Urgent Fury erupts

Could the 1983 invasion of Grenada, Operation Urgent Fury, have somehow erupted into full-scale war between the United States and Cuba? Cuban military units fought American troops during the invasion and Cuba supported the Grenadan Marxist regime. What would happen if this occured?

THere would not be a full-scale war for two reasons.

I) The USSR guarantees Cuba militarily. If the US invade or otherwise attack Cuba openlky, they risk Soviet retaliation.

II) If Cuba decides to use that porotection to in turn attack the US diurectly, I have no doubt Moscow would do a quick analysis of the situations and yank it. And without Soviet protection, Cuba would last two hours.

It just doesn't compute under Cold War parameters (or under New World Order ones, either, at least from Cuba's POV.)

AFAIK, the Cubans on Grenada who took on the 82nd and Rangers at Salines airfield IIRC were only construction workers who'd had some basic mil training, but who fought so well that the American soldiers actually thought they were up against a much larger contingent of regular Cuban soldiers.

So, you guys don't reckon castro would've tried to move on Guantanamo bay in the aftermath of a more protracted US-Cuban clash during URGENT FURY ? What about the potential of even greater conflict between the US and Cuba say had Cuban military advisors and Grenadian soldiers actually decided to start rounding up some of the 500-odd American medical students on the island to hold as hostages after the Hudson Austin coup in Oct 1983 ?

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
Against international law, condemned by UN

It was an invasion of the commonwealth, flying in face of the express wishes of the Queen and Margaret Thatcher. :mad:

When a Governor calls for Commonwealth assistance and the USA invades, does that mean the USA has rejoined the commonwealth?

Only nine countries objected to the UN condemnation (Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Dominica, El Salvador, Israel, Jamaica, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent, Grenada, and the United States*). While 122 voted in favour. United Nations General Assembly adopted General Assembly resolution 38/7 which "deeply deplores the armed intervention in Grenada, which constitutes a flagrant violation of international law and of the independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity of that State".

*Those that had conducted the invasion, plus Israel and El Salvador. Lap dogs.

Last edited:
It was an invasion of the commonwealth, flying in face of the express wishes of the Queen and Margaret Thatcher. :mad:

When a Governor calls for Commonwealth assistance and the USA invades, does that mean the USA has rejoined the commonwealth?

Only nine countries objected to the UN condemnation (Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Dominica, El Salvador, Israel, Jamaica, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent, Grenada, and the United States*). While 122 voted in favour. United Nations General Assembly adopted General Assembly resolution 38/7 which "deeply deplores the armed intervention in Grenada, which constitutes a flagrant violation of international law and of the independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity of that State".

*Those that had conducted the invasion, plus Israel and El Salvador. Lap dogs.

yadda yadda yadda. You'll notice that the Grenadans themselves were pretty happy about the invasion; after the coup, the island fell into utter chaos, with no one clearly in charge, and the various para-military forces running riot. The Grenadans had been subject to torture by the Communist government for it's entire existence... most tellingly, the coup leaders refused to be tried under the laws that they had written themselves.
And if you're so angry about 'invading the Commonwealth' I'd ask why the Commonwealth didn't do something a hell of a lot sooner... Grenada should have been invaded by the Commonwealth a hell of a lot sooner, when it was realized just what a bloody-handed tyrant Bishop was....
for a good look at the whole conflict, read "Urgent Fury" by Maj. Mark Adkin, a retired British officer who was in Barbados at the time, and had a lot to do with the invasion. He's solidly of the opinion that the invasion was necessary and a good idea (although he's highly critical of the way the US forces carried it out). If a British officer who was very familiar with the region is of that opinion, then I think I can safely ignore yours...

Caribbean islands? I thought we were allowed to invades those? It does seem like a US past time...

In all seriousness, there was a Cuban back coup on the island, which banned all other political parties and made it a dictatorship. The US decided this wasn't ok, and invaded. While everyone at the UN was whining about international law, democracy was restored. All things considered, I think it was one of the more successful and justifiable US military missions. And beside, I don't think the Granadians are too angry about the whole thing. Now they have a holiday to celebrate the invasion!

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
THere would not be a full-scale war for two reasons.

I) The USSR guarantees Cuba militarily. If the US invade or otherwise attack Cuba openlky, they risk Soviet retaliation.

II) If Cuba decides to use that porotection to in turn attack the US diurectly, I have no doubt Moscow would do a quick analysis of the situations and yank it. And without Soviet protection, Cuba would last two hours.

It just doesn't compute under Cold War parameters (or under New World Order ones, either, at least from Cuba's POV.)

VERY true on the first point.

As to the 2nd... Do you really thing it would have taken two hours? Flight time from Florida in around 15 minutes.

I dubt Cuba could move forces to either Grenada or Florida when the US navy is in the area. And I dubt the US would do something about Cuba when all their best forces are tied up in another operation.