Universal Ecoregion Key?

Based on https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/Vegetation.png here is something I mocked up quickly. For actual usage, I'd prefer to use the a-h off-white for ice sheet rather than that grey colour used on the wikipedia image.

Edit: I can confirm that this entire palette is X2-friendly (i.e., no colours are duplicated).

Wikipedia terrain.png

Last edited:
Paintshop pro. I also tend to use the dipper tool in psp a lot, to help me identify the RGB values of source pixels.

VT45

Banned
For Koppen climates I’ve just been using the Wikipedia colours. I didn’t realise there was an official official colour scheme for it

VT45

Banned
So here's what I'm doing:
Y40O8JT.png

I'm expanding each of the vegetation categories to be able to distinguish between up to 15 different ecoregions in each category. So for example if you need a map that distinguishes between the Pine Barrens and the Northeastern coastal forests, you can do so easily. I just wanna make sure as I go through I'm not repeating colours. I'm also thinking we should probably add in a category for mixed forests, as well as some other categories. I'll figure out which as I go through the list.

VT45

Banned
And here's the whole finished thing. @Ashtagon I'd appreciate your help in making sure this is X-2 friendly and just visually friendly, since there are several colours there that are very similar
bUj5ye1.png

VT45

Banned
Couple more we should use:
temperate mixed forests (as I mentioned before)
subtropical/tropical conifer forests
temperate conifer forests
Split Mediterranean into forest and scrub
flooded grasslands and savannas

You know there's no such thing as subtropical conifer let alone tropical. Their biology doesn't allow for them in warmer climates.

The more I read u on the topic, the more it becomes a question of throwing hands up in horror at the whole idea. Are we going to measure:

• Actual vegetation/land use? (in which case we also need an "urban" colour, as well as a riparian/wetlands one)
  • Natural vegetation (ie what it would be without human interference)?
  • Some kind of precipitation-temperature combination (which will be all kinds of hard work unless we just duplicate Koppen, in which case why make a "new" set of colours at all)
  • Something "simpler", such as the Holdridge classification (which doesn't allow for wetlands within its scheme).
  • Something completely different.

VT45

Banned
I was basing it on the WWF categories of ecoregions, so let’s go with natural vegetation