Very Minor PODs

Daniel Stern was originally offered the role of Dale Gribble in King of the Hill but the role was offered to Johnny Hardwick when a salary agreement could not be reached.

X Japan planned to reform with hide as the vocalist but his death prevented this.

X Japan again... if Toshi doesn't join the production of Hamlet, he doesn't meet Wanku and doesn't get sucked into the Home of Heart cult. He doesn't waste twelve years of his life being used as a prop.

X Japan planned an American release in the 1990's that never happened.

Once more, hide planned to tackle the international market with Zilch and even incorporated English language songs.

An important step in the foundation of National Lampoon was a parody in the Harvard Lampoon called Bored of the Ring, which Tolkien signed off on. In a universe where the Beatles did an adaptation of the Lord of the Rings, the rights may be such that they never do that parody, meaning potentially no National Lampoon. No Lampoon, you've just butterflied away major elements of comedy, comedians' careers, Saturday Night Live (which ripped everything and everyone off or away from the Lampoon, back when SNL was funny and didn't play safe to midwestern tourists), major elements of the counterculture, and all the films that came from the National Lampoon.

Last edited:
Here is a recent one for British politics. The postal system over Christmas 2007 is a bit better and all votes arrive in time for the Lib Dem leadership contest. As a result, Chris Huhne beats Nick Clegg and becomes leader of the Lib Dems. Huhne does worse than Clegg, both because he is less impressive in the debates and the fact he is more left wing doesnt appeal as much to voters in marginals with the Tories. The Lib Dems lose more seats in 2010, and Cameron decides to go into minority with support from the NI unionist parties rather than risk an uneasy coalition with the Lib Dems. The government falls after a couple of years amidst a poor economic performance, and Labour win power under Ed Miliband in 2012.
Seeing as Huhne resigned from Parliament in 2013 after being sentenced to eight months in prison for perverting the course of justice over a speeding ticket, I think there are lots of interesting places you could go with this PoD.

Ron Goldman arrives a little bit later. He sees OJ leave Nichole's house wearing bloody clothes, bloody Bruno Mali shoes, a bloody glove and carrying a bloody knife. As incompetent as Marcia Clark was in handling that case, I think she actually puts him on the stand.

Archibald

Banned
Peter Hyams Capricorn one is never done, and this impact on O.J Simpson career and life just enough he doesn't murder his wife. Best thing to come out of this: no bloody Kardashian whores, since father didn't become famous defending O.J

Peter Hyams Capricorn one is never done, and this impact on O.J Simpson career and life just enough he doesn't.....

Also, 'Capricorn One' was probably the movie that made that 'Hey, we never went to the moon. All the images of those astronauts planting flags were done in a movie studio" trope. If not for that movie, the moon hoax conspiracy would of course still be around, but it wouldn't be as big as it is today....

Peter Hyams Capricorn one is never done, and this impact on O.J Simpson career and life just enough he doesn't murder his wife. Best thing to come out of this: no bloody Kardashian whores, since father didn't become famous defending O.J

How is missing one movie going to stop Nichole from giving back his birthday gifts and saying their relationship is over. How is it going to stop Paula Barberi from leaving the dear john voice mail the morning of the murders.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
How is missing one movie going to stop Nichole from giving back his birthday gifts and saying their relationship is over. How is it going to stop Paula Barberi from leaving the dear john voice mail the morning of the murders.

I imagine the butterflies of not seeing a movie in 1977 will butterfly the shit out of his personal life by 1994.

Archibald

Banned
Also, 'Capricorn One' was probably the movie that made that 'Hey, we never went to the moon. All the images of those astronauts planting flags were done in a movie studio" trope. If not for that movie, the moon hoax conspiracy would of course still be around, but it wouldn't be as big as it is today....

Spot on. And, incidentally, it was the same Peter Hyams that did a sequel to Kubrick's 2001 - 2010, a pretty bad movie.

So in a nutshell, Hyams ruined both 1968 sensations - real-world Apollo 8 (with Capricorn One) and 2001 hard sci-fi (with 2010)

What if Titanic didn't sunk in 1912 but was used as a hospital ship during WWI. Lots of saved people, but then..no Sandro DiCaprio obviously :D

There are many POD's that could have saved the ship - Smith listening to the ice watch warnings, not deferring to Ismay, or simply slowing down. Actually fitting more lifeboats as the davits could hold another set of boats.

The officer on duty at the time of the collision gave two conflicting orders - "full astern" and then "hard to port". The water was so churned up by the first order, the rudder didn't have enough bite and thus the ship hit the 'berg. If he'd issued just one of the two, the ship would have missed the 'berg or hit it dead on. First action means a close shave and the second means the ship would have been damaged with some flooding, but not enough to sink her.

Minor POD for the ship, but massive butterflies elsewhere.

Or how about her sister, Britannic, hitting that mine a few days later will a full complement of wounded?

In the film 'UHF', there is a Rambo parody. Part of it involves a carny selling tickets to the attack helicopter. This was originally supposed to be played by Sylvester Stallone, but due to a scheduling conflict, he was unavailable.

I've had a subconcious thought for a while I just realized I had. In regards to The Princess Bride, that movie is great, but the soundtrack is so dated and wonky. It's an electronic synth soundtrack. It makes the movie feel like it belongs on VHS or home video of some type, and not in a movie theater. And I could theorize that's part of the reason it didn't do well in the theater but did well on video. So I wonder what if they had done the soundtrack with a traditional orchestral score. I think it would have been stronger.

That's not just an AH thought. They could still do that if they ever had the inkling to for a new video release. They did it with the 1930s Dracula. Granted, they did an entirely new soundtrack for a film without any soundtrack there, but you get the idea. It's possible. It'd be an interesting experience because it'd inject a different sort of soul into the same film.

My idea of this thread is that if you were ISOTed as an individual to the ALT you would notice small things. Here are some examples:

Stop signs in most major countries are octagonal shaped with white letters on a red background. The lettering may say "STOP" and/or the equivalent in the local language. Yield signs are an inverted triangle with black letters on a yellow background with "YIELD" the equivalent.

What if the stop sign was the inverted triangle (still red & white) and the yield sign was the octagon? Reasoning: The octagon looked like a roundabout where the yield signs were first used.

No major change in the civilization, but you would know at once you were in another universe. I'm sure there would be lots of butterflies, but major? I don't know.

Another one: When I was growing up in the 40s & 50's most men wore hats. Look at old movies (my favorite:Laura (1944) - With Jean Tierney, Dana Andrews & Clifton Webb). This declined during the 60s and now very few men put on hats (excluding caps and cowboy hats).

If men's hats were still in fashion, you would notice immediately if you were ISOTed to Wall Street during the day. Again, I can't see major butterflies.

Thank You,
MrBill