United States of the Americas and Oceania Version 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oi, Eurofed, do you think you could start compiling a version of this timeline on the Completed Timelines thread? That way we can have a completed version to look at, and people won't have to muck around in a 50+ page long thread just to find the updates.

Oi, Eurofed, do you think you could start compiling a version of this timeline on the Completed Timelines thread? That way we can have a completed version to look at, and people won't have to muck around in a 50+ page long thread just to find the updates.

Good suggestion.

And also Eurofed, where would be the next update? Still having no ideas to proceed? I understand. A lot of timelines I'm reading right now are bumping probably to some other commitments of the authors and some writer's block. So just take your time.

very interesting and good story, but like some have said, eurofed, you should put this story in the complete timelines threads or in the writters forum dividing in two threads one for the story,and the other for the coments. That way it will be fare more easy to find the updates .:)

very interesting and good story, but like some have said, eurofed, you should put this story in the complete timelines threads or in the writters forum dividing in two threads one for the story,and the other for the coments. That way it will be fare more easy to find the updates .:)

Dammit! I thought it was updated!

Eurofed

Banned
A little disclosure on the state of the TL:

As far as I'm concerned, I have not given up on this project, but it has been on indefinite hiatus of late, for various reasons: lack of time from RL committments, mild writer's block, and, most importantly, an erratically malfunctioning home laptop keyboard, which makes it quite unfeasible to write long documents on it. For various reasons, I have not yet come around to get my laptop fixed or replaced.

USAO is my most ambitious AH project to date, with the longest and most complex updates to research and write, and therefore it is the one that suffers the worst from the situation. In recent times, I only managed to write a few relatively short and simple AH scenarioes and make comments & contributions to other people's TLs by sneaking some time on office desktops or, for really short stuff, using screen keyboard software. For the USAO update, however, these stopgaps never turned up any practical. As a rule, every time of recent that I felt some stirrings of inspiration for it, the laptop malfunctioned again, or I had RL calls on my time, and I had to ignore them.

Again, however, this does not mean I have given up on the TL by any means.

Yeah I know how bad it is to write with a broken keyboard, once had one like that for a month was a pain in the rear tbh. Hell right now I am also using a very bad net connection at the very moment with a keyboard with semi-boken keys. I'll stick with this TL till the end, you can count on it!:cool:

Just out of curiosity, I did a terrible paint edit on the post-war map to see what contiguous German and Italian colonies look like, at the expense of Liberian and Egyptian aggrandizement in the Sahel. Check the results out for yourself, I think this version is much more aesthetically pleasing!

Liberia is well rewarded anyway and oughtn't complain much. As for Egypt, they might be more interested in Khuzestan and Persian Kurdistan.

USAO map.png

So, Eurofed, I was going through my subscriptions and trying to cull the inactive, when I came across this... Any chance you've been working on it? :eek:

So, Eurofed, I was going through my subscriptions and trying to cull the inactive, when I came across this... Any chance you've been working on it? :eek:

I'm also curious about this too. :eek:

And yeah, Eurofed, as what I've PM'd you before, you're one of my inspirations for my new timeline. :D

SUGGESTIONS

Hi. It's been a long time since I've come up in making suggestions here but I'm a bit concerned on some expansion of the US back then?

I'm a bit concerned about Bermuda being one of the places captured by the Americans in the alternate War of 1812. Can you just drop this off as well as Martinique and Guadeloupe in 1799 and just have them be taken by the US when it's going to win a more convincing war in the First World War decades later?

I'm on the opinion that I think the US Navy is still weak at 1798 (I read somewhere that it only has one warship back then, and it's still the Federalist era of OTL) and I don't think that's going to change or it could just add up two more warships in an alternate 1795 Naval Act but still, just gave those little islands to the British yet. The Americans capturing Cuba and Puerto Rico is already big for 1812, but add up British Bermuda? I think that's quite wankish for me in those years.

And I've read that the British expedition to Haiti in 1800 failed? The Americans didn't join them ah. That's good for me. We need an American Guyana for Bolivar to see 8 years later.

And you're an inspiration for the TL that I've made. I've PM'd you before if I can use characteristics of your TL for my TL where I could just give you credits for it via a link to here and I forgot if you respond to it. Just see it. There are differences from your TL, more on having Arnold and John Laurens alive rather than dead and Laurens brought America into an alternate path of expansion there, thanks to the early emancipation of slaves (though it's gradual).

Ok. :)

Eurofed

Banned
I'm a bit concerned about Bermuda being one of the places captured by the Americans in the alternate War of 1812. Can you just drop this off as well as Martinique and Guadeloupe in 1799 and just have them be taken by the US when it's going to win a more convincing war in the First World War decades later?

I see no serious difficulty about pushing US conquest of Bermuda from the War of 1812 to the First Great War. It is a butterfly of marginal importance. However, we also have to remind that the Americans almost conquered in OTL ARW, so a conquest in 1812-16 is far from outlandish; and US diplomats may well be able to win it at the peace table even if the USN doesn't conquer it.

The conquest of Martinique and Guadeloupe in 1798 is rather more important because a decisive US victory in the Franco-American war plays a substantial role in building up the event chain that leads to another decisive US victory in the War of 1812, US large-scale intervention in Latin America, and TTL USA developing a uber-Manifest Destiny complex.

I deem such a victory far from unlikely, however, since a well-prepared US is fighting in its backyard, while to France such a war is a marginal sideshow; they are deeply focused on the European conflict on land and the naval conflict with Britain on the sea. And even OTL America did fairly well in the Quasi-War.

I'm on the opinion that I think the US Navy is still weak at 1798 (I read somewhere that it only has one warship back then, and it's still the Federalist era of OTL) and I don't think that's going to change or it could just add up two more warships in an alternate 1795 Naval Act but still, just gave those little islands to the British yet. The Americans capturing Cuba and Puerto Rico is already big for 1812, but add up British Bermuda? I think that's quite wankish for me in those years.

Well, just remember that by 1812, the Americans have spent more than a decade building up their military far more than OTL, and as it concerns the Spanish colonies, they are working in fairly efficient cooperation with local revolutionaries.

And I've read that the British expedition to Haiti in 1800 failed? The Americans didn't join them ah. That's good for me. We need an American Guyana for Bolivar to see 8 years later.

Yes, it failed. US attitudes towards Haiti in late 1790s and early 1800s are... complex, since they are torn between sympathy towards a fellow post-revolutionary republic and Dixie dread of a successful slave revolt. Haiti is already de facto independent by then, which means the USA have little reason to help the British (or any other European colonial power) conquer it.

Status
Not open for further replies.