Władysław IV marries Maria Eleonora of Brandenburg

Maria Eleonora Hohenzollern, Daughter of Elector Johann Sigismund and Anna of Prussia married IOTL Swedish king Gustav II Adolf, but another Vasa was interested in her hand before-Sigismund III Vasa wanted her for his oldest son Władysław. Brother of Maria Eleonora, Elector Georg Wilhelm, was in favour of Polish marriage of his sister, he didn't want to piss off Sigismund Vasa, whose vassal he was as Duke of Prussia. But mother of Elector-Duchess Anna opposed Polish match of her daughter, thanks to her actions it never happened-she send Maria Eleonora to her older daughter to Brunswick, where she was outside reach of brother. Then Anna finalised marriage talks with Oxenstierna in Berlin when her son was in Ducal Prussia. Maria eleonora married Swedish King.
Say that in ATL Duchess Anna dies earlier than IOTL, just after her husband in December 1619. Thus Georg Wilhelm is in better position to finalise marriage talks with Polish Vasas, Maria Eleonora marries Władysław around 1621. She was Protestant, but Władysław IV was not staunch Catholic and even his much more devout father considered marriage with Protestant, two times (with Christina of Holstein and Arbella Stuart), so hubby would not press her to convert, althoug as non-Catholic wife of Polish King she would not be crowned as Queen (like Helena of Moscow before). Say, that the two have one surviving child, son named Zygmunt Kazimierz (Sigismund Casimir) like OTL son of Władysław. Boy is extremaly lucky-despite fact, that both his parents have problems with menthal health young Vasa królewicz is one-in-million case-he is completly sane. What does it mean?
-Maria Eleonora IOTL lived until 1655, so if lived equally long ITTL she would block possibility of marriage of Władysław with Marie Louise Gonzaga. So not only is PLC free from her disastrous intrigues-Władysław without her rich dowry has less cash for preparation of his insane anti-Ottoman crusade (IOTL his machinations were cause of relatively success of Khmielnitski Uprising, not only were Cossacks better armed than during previous uprisings (with weapons bought for royal cash), they also get support of Crimean Tatars).
-Władysław's brother Jan Kazimierz IOTL resigned from title of Cardinal when his nephew Zygmunt Kazimierz (1640-1647) died, ITTL, he could remain cardinal and perhaps would take vows (so another disaster prevented, althoug without Marie Louise he would not be walking cathastrophe like IOTL anyway).
-Gustav Adolf needs another wife, any candidates?

For Gustaf:
Elizabeth of England (Anna of Denmark stood on the match OTL IIRC)
One of Wladek's full sisters survive?
Katharina of Brandenburg (Eleonore's younger sister, Princess of Transylvania OTL)
Marie Eleonore of Brandenburg (b.1607, OTL Princess Palatine of Kaiserslautern)
Katharina Sophie of the Palatinate (daughter of a Dutch princess, sister to the electress of Brandenburg and the king of Bohemia)
I'm sure you could find others, these were just ones I thought of.

I've read that Gustav looked for wife in Palatinate also, although I'm not sure who she was. It could be interesting if ITTL both Gustav and Władysław have surviving sons and both lines of House of Vasa continue. During 1648 election Zygmunt Kazimierz should won over his uncle Karol Ferdynand (it is possible, that other uncle Jan Kazimierz would not even try his chance ITTL, I'm not sure about Karol either). It would be good if Zygmunt IV is skilled commander like dad, but at the same time he is sane, then he could be able to crush (not as dangerous like IOTL) Khmielnitski Uprising if his father have no money to arm Cossacks for his lunatic crusade (when plans of his Turkish War failed, enraged Władysław said "I could as well gave all that money to my whores!" and that would be really good decision compared to what he really did with that cash ;) ).

Any suggestions what should happen with OTL Władysław IV's wife, Cecilia Renata? Philip William of Neuburg, later Elector Palatine, 4 years younger than her, seems likely.
In such case perhaps Anna Katarzyna Konstancja (only sister of Władysław IV who survived childhood and OTL wife of Philipp Wilhelm) could marry Elector of Brandenburg instead (he was considered IOTL)?

Last edited:
Any suggestions what should happen with OTL Władysław IV's wife, Cecilia Renata? Philip William of Neuburg, later Elector Palatine, 4 years younger than her, seems likely.

What about Friedrich Heinrich of the Palatinate learns how to swim, and so doesn't drown on the Harlemmermeer, and ends up marrying her instead as way of sealing the peace between the Palatinate and the Habsburgs. Granted, it might take an earlier end to the 30YW for it to happen (he's only 3 years younger, and the Stuarts would finally get their dream of a Habsburg match). Otherwise, a match in Italy seems possible/likely. Ferdinando de Medici if he doesn't get Vittoria della Rovere or Henriette Marie de France. Charles IV of Lorraine is also a possibility, I guess (but that might necessitate some changes with his OTL first wife.

Zygmunt IV OTOH would propably marry Isabella Clara of Tirol (he would be pro-Habsburg likely, like Vasas usually were before vivente rege madness) after being elected to the throne.

Zygmunt IV OTOH would propably marry Isabella Clara of Tirol (he would be pro-Habsburg likely, like Vasas usually were before vivente rege madness) after being elected to the throne.

Can't we get a(nother) non-Habsburg queen, plz? Although, to amend my above post, Cäcilie Renata could still wind up as queen of Poland (married to Wladek's son, if he's born early enough). Marie Eleonora married Gustaf in 1620, however, she was born in 1599, which means that she might've been on the market since 1612/3 (her year older sister married in 1614 already).

But that's said, back to me asking for a second non-Habsburg queen for the Wasas... maybe Elisabeth Hollandine of the Palatinate (my personal favourite) for a Zygmunt IV born in 1616? She refused Wladek OTL because his father insisted on a conversion to Catholicism. I could see Wladek being more pragmatic (especially with a Protestant wife himself) and going for Elisabeth and saying she can stay Calvinist as long as the kids are Catholic.

There is risk, that with Władek being not available, Mazarini would suggest Marie Louise Gonzaga for young Zygmunt, although Zygmunt Kazimierz would be at least 10 years younger than her (he'd be born likely after 1620), although rich dowry would be tempting. That is scenario that I'd like to avoid.

Habsburg Monarchy as only Catholic neighbour of PLC was by default main source of sppouses for Polish Kings (Poland had 8 Habsburg Queens, more than any other country, even Michał Wiśniowiecki get one). Maybe in next generation there would be Neuburg girl available for Zygmunt IV's son.

There is risk, that with Władek being not available, Mazarini would suggest Marie Louise Gonzaga for young Zygmunt, although Zygmunt Kazimierz would be at least 10 years younger than her (he'd be born likely after 1620), although rich dowry would be tempting. That is scenario that I'd like to avoid.

Habsburg Monarchy as only Catholic neighbour of PLC was by default main source of sppouses for Polish Kings (Poland had 8 Habsburg Queens, more than any other country, even Michał Wiśniowiecki get one). Maybe in next generation there would be Neuburg girl available for Zygmunt IV's son.

I was just thinking that the Sejm would be forced to choke down Maria Eleonora as a Protestant queen, so they'd be anti-Protestant queens. However, for Zygmunt the same argument can be used about why he was allowed to marry a Protestant, as why the Sejm didn't get involved in trying to secure Ludwika Radziwillowna for Jakub Sobieski (that he [Zygmunt/Jakun] was not born a king's son, so therefore his marriage had no bearing on the Sejm, even if the lady would be their future queen).

As to Marie Louise, Mazarin might be eager to get a Polish match (Marie de Guise was another offer for Wladek IIRC), but he's not stupid. No way the Poles, no matter her dowry, are going to take a girl a decade older than their king. They could just as well take Cäcilie Renata then. Where Marie Louise would marry then is anyone's guess. Since Gaston is out (as you pointed out, his mother was snubbed by the Gonzagas), I'm not sure where else she could end up.

Zygmunt IV would likely marry after election. He is his father's only son, but there still are his uncles around, so before being already elected he is not as attractive candidate for marriage as after getting crown (Anna of Prussia IOTL argued against her daughter's marriage with Władysław using the same argument-that it is not certain, that Władek would get the throne).

Whatever happens with Marie Louise-better if she ends as far from Poland as possible.

If Zygmunt IV is skilled commander and does not listen to idiot chancellor Ossoliński then Khmielnitsky Uprising would not last very long, especially considering the fact, that without Władysław IV's preparations for his insane crusade (he simply has no cash for it ITTL) uprising is not as dangerous as IOTL and have no Crimean support. After uprising is over and Khmielnitsky is executed, Jeremi Wiśniowiecki continues colonization of his estates in Ukraine. Jeremi's death is likely butterflied away, he would be useful soon. For Swedes situation is worse than IOTL, with PLC not weakened like IOTL, but they have to invade someone (large mercenary army and empty treasure means, that war is hardly avoidable). Although with different wife of Gustav Adolf not only PLC but also Sweden has different monarch. There is some chance, that PLC-Sweden war could be avoided-Sweden could invade Russia instead, but Swedes have little to gain there, nothing more than loot Novgorod and Pskov, Moscow is outside their reach, more likely Sweden would seek for alliance with Russia. Still, without Jan Kazimierz on the throne (King John Casimir was poor commander himself, and in addition he had incredible ability to make enemies everywhere, especially among skilled commanders, like Janusz Radziwiłł), with surviving Jeremi Wiśniowiecki and without loss of several officcers at Battle of Batoh, PLC would do much better.

Competent and popular king (so totall opposite of John Casimir) could use struggle with Sweden to reform military and fiscal system (like planned reforms after OTL Deluge, which duo John Casimir & Marie Louise ruined with their vivente rege nonsense) and perhaps could achieve that goal without ruining country and losing 1/4 of population.
Isabella Clara had one son with her OTL husband, so she'll have just one with Zygmunt IV (Władysław Zygmunt, future Władysław V, born in 1652). That is enough. At least it would be easier to secure his succession and find wife for him before father's death. With fourth generation of Vasas on the throne election would change into pure formality.

Zygmunt IV would likely marry after election. He is his father's only son, but there still are his uncles around, so before being already elected he is not as attractive candidate for marriage as after getting crown (Anna of Prussia IOTL argued against her daughter's marriage with Władysław using the same argument-that it is not certain, that Władek would get the throne).

Whatever happens with Marie Louise-better if she ends as far from Poland as possible.

Does only son also equate to only child? What about a sister or two for him? Poland needs allies abroad for if Sweden/Russia/insert name here comes knocking. And the Habsburgs are gonna get pissed if they have to keep running to save Poland's bacon.

Isabella Clara had one son with her OTL husband, so she'll have just one with Zygmunt IV (Władysław Zygmunt, future Władysław V, born in 1652). That is enough. At least it would be easier to secure his succession and find wife for him before father's death. With fourth generation of Vasas on the throne election would change into pure formality.

Another only child? Spreading the Wasa a bit thin, aren't we? Isabella Klara was quite pious and religiously conservative - why her sister ended up as empress (and before that considered for a match with the Protestant Palatinate). She'd have been better suited for a nun (or as queen of Spain), but the other reason is that she and her OTL husband were just too different. She was withdrawn and reserved while he was a bon vivant and was more interested in his mistress, Margherita della Rovere/Margaret Oak. So, it's sort of to be expected that they only managed one kid. If Zygmunt IV is more devoted to his wife or has more in common with Isabella Klara than her OTL husband, more than one kid shouldn't be a problem. I think it would be far more fun to save Marie Leopoldine from her unfortunate birthing experience in Vienna by sending her to Warsaw/Krakow as queen. Also, regarding Isabella's marriage to the duke of Mantua, AFAIK it was part of a political deal that the Nevers branch made when they got Mantua - eldest son marries an archduchess (I'm not sure if Eleonora Gonzaga the Younger's match with Emperor Ferdinand/archduke was also included).

Otherwise, I like where you're going with it.

If Khmielnitsky upraising is not so catastrophic and another king rules Poland, then Lithuania and northern Poland don't want to separate and be vassals of Sweden, I think. It was one of the reasons of attack of Sweden (and "Deluge"), as far as I know.
Then, another king may sign a good or even bad but peace with Sweden - Sweden asked for peace several times, but the king was not very diplomatic.

If Poland is not weak, what Moscow does in 1650s? I am doubt that it starts the war against Poland, especially if Sweden may become the ally of Poland against Moscow.
Is it possible alliance against Ottomans or Crimean?

Maria Eleonora Hohenzollern, Daughter of Elector Johann Sigismund and Anna of Prussia married IOTL Swedish king Gustav II Adolf, but another Vasa was interested in her hand before-Sigismund III Vasa wanted her for his oldest son Władysław. Brother of Maria Eleonora, Elector Georg Wilhelm, was in favour of Polish marriage of his sister, he didn't want to piss off Sigismund Vasa, whose vassal he was as Duke of Prussia. But mother of Elector-Duchess Anna opposed Polish match of her daughter, thanks to her actions it never happened-she send Maria Eleonora to her older daughter to Brunswick, where she was outside reach of brother. Then Anna finalised marriage talks with Oxenstierna in Berlin when her son was in Ducal Prussia. Maria eleonora married Swedish King.
Say that in ATL Duchess Anna dies earlier than IOTL, just after her husband in December 1619. Thus Georg Wilhelm is in better position to finalise marriage talks with Polish Vasas, Maria Eleonora marries Władysław around 1621. She was Protestant, but Władysław IV was not staunch Catholic and even his much more devout father considered marriage with Protestant, two times (with Christina of Holstein and Arbella Stuart), so hubby would not press her to convert, althoug as non-Catholic wife of Polish King she would not be crowned as Queen (like Helena of Moscow before). Say, that the two have one surviving child, son named Zygmunt Kazimierz (Sigismund Casimir) like OTL son of Władysław. Boy is extremaly lucky-despite fact, that both his parents have problems with menthal health young Vasa królewicz is one-in-million case-he is completly sane. What does it mean?
-Maria Eleonora IOTL lived until 1655, so if lived equally long ITTL she would block possibility of marriage of Władysław with Marie Louise Gonzaga. So not only is PLC free from her disastrous intrigues-Władysław without her rich dowry has less cash for preparation of his insane anti-Ottoman crusade (IOTL his machinations were cause of relatively success of Khmielnitski Uprising, not only were Cossacks better armed than during previous uprisings (with weapons bought for royal cash), they also get support of Crimean Tatars).
-Władysław's brother Jan Kazimierz IOTL resigned from title of Cardinal when his nephew Zygmunt Kazimierz (1640-1647) died, ITTL, he could remain cardinal and perhaps would take vows (so another disaster prevented, althoug without Marie Louise he would not be walking cathastrophe like IOTL anyway).
-Gustav Adolf needs another wife, any candidates?

Well, I'm a little bit reluctant to think that the fate of the PLC at that point could be radically changed by a different marriage. :p

It seems that Wladislaw was a reasonably competent tactician with a good understanding of the needed military reforms (which allowed to win Smolensk War started by Russia) but there was a limited number of things that he could do without agreement of the Sejm. The most meaningful thing to do would be to try to reconquer Livonia from the Swedes but Sejm did not have any appetite for such a war and it is anybody's guess if, even with W's reforms, the PLC's troops had been adequate for a war with a heavy stress on the siege warfare: Smolensk war had been won by superiority of the Polish cavalry with infantry still being (as far as I can tell) below the "Western" standards, artillery not too impressive (and I'm not sure where would he get the high quality military engineers). Anyway, for doing more he needed more money and nobody was going to agree to that (including burghers of Gdańsk). The relatively minor concessions the PLC got from the Treaty of Stuhmsdorf changed little: the PLC got port of Elbing and Swedes ceded the right to collect tariffs (3.5%) from the Polish trade through the Baltic Sea passing through Danzig. Riga, the biggest port on the Baltic Sea (through which the Lithuanian trade was passing) and the rest of Livonia remained in the Swedish hands.

As far as the Ottomans had been involved, the fact that the war of 1633 - 34 was started by the Ottomans/Tatars can't be simply ignored and, insane as it may look, the "crusade" you are talking about was not such a simple issue because, even if crusade itself may or may not happen, the preparations would create a bit military support base for W, the extended Cossack reester which, by definition, would support him (even if because the idea was hated by the Polish nobility :winkytongue:). Another byproduct would be at least partial reduction of the almost unchecked power of the "little kings" of Ukraine. So, in the optimistic scenario of this scenario working out the Khmelnitsky Wars may not happen at all: the initial demands of the rebelling Cossacks were more or less limited to the extension of the reestter (as was planned by W) and, IIRC, the "upgraded" status of the Cossacks' leadership.

Well, I'm a little bit reluctant to think that the fate of the PLC at that point could be radically changed by a different marriage. :p

It seems that Wladislaw was a reasonably competent tactician with a good understanding of the needed military reforms (which allowed to win Smolensk War started by Russia) but there was a limited number of things that he could do without agreement of the Sejm. The most meaningful thing to do would be to try to reconquer Livonia from the Swedes but Sejm did not have any appetite for such a war and it is anybody's guess if, even with W's reforms, the PLC's troops had been adequate for a war with a heavy stress on the siege warfare: Smolensk war had been won by superiority of the Polish cavalry with infantry still being (as far as I can tell) below the "Western" standards, artillery not too impressive (and I'm not sure where would he get the high quality military engineers). Anyway, for doing more he needed more money and nobody was going to agree to that (including burghers of Gdańsk). The relatively minor concessions the PLC got from the Treaty of Stuhmsdorf changed little: the PLC got port of Elbing and Swedes ceded the right to collect tariffs (3.5%) from the Polish trade through the Baltic Sea passing through Danzig. Riga, the biggest port on the Baltic Sea (through which the Lithuanian trade was passing) and the rest of Livonia remained in the Swedish hands.

As far as the Ottomans had been involved, the fact that the war of 1633 - 34 was started by the Ottomans/Tatars can't be simply ignored and, insane as it may look, the "crusade" you are talking about was not such a simple issue because, even if crusade itself may or may not happen, the preparations would create a bit military support base for W, the extended Cossack reester which, by definition, would support him (even if because the idea was hated by the Polish nobility :winkytongue:). Another byproduct would be at least partial reduction of the almost unchecked power of the "little kings" of Ukraine. So, in the optimistic scenario of this scenario working out the Khmelnitsky Wars may not happen at all: the initial demands of the rebelling Cossacks were more or less limited to the extension of the reestter (as was planned by W) and, IIRC, the "upgraded" status of the Cossacks' leadership.
That marriage itself would not need to change anything for better (quite opposite-menthal health issues in family means, that really insane offspring could be born from that union), but I came with optimistic scenario-Jan Kazimierz is replaced by his competent, military skilled and popular nephew. And Marie Louise Gonzaga never came to Poland. Almost everyone would be better than this couple, so we could assume, that things would go better for PLC. Jan Kazimierz was neither good commander nor good diplomat, he was good only in pissing off other people, especially if they were skilled commanders.
Władysław would not be that bad king, if not the fact, that he lost contact with reality late in his life (conquering Ottoman Empire... ekh... He could as well conquer Russia all the way to Pacific). At least he was popular and military skilled. His brother was able only to destroy everything he touched.

If Khmielnitsky upraising is not so catastrophic and another king rules Poland, then Lithuania and northern Poland don't want to separate and be vassals of Sweden, I think. It was one of the reasons of attack of Sweden (and "Deluge"), as far as I know.
Then, another king may sign a good or even bad but peace with Sweden - Sweden asked for peace several times, but the king was not very diplomatic.

If Poland is not weak, what Moscow does in 1650s? I am doubt that it starts the war against Poland, especially if Sweden may become the ally of Poland against Moscow.
Is it possible alliance against Ottomans or Crimean?
That depends on personality alternate Kings of Sweden and PLC. IOTL John Casimir still claimed Swedish throne, ITTL King Sigismund IV may be more wise and could give up empty title, that gives him nothing.

Does only son also equate to only child? What about a sister or two for him? Poland needs allies abroad for if Sweden/Russia/insert name here comes knocking. And the Habsburgs are gonna get pissed if they have to keep running to save Poland's bacon.

Another only child? Spreading the Wasa a bit thin, aren't we? Isabella Klara was quite pious and religiously conservative - why her sister ended up as empress (and before that considered for a match with the Protestant Palatinate). She'd have been better suited for a nun (or as queen of Spain), but the other reason is that she and her OTL husband were just too different. She was withdrawn and reserved while he was a bon vivant and was more interested in his mistress, Margherita della Rovere/Margaret Oak. So, it's sort of to be expected that they only managed one kid. If Zygmunt IV is more devoted to his wife or has more in common with Isabella Klara than her OTL husband, more than one kid shouldn't be a problem. I think it would be far more fun to save Marie Leopoldine from her unfortunate birthing experience in Vienna by sending her to Warsaw/Krakow as queen. Also, regarding Isabella's marriage to the duke of Mantua, AFAIK it was part of a political deal that the Nevers branch made when they got Mantua - eldest son marries an archduchess (I'm not sure if Eleonora Gonzaga the Younger's match with Emperor Ferdinand/archduke was also included).

Otherwise, I like where you're going with it.
Habsburgs had no problems with marrying their daughters to Polish monarchs, but opposite rarely happened. But OK, I'll give Władek one daughter (Anna Eleonora), could marry Philipp Wilhelm of Neuburg as second wife. Zygmunt IV also could have few daughters, but I like him to have only one son, in that cause more sons = more troubles.

That marriage itself would not need to change anything for better (quite opposite-menthal health issues in family means, that really insane offspring could be born from that union), but I came with optimistic scenario-Jan Kazimierz is replaced by his competent, military skilled and popular nephew. And Marie Louise Gonzaga never came to Poland. Almost everyone would be better than this couple, so we could assume, that things would go better for PLC. Jan Kazimierz was neither good commander nor good diplomat, he was good only in pissing off other people, especially if they were skilled commanders.
Władysław would not be that bad king, if not the fact, that he lost contact with reality late in his life (conquering Ottoman Empire... ekh... He could as well conquer Russia all the way to Pacific). At least he was popular and military skilled. His brother was able only to destroy everything he touched.

Of course, personality of a leader means something and sometimes a lot but in the cases like the PLC scope of his influence is quite limited by a number of factors which have nothing to do with his personality. While, formally, under Wladislaw the PLC reached its maximum territorial expansion the problems kept growing and just having a charismatic leader would not remove reluctance of the Sejm to pay for the military adventures which nobility considered unnecessary. It is also reasonably obvious that the Sejm would be against pretty much anything that was going to strengthen the royal power vs. one of the nobility even if this could strengthen the PLC.

A lot can be said about qualifications of Jan Kazimierz (even if Sienkiewicz discovered some strategic talents in him ;)) but Sobieski (unquestionable military talent, popularity and whatever else) also failed in most of his domestic and foreign politics. OTOH, during the same period as Sigismund - Sobieski the Tsardom had been ruled by the people of, to put it mildly, mediocre abilities (and clearly zero military talents) and passed through the difficult period of the CV/foreign intervention. However, by the end of this period it managed to regain most of the ground it lost to the PLC (and to grab a considerable piece of the territory which it never owned before), to pass through big-scale military reforms (I'm talking about pre-Peter times) and, with all its problems, became a major regional power. The Muscovite autocracy was bad but still better than whatever was there in the PLC (I'm not quite sure what it really was; not an anarchy because there were clearly defined governmental structures, not a "democracy" because most of the population was out of the system, probably an ultimate case of the "aristocratic republic"?). o_O

Of course, personality of a leader means something and sometimes a lot but in the cases like the PLC scope of his influence is quite limited by a number of factors which have nothing to do with his personality. While, formally, under Wladislaw the PLC reached its maximum territorial expansion the problems kept growing and just having a charismatic leader would not remove reluctance of the Sejm to pay for the military adventures which nobility considered unnecessary. It is also reasonably obvious that the Sejm would be against pretty much anything that was going to strengthen the royal power vs. one of the nobility even if this could strengthen the PLC.

A lot can be said about qualifications of Jan Kazimierz (even if Sienkiewicz discovered some strategic talents in him ;)) but Sobieski (unquestionable military talent, popularity and whatever else) also failed in most of his domestic and foreign politics. OTOH, during the same period as Sigismund - Sobieski the Tsardom had been ruled by the people of, to put it mildly, mediocre abilities (and clearly zero military talents) and passed through the difficult period of the CV/foreign intervention. However, by the end of this period it managed to regain most of the ground it lost to the PLC (and to grab a considerable piece of the territory which it never owned before), to pass through big-scale military reforms (I'm talking about pre-Peter times) and, with all its problems, became a major regional power. The Muscovite autocracy was bad but still better than whatever was there in the PLC (I'm not quite sure what it really was; not an anarchy because there were clearly defined governmental structures, not a "democracy" because most of the population was out of the system, probably an ultimate case of the "aristocratic republic"?). o_O
Jan Kazimierz ruined Prażmowski's plans of vreforms of Sejm in the name of vivente rege ( sejmiki had instructions to accept all reforms, except for VR, while King wanted only VR, and could give up other reforms, which were really needed, he and Queen, no one else were responsible for it. Sobieski's reign was after that disaster, at the moment, when it hardly could be reversed (and Sobieski himself, despite being excellent commander was incompetent as politician). King of PLC really had enough power to make serious troubles and Jan Kazimierz often used it (King's supporters have broken Sejm and blocked taxes to raise army when Russians invaded Lithuania in 1654 because King disliked Janusz Radziwiłł). JK was not innocent victim of the System, he was the man, who ultimately skewed it. After Civil War any initiative of King was seen by nobles as secret attempt to impose Condé on the throne.