Tsarina Sophia of Russia

Tsar Alexis I of Russia had two wives, Maria Miloslavskaya and Nataliya Naryshkina.
In this scenario, Alexis has only the first wife Maria and only one daughter, Sophia (Sofia) Alexeevna (Alekseyevna).
Sophia shall become Tsarina upon her father's demise in 1676. What kind of ruler will she be?

Not going to happen. Female line succession was introduced out of desperation/not wanting Time of Troubles 2.0 so soon, since, for example, there was a living female main line Rurikid when Feodor I kicked the bucket (Dowager Queen of Livonia, who actually lived till early reign of Michael I IIRC), but Godunov became the Tsar. In such a situation (failure of Ms Miloslavskaya to produce male heir) Alexis I simply divorses her and remarries.

Last edited:
Not going to happen. Female line succession was introduced out of desperation/not wanting Time of Troubles 2.0 so soon, since, for example, there was a living female main line Rurikid when Feodor I kicked the bucket (Dowager Queen of Livonia, who actually lived till early reign of Michael I IIRC), but Godunov became the Tsar. In such a situation (failure of Ms Miloslavskaya to produce male heir) Alexis I simply divorses her and remarries.

It would've definitely been quite interesting if the king of Livonia had left male issue. Probably not helpful, I suppose, a Danish prince who's also the best claimant to the Ruriks throne. More fun would've been if his older daughter Marie (who lived until the age of 17) had married and had kids. Though I'm guessing if Russia didn't like getting a czarina, they weren't big on the idea of a foreign female-line ruler.

Although, not to derail the thread, Sofia's reign probably progresses much like her regency for her brothers. After all, by her regency she basically set the trend for Russia's petticoat government of the 18th century.

It would've definitely been quite interesting if the king of Livonia had left male issue. Probably not helpful, I suppose, a Danish prince who's also the best claimant to the Ruriks throne. More fun would've been if his older daughter Marie (who lived until the age of 17) had married and had kids. Though I'm guessing if Russia didn't like getting a czarina, they weren't big on the idea of a foreign female-line ruler.

Although, not to derail the thread, Sofia's reign probably progresses much like her regency for her brothers. After all, by her regency she basically set the trend for Russia's petticoat government of the 18th century.

IRRC the situation with Livonian Dowager was also confounded by the fact that Godunov saw her as competition, as whoever becomes her second spouse easily throws him away on the basis of descent from Sophia Palaiologina.
Though in fact there is an idea of a "Legitimize Godunovs" TL - WI the wife of Boris Godunov does not survive the birth of Tsarevna Xenia and Boris & Livonian Dowager end up widowed at the same time?
That's a BIG opportunity for Boris to legitimize his rule, as his wife is a Rurikid by birth and closest paternal blood relation of the late Feodor I - so he has some more support to his claim and maybe manages to thrive as much as objective factors behind Time of Troubles remain?

In OTL, during his brief reign, many historians argue that Tsar Feodor III actually 'ruled under the protectorate of Sophia his sister.'
Using the education and political savvy she acquired by Feodor's side, she convinced the nobles and patriarchs of her capabilities to rule Russia.