Una diferente ‘Plus Ultra’ - the Avís-Trastámara Kings of All Spain and the Indies (Updated 11/7)

It'd be interesting if Spain kinda develops a triple capital system at Lisbon, Toledo and Barcelona. You could have a grand road connecting these cities, which would also connect Iberia from east to west.
Also, given the Iberian geography and the very different kingdoms that he is ruling that the King would hold court in each of the cities/kingdoms, perhaps on a biannual basis and/or when the situation would require to do so... While leaving Toledo as the historical Iberian Royal capital city, where the kings would crown and would be addressed, issues that'd be common to the whole kingdom...
Given that, I tend to think that it would make sense administratively and politically allowing to focus and not only a better management of the different economies and politico-military/naval issues either from the Mediterranean-N. African issues or from the Atlantic /America and 'Orient' /Philippines/'Insulindia' issues. But, also, to know better and addressing their respective and different internal possible policy issues.

Barcelona is too far from Toledo and uncomfortably near to France. For a capital in Aragón, Zaragoza looks a better choice.
Zaragoza is not connected to the Mediterranean, if proximity to France is a problem, we could choose Valencia. But I'm not sure how important is compared to Barcelona right now.

I don't see an imperative need to have a capital in the Mediterranean. Lisbon is a different story, of course, but for Aragón, Zaragoza is nearer to the other two and easier to connect than either Barcelona and Valencia.
For a naval Mediterranean base, the best option is Cartagena. The biggest threat there is the Barbary corsairs.

I don't see an imperative need to have a capital in the Mediterranean. Lisbon is a different story, of course, but for Aragón, Zaragoza is nearer to the other two and easier to connect than either Barcelona and Valencia.
For a naval Mediterranean base, the best option is Cartagena. The biggest threat there is the Barbary corsairs.
With the importance of connecting to North Africa and Southern Italy (along with the Mediterranean isles) I do think there's some benefit to having a coastal capital in the med.

It'd be interesting if Spain kinda develops a triple capital system at Lisbon, Toledo and Barcelona. You could have a grand road connecting these cities, which would also connect Iberia from east to west.
... but isn't this what they have right now?

Don't remember now if Miguel or Juan built a road project connecting most of the southern iberian peninsula (including those cities) and the Spanish Kings have been ruling by a three court system (centered mostly around those cities).

I think both IOTL and ITTL in those years Barcelona had already been largely left behind by Valencia as an economic hub and Mediterranean port.

Like the Catholic Monarchs, the Spanish monarchy is still itinerant, slowly traipsing across the breadth of Iberia to move where needed or sometimes wherever the Spanish monarch wishes to travel.
I kinda like the precedent this is giving. I can easily see the Spanish Colonies having problems and the Kings going to the new world to fix it.

Maybe have one be the executive capital, one be the legislative capital, and one be the judicial capital.

If the Royal Family must have a palace of their own as a meeting point for the nobility and the ambassadors we can consider the Royal Palace of Aranjuez, near Toledo.
If you add a navigable channel between Lisbon and Aranjuez, a project many times proposed and always stopped due to the several bankruptcies of the Spanish treasury over its history, you can keep longer the iberian concept of an itinerant court, even if centered mainly around the Tagus River.
Here an example of one of the last projects (1909): from Madrid to Lisbon

00006474200.jpg

Lisboa being too important in Iberia worries me a bit because it could be the best city in the empire, however the possibility of an earthquake being as devastating as the one in 1775 could lead to a worse recovery of the state. Plus if there's more art and arquitecture in the city along with more historical documents, most of it would be lost.

Tbh, and while the there is some merit to have the capital divided (mostly not anger the other two kingdoms where that capital wouldn't be) at some point there needs to be a focal point for the ever-expanding government and its institutions to function. It can be fairly de-centralize true, the distribution of EU institution among its members could be a good template, but a "capital" de facto if not de juris is needed in the long term (We already see some of it with Sevilla and the Casa de la Contratacion being the American stuff capital). The executive at least, with all the archives and papers it accumulates that shouldn't be moving to much, the infrastructure that is simply cheaper to put it in one place than trying to have multiple locations, so I would recommend to put it in one place.

To me at least, it seem that there are two locations that are above all others, Toledo and Lisboa. And while I might prefer slightly Lisboa, the two are the less bad options.

-Toledo, Pros; centrally located in the middle of Iberia, symbolic capital of the Visigoths, already kinda of the spiritual capital of the dynasty where they crowned themselves, it make sense that the largest kingdom and the one who bear the brunt of responsibilities on its defence should have it (Or Castilians would see as an insult to choose others and as the largest constituency simply make sense to appease them) and as is inland, is defended from British or Muslim raids.
Cons; is inland and thus somewhat disconnected from Iberian possessions overseas and global trade, throw fuel to the fire of Castilian domination in Portuguese and Aragonese minds to which the symbolic and shared connotations of the old Visigothic capital would mean little (tho little is more than nothing, in comparison to other city like Madrid or Seville)

-Lisboa, Pros; great port city connected to trade and the empire, is some way still the origin of the dynasty as Miguel de la Paz was fundamentally a Portuguese educated mostly in Lisboa and thus not that out of character, but mostly it placates Portuguse anxieties of Castilian domination while at the same time keeping them at a tight lease (Keep your friends close, your enemies closer).
Cons; Castilians would be furious, not good when they are the largest tax and manpower base, with "We saved their empire with Castilian money and soldiers only for them to end up with the capital?!" aplenty. The Aragonese won't be please too, as being in Lisboa is the opposite side of the peninsula and from the Mediterranean where their interest lay. Also vulnerable to raids and invasion by sea and not a centric position on Iberia

Edit; Barcelona is a great city, but terribly close to the French border and even less centric than Lisboa + Portuguese independence is currently stronger and more problematic than the Catalan one.

With the relevance of the Mediterranean, Italy, and northern Africa for this Spain, alongside their massive and growing colonial empire in the Americas and East Indies, I'm thinking Córdoba or Seville make the most sense as cities well-positioned to be responsive to the traffic of all maritime endeavors.

Would it be possible for the viceroyalties to be forced to treat their subjects (mostly) equally just as they would in Iberia? It may go a long way towards avoiding the resentment towards the crown by the people and even ruling class

Would it be possible for the viceroyalties to be forced to treat their subjects (mostly) equally just as they would in Iberia? It may go a long way towards avoiding the resentment towards the crown by the people and even ruling class
The Crown will have to enforce that. I'd say a most certainly easy step is to ensure there is no differentiation between Peninsulares and Creoles (which is so mind numbingly dumb). Maybe even the Mestizos as well. But as for the natives and African slaves? Unlikely.

I could see the mestizos being possible, and the creoles should be easy. So long as they have the support of these groups I see a anti Spanish revolution as being unlikely till the 1900’s, by which point more reforms can (hopefully) be enacted to reinforce the empire

The third capital would most likely be Valencia and not Barcelona. It is easier to access coming from Toledo and Lisboa (you don't have to cross the Iberian System, only either the Cabriel Canyon or the Almansa pass), has a large amount of flatland around to cultivate, includig the large royal hunting reserve of the Albufera for the monarch's spare time; it has a better natural harbour and had more maritime traffic than Barcelona since the 15th century (the period the TL is in is the tail-end of the OTL Valencian golden age after all); and with a Western Mediterranean free of piracy the Mediterranean coast would be much safer to settle and trade from, as there would be almost none of the piracy that hampered settlement IOTL.

Another point in Valencia's favor is that according to this image of the spanish road system from this timeline:

There is a direct road from Lisboa-Toledo-Valencia, but no direct rout to Barcelona. In fact to get to Barcelona, you have to get through Valencia in the first place!

With the Mediterranean a much safer place for Spain, the coast much less ravaged, it seems unlikely Barcelona will surpass Valencia ITTL.