Western Roman Empire Does not Fall quite as OTL.

IDEA: What if Nero didn't build his Golden House and instead built the Coliseum after the Fire of Rome? Discuss......

Thinking of writing a Rome timeline with this as an idea, anyone like the concept??

I don't really understand how Nero is related with fall of WRE.

And yours POD hardly would change much if anything.

I don't really understand how Nero is related with fall of WRE.

And yours POD hardly would change much if anything.
He was the end of potential dynastic long term rule by the descendants of Augustus with his habit of killing family members....
It would mean that the money wasted on building Nero's golden house would be used on the coliseum while the cash from the sack of Jerusalem could be used for another project!
if descent by bloodlone can be kept rather than generals taking power all the time...
plus he would conquer Britain not Claudius to secure his reign......
The East was always destined to last longer due to larger population and the fact that it became essentially Greek......
plus I thought it was interesting as a point of divergence if Nero was not a tit......

Last edited:
He was the end of potential dynastic long term rule by the descendants of Augustus with his habit of killing family members....
It would mean that the money wasted on building Nero's golden house would be used on the coliseum while the cash from the sack of Jerusalem could be used for another project!
if descent by bloodlone can be kept rather than generals taking power all the time...
plus he would conquer Britain not Claudius to secure his reign......
The East was always destined to last longer due to larger population and the fact that it became essentially Greek......
plus I thought it was interesting as a point of divergence if Nero was not a tit......
In the long term, this is less than a drop.
Even in the age of Great Man, political will still mattered a lot.

This could butterfly the development of Western Christianity differently, taking away one of the contributing factors for the Fall of Rome.