Vive l'Empereur v1.5!

QxqSK.jpg

In this TL, the Russians, which found out about the planned Napoleonic invasion in mid 1811, are worried about how to defend their nation against the Napoleonic threat.

Petrograd, June 12th, 1811:

Tsar Alexander I desperately walks around his office. Someone knocks on the door. "Who's there?" "Pyotr Bagration, Tsar!" "Come in." the Tsar replies. His loyal general immediately comes in and tells him about the meeting he just came from.

"Sir, in the meeting, we agreed that it'd perhaps be possible to lure the French into a trap. You, tsar, would lead our First Western Army, together with Bogdanovich and De Tolly. Your army consists of roughly 105 thousand men, including a number of 5 to 7 thousand Cossacks. And over 500 guns."

"Sounds good. What will you do?"

"I will lead the Second Western Army, numbered 35 thousand men. Including a few thousand Cossacks. And i will possess around 200 guns."

"I see. What's the strategy, Bagration?"

"The problem is, we would have to mobilize our troops for a full victory. This would take too long and it would be very risky, sir. We could fight them and surrender to Moscow though, burning all possible food-wares on the way. But, an even bigger problem exists."

"And what would that be?"

"Our spies have discovered the amount of French forces deployed for the invasion."

"Go on."

Bagration sighes and sits down.

"Sir, it's the largest force to have ever been assembled in European history. Due to foreigners from conquered or surrendered nations joining the army, 600 to 700 thousand men are deployed. We'll hardly be able to win against this force. Even if we would use the strategy, our 250 thousand men would likely make no chance. As i told you before, sir, we'd have to mobilize our troops for it."

"What other choices do we have?"

"Well... ...we could, perhaps, join the Continental Alliance, but i don't think that'll be the solution..."

Deep silence starts, and only ends after five minutes, with the following sentence:

"Disagreed! Losing is betrayal! Thus, I'd rather betray the Coalition than my own people!"

Map of 1812, by Knight Templar:

The first part will come up really soon. This time, i will try not to make any mistakes (especially not concerning the Ottomans and the Danish). :p

Last edited:
1812:

January:
Napoleon fully annexes Catalonia into the French Empire.

February 16th:
Tsar Alexander I sends a messenger to Napoleon, with the following message (translated from French):

"Napoleon,

I have an announcement to make.

You have suggested to me and my people an alliance.

Hopefully it is still possible for our nation to join it.

-Tsar Alexander I."

February 21st: Letter from Napoleon arrives in Russia (also translated from French).

"Alexander,

You are welcome to join the Continental Alliance.

This is a great opportunity for our two nations to strive for power in Europe, and to defend the continent from oversea invasions by, for example, the United Kingdom.

Yours truly,
Napoleon Bonaparte."

March 6th: Napoleon and his advisors begin to discuss a third invasion of Portugal.

March 13th: Napoleon attempts to dissolve the nations of Prussia and Austria.

March 15th: Napoleon manages to destroy Prussia, gives large territories to the Duchy of Warsaw, and creates the 'Second Duchy of Prussia.' out of the remaining lands.

March 16th: Napoleon puts Francis I under pressure, unsuccessfully attempting to remove him from his throne.

FranciscusII.png

Francis I(I) after being crowned HRE in 1792

March 24th: As Francis I faces the threat of one-against-one action with Napoleon, and as George III of the UK faces being pushed off the continent, the two nations decide to form the Sixth Coalition. They are joined by Sweden, Portugal and Spain.

March 29th: The Grande Armée invades Austria, the first battles, in Bregenz; Vaduz are decisively won by the French.

April 1st: The province of Vorarlberg is captured by the French, and they now march into Tirol.

April 4th: In St. Anton, a great Austrian offensive starts.

Austrian cuirassiers with campaign equipment.
15wrS.png

Battle of St. Anton (April 4th - 16th):

Result:

Austrian victory

Commanders:

France: Michel Ney
Austria: Prince Schwazenberg

Strength:

First French Empire:
267,908 men
80,567 engaged
56 artillery

Austrian Empire:
346,039 men
106,023 engaged
49 artillery

Casualties:

First French Empire:
13,000 or more men killed and wounded
4,000 men missing

Austrian Empire:
6,000 killed and wounded

April 16th: The battle ends with a decisive Austrian victory.

1dG8B
1dG8B.jpg

French prisoners of war with Hungarian guard (right).

April 17th: The Austrians push the French into northern Italy.

April 28th: Austria is declared war upon by Russia, whose Tsar has some interest in the Austrian lands.

oni0Y
oni0Y.jpg

Russian soldiers on the Austrian front.

May 5th: After several losses against Russia, Austria, tired of the two-front-war, decides to seek an armistice.

May 7th: The war ends, with Napoleon and the Tsar gaining some Austrian territory. Francis I told his people the following:

German: "Eins, zur rechten Zeit, sollen wir vorwärts marschieren auf Petrograd, und soll ich der Verräter's Kopf auf der Moskva Kremlin zeigen! Und Napoleon... ich soll mich eines Besseren besinnen!"

English translation: "One day, when the time is right, we will march into Petrograd and put that betrayer's head on the Moskva Kremlin! And about Napoleon... i'll think of something better for him!"

May 10th: The Royal family of Spain establish a government-in-exile in New Spain, New Granada and Peru.

May 14th: The long-planned invasion of Portugal begins. The Grande Armée invades Portugal.

M1agK.png

French invasion and strategies.

May 16th: The Portuguese and British army face major losses, and decide to flee from Continental Europe.

May 17th: 1/3rd of the Portuguese army is shipped to the UK, to fight in the British army while 2/3rd is transferred to Brazil, together with the Royal Family.

800px-Pr%C3%ADncipe_Regente_de_Portugal_e_toda_a_Fam%C3%ADlia_Real_embarcando_para_Brasil_no_cais_de_Bel%C3%A9m.jpg

Flight of the Portuguese Royal Family to Brazil.

May 19th: Government-in-exile established in Brazil.

May 21st: The Coalition now consists of only the UK, Sweden and two governments-in-exiles. Thus, the UK pushes for an armistice with the Continental Alliance, which succeeds.

June 18th: The War of 1812 starts between the UK and the USA.

July 2nd: The Americans are slowly losing the war, being blockaded by the Royal Navy, and thus vulnerable for attacks from Canada. They begin discussing the situation in Europe, and the possibilities of French support.

July 7th: President Madison sends a letter to Napoleon with the following text:

"Napoleon,

You are probably informed about the unfortunate situation for us on the other side of the Atlantic.

We aren't asking for you to risk loss in your own war, but what we are asking for is, support from France to the United States of America.

Once we are in a better condition, we will do the same for you, whenever your nation and people are in trouble.

Maybe even a Defensive Alliance?

Hopefully, we aren't asking asking too much of you.

Yours truly,
James Madison."

July 12th: Napoleon's reaction arrives in the United States.

"President Madison,

I agree to join this Defensive Alliance you speak of.
Although the British have superiority over the Atlantic, we will try to send your people as much support as possible.

We have an armistice at this very moment, so if the shippings are send in secret, they will have no casus belli.

However we are unsure of the situation in your docks, please send us a list of coastal cities and harbors that are not under control of the British.

We don't want to risk anything.

-Napoleon Bonaparte."

July 18th: A list of American docks without British threat arrives in France.

July 23rd: Napoleon sends shippings of huge amounts of food; metals and other resources and food-wares to the USA.

July 28th: Guerrilla Warfare from Catalonia against the French spreads over Portugal and Galicia.

August 12th: New Spain declares independence from Spain, and is divided into three factions: Mexico; Yucatan and Central America.

August 17th: Part of Peru declares independence.

August 18th: The British begin plans for establishing colonies in Patagonia, using the Falklands as a strategic location.

August 23rd: Guerrilla Warfare in Iberia ends.

September: Nothing special happens except for continued war between the UK and the USA.

October: The British set up two colonies in Patagonia, after preparing fortwo months.

December 19th: Since the British are pushed off the continent, the Russians decide to declare war on the Ottoman Empire.

December 23rd: Napoleon joins the war on Russia's side.

December 25th: The Russians invade the European territories of the Ottoman Empire, and slowly push down.

December 27th: French troops land in Tunisia and in Europe they invade the Bosnia territory.

The World by 1813:

agFYF.png

Please comment! Positive and/or Negative ones are both appreciated! :D

Thanks! :)

-Korporal Nooij.

Last edited:
Bump!

Sorry, usually i don't bump like this, but... i'm not sure if i should continue this TL! :(

There are 116 views, but no replies. I guess that means there's something wrong with my TL! Please tell me what the problem is! ;)

Sorry! :(

And thanks!

Sachyriel

Banned
...whoa, I think I want more pictures than maps, how about some pictures of the Era with alternate captions or titles? Famous books rewritten or something? Like, I love the whole political global TL, but details, surely we can't miss some details of culture?

...whoa, I think I want more pictures than maps, how about some pictures of the Era with alternate captions or titles? Famous books rewritten or something? Like, I love the whole political global TL, but details, surely we can't miss some details of culture?

Thanks for your comment! :D

OK, i shall edit my post and put some pictures in it! ;)

EDIT: Done! Hope this is better! :D

Last edited:
Thank you Ostost, but that is partly thanks to your advise! ;)

1813:

January 12th: Napoleon fully annexes Tunisia into the French Empire.

January 14th: The Ottoman Empire pushes into the Russian Caucasus.

January 16th: French shipping with resources and food, which is on it's way to the US, is captured by the British.

January 19th:
The UK declares the Armistice invalid and declares war upon Russia and France.

January 21st: The Seventh Coalition is created. It consists of the UK; The Ottoman Empire; Sweden; Spain and Portugal.

January 23rd: Sweden mobilizes it's army.

January 24th: Denmark-Norway mobilizes it's army.

January 26th:
Border skirmishes between Russia and Sweden start in northern Scandinavia.

January 29th: Sweden wins several battles against Russia and slowly pushes into northern Finland.

January 30th: The Swedish request the British to send troops to defend Stockholm against possible invasions.

February 7th:
Napoleon makes Portugal it's puppet state, and makes his younger brother Lucien Bonaparte the Archduke of Lusitania.

February 9th: Finnish Army is organized by Sweden and is put under command of Carl Johan Adlercreutz.

February 10th:
The Finnish Army pushes through Russia, and splits into two divisions: The First Finnish Division and the Second Finnish Division. The first commanded by Adlercreutz and the latter by Georg Carl von Döbeln.

February 11th: The Second Finnish Division secures the Finnish coast, while the First division pushes eastward through northern Finland.

February 12th: The Royal Navy transports British troops to Sweden, but is attacked by the Danish navy near Copenhagen.

February 14th:
The Coalition declares war on Denmark-Norway, which now officially joins the Continental Alliance.

February 16th: First skirmishes start between Denmark and Sweden on the Norwegian borders.

February 17th: British troops invade the Danish mainland, at Thyboran. It's a major victory for Denmark, although it had definitely weakened both sides.

5ppho.png

British troops on the Danish coast before surrendering.

February 18th: Sweden invades northern Norway.

February 19th: Southern Norway revolts against the Danish Royal Family, and is supported by the Coalition.

February 23rd: The British invade the Danish West Indies; Danish Africa; Greenland and Iceland, with an estimated amount of 18,000 troops.

March 1st: Stalemate between the Coalition and Denmark. All Danish colonies are lost to the British, except for Iceland, and the northern parts of Norway now belong to Sweden. The southern part is semi-independent from Denmark. Denmark is also forced to leave the Continental Alliance.

March 4th: The Grande Armée now counts 950.000 men (due to Prussians, South Slavs and even Portuguese joining the army). Napoleon decides to take 350.000 men out of it and put them in a new army, specialized for the conditions in Tunisia and other North African territories. The new army is to be known as l'Armée d'Afrique.

March 8th: Napoleon visits Tunis, and provides a speech for the people. He said the following:

"People of Tunisia!

All of you are now citizens of the glorious French Empire!

I will make sure that you will be treated better than when you were under the Ottomans! Everyone will gain the same rights and there shall be a constitution! I will make sure that you will all notice the profits of this annexation! We are all the same! We will have the same rules!

But, my dear people, in exchange, i do expect you to show your loyalty to me and your co-citizens in Paris! We are on a big crusade! A modern crusade against the Turks! Weshall stand side-by-side, and push through Africa! Together, we shall make it all the way to Constantinople! There we shall meet our great allies the Russians!

Please, dear Tunisians, join the army! Join l'Armee d'Afrique! Your family will be proud of you! I will be proud of you! Everyone will be proud of you!"

March 10th: Napoleon returns to Paris. Upon his return, he is informed that about 20-40% of the Tunisian population has joined the army.

March 16th: l'Armee d'Afrique pushes into Libya.

rddiQ.png

Troops of l'Armée d'Afrique, taking a break and resting in Liberia.

March 21st: The Second Finnish Division meets Swedish-speaking Finnish civilians. They join the division.

May 3rd: The Second Finnish Division stays in Swedish Finland, and they create 'The Kingdom of Finland' with 'Georg Carl I' as it's ruler. This new nation immediately joins the Coalition.

May 14th: As the situation of the Anglo-American war is calming down, a British expedition into the western North American territory, along Alaska, starts.

May 21st: The territory is succesfully colonized by the British.

May 24th: The British invade Alaska from the east, and the Royal Navy begins to blockade Alaskan ports, aswell as a few Siberian ones.

June 1st: Successful French offensive into the Balkans.

xmTEn.png

Russian Cossacks in the Balkans.

June 6th: The British invade Alaska.

June 14th: Successful Ottoman offensive into the Caucasus.

June 28th: French troops push on through Libya.

July 5th: L'Armée d'Afrique cuts Libya off from Egypt.

July 14th: The British begin to invade Russian coasts along the Sea of Okhotsk and the Bering Strait.

July 25th: The UK buys Mozambique from Portugal/Brazil.

August 28th: The French Empire annexes Libya.

September: Napoleon announces his long-planned second invasion of Egypt, and says he will prepare for two months.

October: President Madison is captured by British soldiers. Vice President Elbridge Gerry becomes the new President.

November: Madison is hung by the British. Revolts spread over all that remains of the USA, and Gerry begins to question if he should ask the British for peace.

December: Armistice is signed between the US and the UK. The Peace Treaty is to be signed in January.

The world by 1814:

mXv9D.png

I will have pictures up tomorrow! ;)

By the way, do you (whoever is reading this) think the Spanish and Portuguese monarchs would call their lands Spain and Portugal? Or do you think they would change the names, according to the geographic location, to Colombia and Brazil?

Last edited:
I guess that, since i'm not getting responses, the TL probably isn't good. :p

I will stop writing! Thanks for the great comments and advice, mmmeee0 and Ostost! :)

I will retry when i have more experience!

Thanks.

I just read this. I like the basic assumption of Bagration telling the Czar that with 250,000 men he couldn't win against the French with 600,000.

As to the rest, it feels a bit rushed and bulletin pointed.
"In October this happened, then in November that happened and in December something else did not happen...."

It doesn't make for very pleasant reading IMO.

Perhaps if you add a little geo-political motivations (why did countries ally or not or why did they declare war?). Or describe campaigns in a little more detail, it would make for a more readable story.

Just my $0.02

I just read this. I like the basic assumption of Bagration telling the Czar that with 250,000 men he couldn't win against the French with 600,000.

As to the rest, it feels a bit rushed and bulletin pointed.
"In October this happened, then in November that happened and in December something else did not happen...."

It doesn't make for very pleasant reading IMO.

Perhaps if you add a little geo-political motivations (why did countries ally or not or why did they declare war?). Or describe campaigns in a little more detail, it would make for a more readable story.

Just my $0.02

Thanks for the advice! It helps alot! Now i know what i was doing wrong! :D

I will, hopefully by next week, post a new version of the TL! Thanks!

Last edited: