Very Minor PODs

Possible repeat from me:

John Lennon was originally intended for, and showed interest in playing Dr. Falken in the film WarGames. He was killed before the film entered production.

It's a Wonderful Life was a minor film upon it's release. It only became a holiday tradition because it had fallen into the public domain and television stations could air it very cheaply. Hence, people assumed it was a holiday classic and it became one.

The film lost it's public domain status because of a supreme dick move by Paramount. The studio discovered that while the film was in the public domain, the soundtrack was not. And therefore the film -which was only remembered because it was aired constantly while in the public domain- lost that status.

A similar thing happened to McLintock!. The film itself is in the public domain, but the music in the film is not.

For want of a nail, Paramount could have failed to think up that dick move, or either one could have lost out in their legal cases, resulting in both being public domain. And in the universe of That Whacky Redhead, thanks to George Lucas, Paramount has been punished.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
I've got two

Franz Ferdinand tells his driver in advance he's going to the Hospital.

The firing pin's for Lt. Christian Donhauser, Lt. Karl Thom, and Sargeant Carl Graper guns all develop slight dents on July 14th...

Ray Liotta could have had a stronger career with different management. He focused on having varied roles rather than trying to build up based on Goodfellas.

Manic Street Preachers wanted to release Patrick Bateman as the lead single off Gold Against The Soul but had to settle with it being relegated as a b-side instead.

If Richey never disappears, the band may break up. The stress of his anorexia and alcoholism took a toll on the band and, along with his desire for a 'Pantera meets NIN meets Screamadelica' type record, they may break up.

A Design For Life (and by extension, the entire Everything Must Go record) wouldn't exist either.

Marilyn Manson was planning to release a 'Celebritarian' album. But shit happened and we got Eat Me, Drink Me instead.

Which would have been much better than Eat Me Drink Me, IMO - only album I've hated.

Other Marilyn Manson related PODs -
Trent Reznor decided to re-record and himself produce the debut album Portrait of an American Family after disliking the original producer's softening of their sound.

Interscope, in part because of the below point among others, almost didn't release Portrait. In such a situation Reznor would have invoked a clause allowing him to release anything by him or another artist under his Nothing label through a different label. They got as far as talking to Maverick, Madonna's label, before they worked things out.

Marilyn claims he ran into Axl Rose at a club and told him about Charles Manson's album. IOTL Axl covered "Look At Your Game, Girl" as a hidden track, drawing protests from the families of the survivors. Marilyn said this nearly knocked his own cover/remake, "My Monkey", off the album. If this run-in doesn't happen it could have practically nil effect, but on the other hand maybe the family protests over that - which could have a slight Body Count effect as people check out the album, leading to pre-Sweet Dreams success.

The last one that would probably require an ASB - Jordowsky makes a movie based on Holywood.

Joel Hodgson auditioned for the role of Philo in UHF.

IIRC Al wanted him, but he ended up being busy with MST.

Speaking of which, MST could have been 2K instead of 3K according to one story about it's title.

Joel has also said if Mike was there from the beginning he might have been host due to Joel's discomfort in front of the camera.

A major one for MiSTies - they signed with a less clueless studio to do the movie.

Josh Dunn doesn't join the band Twenty One Pilots; or Josh Done and Jenna Joseph both join Twenty One Pilots along with the original three members of the band being retained.

Steven Seagal almost managed to get a Genghis Khan biopic made, starring himself. It didn't get made. Seagal isn't Asian. Not even a little bit.

The Famicom had, but NES did not have a microphone built into the controller. This made certain NES game features non-accessible outside of Japan.

Owen Hart manages to execute a perfect piledriver against Steve Austin at Summerslam 1997.

This, IMO, probably butterflies away Hart's death...