True repentant Nazi or Wehrmacht leaders?

Were there Nazi personel or Wehrmacht people who were truly repentant and open about their personal guilt in crimes. I'm fascinated by Hitoshi Imamura and i was wondering if there were any equivalent persons in Europe.
Speer is out for obvious reasons. So are any propagators of the clean Wehrmacht myth.

Only God knows what's truly in somebody's heart.

Since there was no way to be unapologetic and still be part of respectable society, all expressions of regret must be taken with a grain of salt.

Were there Nazi personel or Wehrmacht people who were truly repentant and open about their personal guilt in crimes. I'm fascinated by Hitoshi Imamura and i was wondering if there were any equivalent persons in Europe.
Speer is out for obvious reasons. So are any propagators of the clean Wehrmacht myth.
Given the number of individuals involved in war crime at all levels, I'd happily to assume there must have been some who were truly repentant. But as Don Corleone says it impossible to be 100% sure and there are reasons to fake it. So while I still believe the first part in general, I would struggle to apply it to individuals I didn't know very well for a long time (and even then).

Last edited:
Only God knows what's truly in somebody's heart.

Since there was no way to be unapologetic and still be part of respectable society, all expressions of regret must be taken with a grain of salt.
First sentence absolutely true. Second sentence half true. The attitude in Germany in the 50's was half-hearted apologetic and that was no hindrance to be part of society. Admitting own faults would go against the norm then.

There are IMO indications of sincere regrets, like the action of Imamura or clear self-incrimination.

Given the number of individuals involved in war crime at all levels, I'd happily to assume there must have been some who were truly repentant. But as Don Corleone says it impossible to be 100% sure and there are reasons to fake it. So while I still believe the first part in general, I would struggle to apply it to individuals I didn't know very well for a long time (and even then).
who is Don Corleone?
The godfather?

The closest person to that is not Albert Speer, who got called shit like the “Good Nazi” back in the day. Frederick Wilhelm Kritzinger (a Staatsekretare of the Reich Chancellery) expressed, what judges thought was, sincere contrition regarding the Holocaust and had attempted to resign his position after attending the Wannsee conference.

Though Kritzinger ended up staying, his bosses saying he was too valuable for the service to let go. But being sad you did something doesn't exactly show much regarding repentance. Most of them knew what they were up to was completely immoral, it’s why they had to come up with Wannsee's rouse and speak so euphemistically about everything.

Last edited:
People at the time simply didn't think that way
Yeah, people in those years had a totally different mindset. And people now usually like to give crap to the "I was just following orders" mentality, but it was even more true at that time.
It reminds me of the Peter Jackson's documentary "They Shall Not Grow Old", where the British soldiers narrate they had some German acquaintances, or even German friends, yet they chose to fight in the war because "It was the right thing to do" or because it was "just another job" for them, or even because they were "thirsty" for having new, different adventures.

Yeah, people in those years had a totally different mindset. And people now usually like to give crap to the "I was just following orders" mentality, but it was even more true at that time.
It reminds me of the Peter Jackson's documentary "They Shall Not Grow Old", where the British soldiers narrate they had some German acquaintances, or even German friends, yet they chose to fight in the war because "It was the right thing to do" or because it was "just another job" for them, or even because they were "thirsty" for having new, different adventures.
So what you're saying is that they shouldn't have fought the Nazis because they knew some Germans?

So what you're saying is that they shouldn't have fought the Nazis because they knew some Germans?
No he's showing that the motivations to fight for those soldiers were different from what you would expect. They were very much fighting a war out of nationalistic motives, not entirely because why we think they fought the good fight (Sure Nazi Germany was a conquering nation, but their evil went beyond that). But that isn't so odd, because we have the hindsight of the total picture, which they hadn't.

Would Field Marshall Friedrich von Paulus qualify?

This below series I found on YouTube (5-parts on the Suzdal camp and Paulus's post-Stalingrad experiences) seems to indicate he was genuinely remorseful, He also fully adopted the East German line on the war. That being said, he basically had to do these things to survive (and was "interviewed" by his captors) so there is an aspect of "we'll truly never know". He may have pulled a Speer, to pull a phrase.

In his memoirs, he skirts the line of "just following orders" saying that his mentality was as such, but it shouldn't have been. Does this count as remorse? Maybe? I don't have a reason to defend the man but this seems it would qualify.

Perhaps if a formal "Free German Legion" of soviet forces made from German POWs occured, lead by Paulus, he would be considered genuinely remorseful in that TLs post-war environment? That's an interesting alt-hist in itself.

Last edited:
No he's showing that the motivations to fight for those soldiers were different from what you would expect. They were very much fighting a war out of nationalistic motives, not entirely because why we think they fought the good fight (Sure Nazi Germany was a conquering nation, but their evil went beyond that). But that isn't so odd, because we have the hindsight of the total picture, which they hadn't.
Wrong World War.

Peter Jacksons excellent documentary was about the First World War.

No Nazis yet. A complex stew of motivation, 'To do your bit', empire loyalty, propaganda fuelled anger at the 'Beastly Hun', and yes, adventure with the chance to get away from a dull parentally controlled life.

I think Spike Milligan, for his part in Adolf Hitlers downfall, reflected that he would not have had the creative opportunities that his soldiering career led to. (Would have been better off without the Italy induced PTSD of course.) His civilian existence being a dull nine to five at Woolwich Arsenal, watching the clock waiting for the end of the day, folding up greaseproof paper to re-use for tomorrow's sandwiches.

Of the Wehrmacht, I believe there were none. I myself cannot name a single Wehrmacht general of significant rank who chose to speak out against Halder's arranged narrative of the Clean Wehrmacht, which shifted the blame of the genocidal war the German Army, Air Force, and Navy very willingly fought from 1939-45 entirely onto the SS and Party Officials (although he even extended the sanitization to certain Waffen-SS Divisions and Officers as well).

Peter Jacksons excellent documentary was about the First World War.
True Doh on my side. I knew this. Although slightly in my defense, it might have still have been true for some (although perhaps less) in the 2nd war, that they personally knew Germans.

Would Field Marshall Friedrich von Paulus qualify?

This below series I found on YouTube (5-parts on the Suzdal camp and Paulus's post-Stalingrad experiences) seems to indicate he was genuinely remorseful, He also fully adopted the East German line on the war. That being said, he basically had to do these things to survive (and was "interviewed" by his captors) so there is an aspect of "we'll truly never know". He may have pulled a Speer, to pull a phrase.

In his memoirs, he skirts the line of "just following orders" saying that his mentality was as such, but it shouldn't have been. Does this count as remorse? Maybe? I don't have a reason to defend the man but this seems it would qualify.

Perhaps if a formal "Free German Legion" of soviet forces made from German POWs occured, lead by Paulus, he would be considered genuinely remorseful in that TLs post-war environment? That's an interesting alt-hist in itself.

Reading his wikipage on post WW2 activities, i'm not really convinced he fits the bill. It seems his main criticism on Nazi-Germany is that they lead the country in a war they lost and thus divided Germany. He seems to be like his friend Guderian a proponent of the clean Wehrmacht myth. It would show repentance, when he would have talked about the Einsatzgruppen.

If imamura was so guilt ridden there are plenty of shark infested waters around Japan