What actors/celebrities would you save from an early death and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
James Dean he died to early with age 24

imagine him with age 30 or 40 in iconic movies of 1960s and 1970s
like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and the Godfather or the french connection ?
but he would also first Hollywood superstar that died of AIDS in 1980s

The Bertrand Fabi I mentionned is that man https://webcache.googleusercontent....+&cd=5&hl=fr&ct=clnk&gl=fr&client=firefox-b-d

The spiritual son of Gilles Villeneuve, talent, craziness and... death included (sigh) although way much younger. And on top of that, guess who was supposed to be his team mate in F3 in the year 1986 ? DAMON HILL. The very one Damon Hill, son of Graham and F1 world champion in 1996 after very hard times (including the passing of Fabi that sunk his morale and results for two years of time). Unbelievable.

The years 1985-87 really saw the passing of some talented pilots that could have given Senna and Schumacher some nightmares. Bellof and Fabi, for a start.

Joe Delaney: 1,000 yard rusher for the Chiefs who drowned in the summer of 1983 in Mississippi while trying to save some kids. Would have liked to have seen what type of career he could have had.

David Overstreet: Dolphin RB that was drafted in Round 1 in 1981. After two years in Canada, he finally joined the Dolphins in 1983 (Dan Marino's rookie year). In the summer of 1984, he fell asleep while driving, and he ran off the road into a gas drum, blowing himself up. I wonder if he could have provided the ground game to make the Dolphins more competitive in SB 19 (and, would he have been good enough to help them get to SB XX as well. They matched up better with Chicago than NE did).

Barry Brown (1951-1978)

Best known for the Civil War era Western Bad Company, in which he played a draft dodger. Also a gifted author and film historian. personal problems, exacerbated/caused by drink.

Suicide.

Eddie Guerrero. There were some interesting matchups the WWE never got to doing with him that they may have been able to do had he not died. And it'd butterfly "EXCUSE ME" out of existence.

Hmmmm.....I never thought of that. That’d be potentially be hilarious.

oh my god i was wrong
it was earth all along

best simpsons parody ever. Witih their spoof of The X-files, of course. LMAO.

There was also the actor that was to voice Shrek and died some months before Hartmann, another comedic genius - Chris Farley.
We were somewhat robbed of both Hartmann Zap Brannigan AND Chris Farley Shrek (although both replacements were pretty good)
Poor Chris Farley destroyed himself but
in Hartmann case his nut girlfriend had already menaced him in anger, but he stuck with her, trying to help her out of misery... and he was rewarded with death. Freck.

The string of death and horrific acccidents that marred both CART and IRL in 1995-2001 was like a perfect shitstorm at the worse possible moment - when CART was not dead yet and ceasefire was being discussed with Tony George. Greg Moore, Scott Brayton...
Very similar shitstorms happened in F1, too, think Didier Pironi in 1982 or Imola 1994 of course.
1986 was also a litany of horrors. Accidents in F1, Le Mans Group C and Group B WRC left 5 dead in May and June alone - De Angelis, Toivonnen, Jo Gartner...

Last edited:
Bill Paxton
Carole Lombard
Freddie Mercury

And he's not a celebrity, but Jeff "Mayhem" Thompson, who took two bullets to save members of the band Damageplan during a concert. I knew him and him taking bullets is just like him. Miss him.

Here are a few classic era voice actors I would save from at least dying so soon...

Don Messick: He would a perfect candidate for old characters in modern times if he lived. I could even see him reprise his role as Papa Smurf in at least The Lost Village.

Mel Blanc: He would have had a few more years if not for that accident in the hospital. I can even see him with a possible role in Batman: The Animated Series.

Daws Butler: Again, another voice acting classic. I could see him continue to voice Yogi Bear and his other characters before moving on to old characters like Grandpas.

I can even see them voice at least one major role in my TL's Disney Animated Canon.

Last edited:
Marilyn Monroe
Kurt Cobain
Judith Barsi

Reason I would want to save Marilyn Monroe from committing suicide is because I think she would've been a great influence in the Civil Rights movement surely advocating equality for African-Americans and Latino-Americans in American media. I think she would've been great at speaking out against domestic violence and advocating more equal status for women in the 1970s when it comes to birth control, women's rights in the workplace, etc. She be a great spokesperson advocating against drug addiction as I would save her from dying from drug addiction as well.

Kurt Cobain, reason I would save him from committing suicide is mainly because I would like to see what it be like had he changed his ways went to rehab and ends up advocating against illegal drugs like heroin. Seeing him alive today would be interesting to see for sure.

As for Judith Barsi, if anyone ever grew up or watched Land Before Time then basically you might know the voice actor for Ducky was a girl named Judith Barsi. In OTL she along with her mother were killed by their father because he had loads of problems and was jealous of his daughter's acting career. Reason I like to save her is mainly because I would want to see her end up becoming an adult actor in Hollywood and maybe a famous voice actor in animation as well, while at the same time being a huge advocate against domestic violence since she was often the victim to it by her own asshole father.

Reason I would want to save Marilyn Monroe from committing suicide is because I think she would've been a great influence in the Civil Rights movement surely advocating equality for African-Americans and Latino-Americans in American media. I think she would've been great at speaking out against domestic violence and advocating more equal status for women in the 1970s when it comes to birth control, women's rights in the workplace, etc. She be a great spokesperson advocating against drug addiction as I would save her from dying from drug addiction as well.
I actually have something like that happen in the pop culture spinoff of my railroad TL.
As for Judith Barsi, if anyone ever grew up or watched Land Before Time then basically you might know the voice actor for Ducky was a girl named Judith Barsi. In OTL she along with her mother were killed by their father because he had loads of problems and was jealous of his daughter's acting career. Reason I like to save her is mainly because I would want to see her end up becoming an adult actor in Hollywood and maybe a famous voice actor in animation as well, while at the same time being a huge advocate against domestic violence since she was often the victim to it by her own asshole father.
Again, that's another idea I had for my TL.

Not exactly an early death - she was 64 - but I wish Delia Derbyshire could have lived a few more years. She worked at the BBC Radiophonics Workshop in the 1960s and was responsible for arranging the first Doctor Who theme tune, with a mixture of oscillators and tape loops. She was an electronic music pioneer. She retired to domesticity in the 1970s but was making a tentative return to the music scene when she died in 2001. Along with Daphne Oram, Paddy Kingsland, the rest of the BBC Radiophonics Workshop, she was just was being rediscovered. At the time I remember enjoying Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin and so forth, and she would have fit in as a kind of elder stateswoman of glitch.

Also, Mary Hansen of Stereolab. She died at the age of 36 in 2002. She was hit by a truck while cycling home. She mostly contributed backing vocals - bah-bah-ba-ba, that was her thing - but her loss seemed to knock the stuffing out of the band and they were never the same afterwards.

James Beck so that Private Walker was in the last 4 years of Dad's Army in its TV and Radio versions. (I know that Larry Martin played Walker in the radio episodes recorded after Beck died.)

Also to see him with Arthur Lowe in Bunclarke With an E.

It Sticks Out Half A Mile might have worked better with Walker replacing Hodges.

Randy Rhoads was already mentioned. Today is the anniversary of his death.

Stevie Ray Vaughan: At the time of his death, Stevie was at the top of his game. He was only 35 years old when he died, and the world of blues and rock has been much poorer for it. What more could he have done? I also think it's a given he would have made a cameo in Blues Brothers 2000 had he lived, so I suppose he was spared that indignity.

Agreed on SRV. A "troubled" individual in his time, but a true master of the Fender Stratocaster.
He (much like Randy) eschewed the "limelight" of fame, but he too still had so much more to "say" when he was taken from us...

Randy Rhoads was already mentioned. Today is the anniversary of his death.

Stevie Ray Vaughan: At the time of his death, Stevie was at the top of his game. He was only 35 years old when he died, and the world of blues and rock has been much poorer for it. What more could he have done? I also think it's a given he would have made a cameo in Blues Brothers 2000 had he lived, so I suppose he was spared that indignity.
Agreed on SRV. A "troubled" individual in his time, but a true master of the Fender Stratocaster.
He (much like Randy) eschewed the "limelight" of fame, but he too still had so much more to "say" when he was taken from us...
SRV had a lengthy rehab period, and his comeback album (1989's In Step) was great. Think he'd beaten his demons, though he couldn't beat gravity.

Another: Rainer Ptacek (1951-98), out of Czechoslovakia and the German Democratic Republic. Utterly fantastic National steel player, and a haunting singer. Brain tumour.

Samantha Smith would be interesting, especially if she ended up as a world class diplomat or political figure.

Oscar Taveras could have been an Uber baseball star.

Status
Not open for further replies.