Victoria II

Rhand

Banned
The trick is to bait the other guy into attacking by exposing a "weak" position that you can easily reinforce. Because, as you say, defenses are so strong, they won't be annihilated unless the enemy has massively overwhelming numerical superiority. Plus, infantry is very weak by itself in the late game, but AI armies are often heavily infantry based, so that smaller but better-balanced forces can crush them. It wouldn't work as well against other humans...but who plays multiplayer, anyways?

(This is how I wiped out hundreds of regiments of the British army in that USA game while invading the UK...though it helped that their whole army was in Ireland, so I could control how many men I was facing at a time)

I watched the Vicky Freeforums guys and Slayzer92 play multiplayer. They were in a Great War with France/Italy/Russia/Iran against Germany/Austria-Hungary/Ottoman Empire. They formed battle lines and only attacked when someone had overwhelming force. This was easier when attacking Russia, which has a much longer line of battle than Germany vs. France.

In any case, baiting the AI is fun and never gets old :)

I just got ahold of Vicky 2, and when I opened it up, it became obvious to me that I have no idea how to play this game, and Paradox's "tutorials" aren't much help either.

Can anyone recommend a good youtube tutorial or something to help me get started?

B-29_Bomber

Banned
I just got ahold of Vicky 2, and when I opened it up, it became obvious to me that I have no idea how to play this game, and Paradox's "tutorials" aren't much help either.

Can anyone recommend a good youtube tutorial or something to help me get started?

Play as the USA.

As them, you're playing as a large, isolated, resource rich, and consolidated state. This means you have the resources to go toe to toe with Britain, but the isolation to determine the rules of engagement. To go along with that, you can initially ignore industry(I've always had a decent economy, even when I did this). There are only about 2-3 wars you HAVE to fight, Mexican-American War(possibly the Texan War for Independence) and the Civil War. Everything else is up to you.

Victoria II PDM: Victoria!

I just united India as the Sikh Empire. After the Sepoys pushed the Brits out of India there was chaos, disorder and war on a massive scale as both me and Bengal quickly emerged as the two powerhouses on the subcontinent. I managed to use a combination of conquest, puppeteering and sphering to secure Southern and Western India while Bengal blobbed into whatever just so happened to be left. We both raised massive armies with none of us having a clear advantage, so I waited. I trained my army, gaining them veterancy by invading and conquering Somalia, Ethiopia and Darfur and colonizing most other provinces in Eastern Africa. Finally I felt I had the advantage so the Great Indian War began, me and my sphere against Bengal. The battles teetered back and forth with the front frequently changing from in Bengali territory to in mine. Finally, after almost a year of war, there was a breakthrough. There was a massive, massive reactionary revolt in Bengal forcing him to pull troops back home and allowing me to close in the gap. One after another Bengali armies were routed by the massive rebel stacks and then pushed into my armies and squished. Finally, on February 4th, 1881 the Bengali capital fell to a Hindustani-Sik coalition and their President was captured. While in prison he received news of the collapse of the Bengali Army, and he agreed to a peace. On February 5th, 1881 and after almost 3 years of brutal, fifty on fifty stack battles the Sikh Emperor declared India united for the first time in its history. Now, I plan on moving Indian culture West into Persia and East Africa (I have Afghanistan as a puppet). Soon, Paris will fall to the mighty Indian Army, the best in the world!

I knew it was F10 or F11 just didn't know which one. How do you get it to look like this:
V2_MAP_MEX_19321024_1.jpg.html
(for the record that is a Mexican Empire) there must be a button right?

@Ephraim:
That's a pretty nice Persia you've got there.

Is your monitor kind of dark, by any chance? Your saturation seems kind of high in that screencap.

@NiceMonster42:
As far as I know, there has been no official announcement or even hints that Victoria III is in the works. Even if it is in the works, I'd still say Victoria II is worth getting; Paradox games are usually rubbish for the first 6 months at the very least.

Is your monitor kind of dark, by any chance? Your saturation seems kind of high in that screencap.

He uploaded the bitmap that the game saved rather than converting it to something else first. His hosting site can’t correctly render the bitmap, and so it shows up wrong here.

Why on Earth Paradox saves those files as .bmp is beyond me…

My post must have been badly phrased. I meant to imply that Paradox is still sticking to old and outdated formats and practices in their games.