelle Lindbergh. He died as a result of a one car drunk driving accident on 11 November 1985. He had already established himself as a premier NHL goaler (the Flyers got to the Cup finals in the spring of 1985 but lost to Edmonton). With Lindbergh still between the pipes, a tweak or two during the '85-'86 season and you'd likely have a parade on Broad Street in Philly in very late May / early June 1986--which would be the first of a number in the '80s and possibly early '90s.

Am surprised no one has mentioned these astronauts who died way too early before they had a chance to go into space:

Ted Freeman-considered to be one of the best pilots of Group 3, would have been on one of the latter Gemini missions

Charlie Bassett and Elliott See- the original Gemini 9 crew. Charlie Bassett would have gone to be on Apollo 8 and a lunar landing.

Gus Grissom, Ed White, Roger Chaffee- the Apollo 1 heroes. Gus probably would have been the first man on the moon according to Deke Slayton's original plan and I would have loved to see Chaffee be on a latter Apollo lunar landing.

Ed Givens-would have been an early pick for an Apollo crew

CC Williams-would have been the LEM pilot for Apollo 12

Last edited:
Page seven and no one has mentioned Bon Scott. Whoa....

I did see River Phoenix mentioned.
Ray Chapman, the only baseball player killed while playing the game!

George Pelawa: He was a three-sport star from Bemidji, Minnesota. The Calgary Flames (fresh off their first appearance in the Stanley Cup Finals) drafted the 6-foot-3, 245 pound right winger in Round 1 (16th overall):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Pelawa

On August 30th, 1986, he was killed in an auto accident. He was headed to college for a year, but he was planning on joining the Flames after the 88 Olympics (according to another site). If they had him the next few years (along with the other talent they had), maybe they win more than one Stanley Cup.

Last edited:
Wendy Wasserstein a great playwright and a great momma.
King fasail he could have avoided the ruckus in 79 at Mecca.
Robert subokwe the only anti apartheid leader who could compete with Mandela

Status
Not open for further replies.