Was there any other backward nation that tried to industrialize like Japan or was Japan just a single case?

I only know of another case similar to Japan, with Paraguay prior to the War.
I will not count Ethiopia or Thailand, maybe Liberia.

Can you define "backwards" better? Russia and China experienced rapid industrialization in the 20th century. South Korea and Taiwan share the moniker "Asian tiger economies" with Japan too.

Can you define "backwards" better? Russia and China experienced rapid industrialization in the 20th century. South Korea and Taiwan share the moniker "Asian tiger economies" with Japan too.
Specifically, I want to know if there were (failed) ATTEMPTS from some poor nations and write an alternate history.

Pretty much all poor nations would qualify. Latin america, africa and south east asia have tried to industrialized with different levels of success.
Perhaps you mean in the nineteenth century?
Like a failed meiji ?

IIRC Egypt tried to attempt it in the mid 19th century, and bet big on cotton, and bankrupted itself in the process.

Almost every non-European country in the late 19th and early 20th century tried modernization campaigns. Korea before the Japanese take over, China in the late Qing modernization efforts and then during the Nanjing decade, the Ottoman Empire with the Young Turks and after 1908 (with various scattered reform efforts before then), Thailand particularly from the 1930s onwards, most South American countries had their own path to development with export economies, etc. Japan is the only, mostly unequivocal, success story in regards to transformation to a reasonably modern industrial power.
Does Germany count
I personally consider every country to the east of the Rhine to be a failed state but unfortunately few people share this opinion

I personally consider every country to the east of the Rhine to be a failed state but unfortunately few people share this opinion
The OP post and title didn't mention anything about failed states. Certainly what can be said is that Germany, after unification, tried to industrialize- and it succeeded at its try.

Garrison

Donor
Specifically, I want to know if there were (failed) ATTEMPTS from some poor nations and write an alternate history.
I don't think you can call Japan's pre 1941 effort a failure, incomplete perhaps but not a failure. They faced problems with raw materials but that applied to any nation that didn't have large deposits of coal, Iron ore and later oil.

The Qajars in Persia tried to modernize at least, Reza Shah Pahlavi successfully completed significant industrialization though that's after 1900.

Madagascar tried it in the late 19th century, but there was a contradiction between the need for roads to get the embryonic industries (textiles IIRC) to ports and then to world markets, and the army's belief that building roads would just make things easier for any foreign invader.

In the end the French took Madagascar in 1895 anyway.

RousseauX

Donor
China, the Ottoman Empire, Egypt and tried this in the 19th century

They all had some degree of success, just less than Japan's

It's probably easier to do it with a smaller country that's still a regional power, so Egypt would be a better bet.

Were there any sub-Saharan states that could've done it? Kongo or Sokoto or somewhere?

Feels like most of Latin America was close enough to industrialization, the problem was political and (socio)economic stability.