Venice and the Congress of Vienna

At the Congress of Vienna, the Austrian Empire was able to convince the victorious allies to create the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia out of the core lands of the old Republic of Venice which fell early in the war in 1797, and the Austrian territory of Lombardy, a Hapsburg domain since the 16th Century.

Would it be possible for the British representatives (the most logical choice IMO) to counter the Austrian demands for the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia by suggesting a restoration of the old Republic of Venice? To sweeten the deal, perhaps the British could suggest allowing a Hapsburg monarch to sit on the throne of a Constitutional Monarchy in line with the British model, rather than a monarch in line with the Austrian model? I'm not sure if the British were paranoid of Austrian influence in Italian politics or not, so correct me if I'm wrong.

This way, we have a government that is both responsive to the local population, one which had been under a republican form of government for nearly a thousand years, as well as giving lip service to the Austrian demands. If it is possible, what role would this restored Republic of Venice play in the next 50 years? Would the Congress of Vienna restore some of the old Balkan territories to the resurgent Venetians? Would they rebuild their merchant fleet and attempt to regain their place in the Mediterranean Sea trade? Would they build a modern trained and equipped army?

More importantly, would it be the Republic of Venice with its north-easterly position in the Italian Peninsula and its long history of republican government, and not Sardinia-Piedmont, that is the leader in Italian Unification?

Philip

Donor
Would it be possible for the British representatives (the most logical choice IMO) to counter the Austrian demands for the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia by suggesting a restoration of the old Republic of Venice?

I am not sure that the British are in a position to make such demands. Are they going to go to war over it? Do they expect Austria to vacate Naples out of good will? Perhaps if the Doge had escaped and weathered the war elsewhere under British protection.

Also, the Congress was not overly fond of republics.

To sweeten the deal, perhaps the British could suggest allowing a Hapsburg monarch to sit on the throne of a Constitutional Monarchy in line with the British model, rather than a monarch in line with the Austrian model?

How does this sweeten the deal for the Austrians?

I'm not sure if the British were paranoid of Austrian influence in Italian politics or not, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Paranoid or not, I don't think they could do much about it. The goal of Vienna was to restore, at least to some extent, the status quo ante bellum. That means Austria influence in Italy.

This way, we have a government that is both responsive to the local population, one which had been under a republican form of government for nearly a thousand years,

Are you suggesting that the government of the Republic of Venice was responsive?

eh dosent seem that likely. it would be nice but naw. I agree with Philip. the Congress of Viena looked very unfavorly at Republics for the French Republic created Napoleon. Maybe a Kingom of Venice but still unlikely