Anyone here who speaks Danish, Swedish or Norwegian? If so, could you help with place names. I'm trying my best using Google Translate, but they're probably not that good.
I am danish, pm me or just type here what you want translated, and i will get it done tomorrow.

Chapter 10: Nordic Colonization Up To 1600
Union of The Three Crowns: The History of The Nordic Empire

Chapter 10: Nordic Colonization Up To 1600

Now that the Livonian War is over, it’s time to turn my attention back to my favorite subject in alternate history, colonization. The Kalmar Union were the first European power to establish a permanent colony north of the Spanish conquests in Mesoamerica, and they would continue to expand their reach in the latter part of the 16th Century. The cradle of the new Nordic colonial empire was the island of Vinland, and settlement on the island would be expanded over the next several decades. With the richest fishing grounds being found on the southeastern shores of the island, most of the new settlements would be concentrated in that region. The settlements of Sølvhavn, Tostrømfjord, Hansvig and Robertsbugt were all founded between 1560 and 1600, attracting more Nordic fishermen and their families. They were also looking to expand to other parts of Vinland, too, with settlements being established on Brandø in the north and Mudderbugt in the south. In addition to the main settlements, various smaller fishing camps and outposts were set up around the Southeastern coast of Vinland, some of which would grow into legit settlements in their own right as time went on. Aside from fishing, the Vinlandic colonists were also beginning to herd livestock (sheep and cattle mainly) and even attempt to grow crops on the island, to varying levels of success.
The Kalmar Union weren’t the only ones looking at Vinland, though, as the Spanish, Portuguese, French and English were all fishing in the Grand Banks, some even attempting to found settlements on the island. King Hans and his yet to be named successor weren’t fans of other European powers establishing settlements on the island of Vinland. Fortunately for Hans, these settlements were either seasonal or short-lived, as the aforementioned powers weren’t as adept to the cold winters as the Scandinavians were. Between seasonal fishermen deciding to permanently settle in Vinland and a slow but steady trickle of colonists (mainly Icelandic and Norwegian) arriving each year, the permanent Nordic population in Vinland had grown to around 3,000 by 1600, with thousands more (both Nordic and from the other countries I mentioned) coming to Vinland each summer to fish, before returning home during the winter.
When it came to the Kalmar Union’s colonial ambitions, though, Vinland was only the starting off point. There had been a permanent Nordic colony on Vinland for a full generation by 1580, to the point where hundreds of colonists had been born in the colony rather than in the old world. With a self-sustaining population now present in Vinland, the elderly King Hans decided that it was time to establish a colony on the North American mainland. With the already established presence in the Northeast of the continent, particularly in and around the Vinland Sea, the new mainland colony would be located in that region. The Vinlandic Sea had already been well mapped by Nordic explorers by the Late 16th Century, so they generally knew their way around the place and would be able to figure out where they were.
Thus, early in 1582, the preparations for the colony officially began at the port of Bergen, which was quickly becoming the main colonial port for the Kalmar Union. Supplies were stocked, settlers recruited and plans made for the voyage to the New World. On March 20th, the trio of ships officially left the port of Bergen, headed for the New World. Manned with sailors who were experienced in transatlantic voyages, they took what had become the standard Nordic route to their North American holdings. Taking off, they sailed westward past the Shetlands and Faroes, after which they turned to the northwest towards Iceland. Upon reaching Iceland, they’d sail along the south coast to Grindavik, a coastal town that was quickly becoming a sizable (by Icelandic standards at least) trading port due to the increasing trans-atlantic trade. They’d pick up some more fresh water and extra food (mainly salted cod) and get a brief break from the sea before heading out again. The three ships went west towards Greenland, and upon seeing the gigantic ice sheets that made up the Greenlandic east coast, turned south to follow the coast. Once they reached the southern tip of the island, the hardest part of the voyage would commence: the open ocean voyage across the Markland Sea.
Fortunately for the colonists, the crew aboard the three ships were experienced seamen, many of whom had done this very voyage before. Thus, even with the storms and rough seas, the fleet was able to make it through without too much trouble, reaching Vinland after a week and a half. They’d briefly stop at Kristianshavn to make it known that there would be a new mainland colony, before leaving to complete the final stretch of the voyage. They’d round the southwestern end of the island, before sailing west along the southern shore. Finally, they turned southwards towards the mainland, landing on the northeastern shore of New Aland. They wouldn’t settle there, though, as they’d continue down the coast of the island, before coming across a large strait. Instead of sailing through it, they’d turn southward to see what lay there, and this is where they’d end up settling. At the end of a large bay lay a nice natural harbor, protected by sandbars but wide and deep enough for the ships to get through. In the harbor there were several hills that were suitable locations for a fort. The surrounding area was heavily forested, meaning that there’d be abundant materials to build with. The harbor was fed by a small river, which meant that fresh water was readily available. Finally, food could be acquired by hunting, fishing or buying fish from the Vinlanders. This was as good a place to settle as any, so they decided to end their voyage and officially settle down. Honoring the king, they named the settlement Kronehavn, or Crown Harbor.
With it being mid June by this point, the colonists would spend the summer building necessary infrastructure like a dock, a small fortification with a blockhouse and stockade and, of course, houses for the colonists. They’d also have to get food, not just to feed themselves now, but to survive the upcoming winter. The men who weren’t busy building infrastructure were out hunting and fishing, sometimes as far out as the Grand Banks. A total of 60 colonists left Bergen, of which two perished on the voyage. One child was born on the voyage, which meant that 59 colonists had arrived in the New World. Most of the colonists were young men, since they were needed to build up the colony. An area of the forest was cleared out for a town site, as well as some basic agriculture, which would start next year. Summer turned into fall, and the colonists were busy making their final preparations for the winter. The temperatures were getting colder and the days were getting shorter, but it was hoped that they’d done enough to make it through without much trouble. The first snow came in mid November, and snowfall became more regular in late November into December. The climate all in all proved to be quite similar to the Norwegian interior, where some of the colonists came from. The winter lasted from November through March, with the snowfall ending by the end of April. Of the 59 colonists who made it to Kronehavn, 12 perished in the first winter, meaning that 47 survived to see the spring of their first full year in the New World. While 1583 was spent largely continuing the colony-building tasks of the previous year, 1584 was the first year of sustained agriculture, and by 1590 the colony of Kronehavn had grown to 150 people between natural growth and further settlement.
With the success of the Kronehavn colony, the crown decided to found more colonies on the mainland around the Vinland Sea. In 1586, over 200 colonists were sent over to found two new settlements, one on the eastern shore of New Gotland called Samkok and one on the nearby mainland called Sprængsted. Both of these colonies were successful as well, and the Nordic crown would continue to establish colonies in the area in the coming years, such as Isbugt in New Aland and Knæksten further north on the mainland. This batch of settlers would notably include a few German families from the County of Oldenburg, who would be the first of thousands of Germans who would eventually settle in the Nordic colonies in North America and eventually elsewhere.
The most important colony to be founded before 1600, however, was at the very end of both the 16th Century and of the Vinland Sea. Knowing that the mouth of the river feeding into the Vinland Sea was a location of extreme importance that the French had attempted to colonize decades earlier, the yet-to-be-named Danish king (Hans will have died by this point) ordered a colony to be founded at the mouth of the river in 1598. A few hundred settlers from across the union were recruited to settle in this new colony, leaving the old world in February of 1599. Following the same route used by previous expeditions to the new world, they reached Iceland in early March and Vinland a month later. By late April, they were closing in on the target. Finally, at the beginning of May, they arrived at the place where the river met the Vinland Sea. At this site, the river narrowed before emptying into a sizable harbor, with a large island just downstream splitting the estuary in two for about 20 miles. The most notable thing about this site was the large promontory that rose sharply from the coast up to a maximum of 360 feet/110 meters. The defensibility of the location would make it the perfect location for a fortress in the future. There was also another, albeit much smaller river feeding into the estuary, which could provide an easy source for freshwater. The cliffs of the promontory were also lined with shiny stones that resembled diamonds. The settlers got very excited, but their enthusiasm would soon be curbed, as these turned out to be mere quartz. Despite this disappointment, this was still an excellent place to settle, all they needed now was a name. The natives of the area called this place Kebæk, or the place where the river narrows, which the settlers found to be a good enough name. Thus, on May 16th, 1599, the city of Kebæk was founded. Over the remainder of 1599, the colonists would clear land along the aforementioned, yet to be named smaller river for farms, gather food and supplies for the upcoming winter and begin the construction of a fort on top of the hill. Kebæk would later grow into one of the largest cities in the Nordic world, but for now it was but a small, fledgling outpost.
With the foundation of these colonies, the Kalmar Union had gotten a head start on the colonization of mainland North America compared to potential rivals like England and France, becoming the dominant power around the Grand Banks and Vinland Sea. By 1600, there were 5,000 Nordic colonists living in North America, including 2,000 on the continent’s mainland. These few thousand would in time come to number in the millions, but that is something for another time. Thank you to @Atterdag and @Lantern for helping out with the names. I was going to invite @Ulv01 into the conversation as well, but for some reason the site wouldn’t let me. I’ll get an update of EC/FC out next before I return to this, so hopefully this will suffice for the time being. I’ll see you guys next time.

1659551670737.gif

Map of Nordic colonies in North America in 1600

Great chapter
I have fixed the problem with inviting me to conversations so it should work now

Last edited:
Markland Hounds? I don't know. Dog breeds might look entirely different with a POD 500 years ago.

Maybe Marklanders?

I grew up in a rough area of town, animals on the loose everywhere, there was this big fat blond Marklander who used to prowl around the neighbourhood and take a dump on our lawn. Sometimes he used to bring his dog with him.

One more question, who would be a good wife for Hans? I know next to nothing about 16th Century dynastic politics, so I'm not aware of any potential matches. The only requirement I have is that the wife will have to be Protestant. This may be the only time I have to ask this, since the butterfly effect will eventually change the family trees of Europe's nobility to be unrecognizable.

One more question, who would be a good wife for Hans? I know next to nothing about 16th Century dynastic politics, so I'm not aware of any potential matches. The only requirement I have is that the wife will have to be Protestant.
When are you thinking he got/is getting married? During Christian II’s reign or after it? Seeing as how the last chapter stretched to 1600 and I imagine he’s getting married a little earlier than that.