Trek Goes AH

Can be dangerous to limit your audience like that. Star Trek fans are a minority of readers, and the number of Star Trek fans who might enjoy a what-if story are even less than that.

Can be dangerous to limit your audience like that. Star Trek fans are a minority of readers, and the number of Star Trek fans who might enjoy a what-if story are even less than that.
Oh, I don't know about that. The sort of person who'd buy a book like that is probably someone who has a pretty good handle on the minuate of the Star Trek chronology, so they'd probably enjoy it. Besides, if the recent Mirror Universe anthologies (now Shatner-free!) did well, there's probably enough of a market to support this book as well.

Oh, I don't know about that. The sort of person who'd buy a book like that is probably someone who has a pretty good handle on the minuate of the Star Trek chronology, so they'd probably enjoy it. Besides, if the recent Mirror Universe anthologies (now Shatner-free!) did well, there's probably enough of a market to support this book as well.

Probably. Alternate versions of comic book series tend to do well, and some of the most popular Futurama episodes were the alternate universe ones.

I've just done some browsing, and it looks like that there will be two books released in July and August, each containing three novellas.

A basic plot summary of the first three stories can be found here, while the second three are listed here.

Personally, that second collection looks really interesting, although I'm disappointed that there won't be any stories set in the ever-popular Cowboy Universe.

I've been looking forward to these particular Trekverse novels. The authors should have a lot more freedom, plot- and character-wise, than they would with a novel set in the standard, ho-hum universe.

RealityBYTES

I've been looking forward to these particular Trekverse novels. The authors should have a lot more freedom, plot- and character-wise, than they would with a novel set in the standard, ho-hum universe.

RealityBYTES
Well, the regular novels have gained a great deal more freedom since DS9 went off the air, but this series does go even farther. With the Voyager story, "Places of Exile," it seems that the writers are treading on ground that the show never really bothered exploring.

Trekmovie,com has started putting up excerpts from the next upcoming volume, Echoes and Refractions. I was particularly taken with the excerpt from the story "The Chimes of Midnight," which was set in a universe where Spock died during childhood, and the first officer of the Enterprise is an Andorian named Thelin (IIRC, the POD is actually from an episode of the animated original series). Anyway, this story is set during the first six movies, and...let's just say that by the end I was constantly muttering "ohfuckohfuckohfuck" to myself.

I've got a copy of the first novel and am currently 30 or so pages into the first tale, the one where Terra Prime succeeded in keeping Earth isolationist ...

RealityBYTES

Personally, that second collection looks really interesting, although I'm disappointed that there won't be any stories set in the ever-popular Cowboy Universe.
"North Dakota... the final frontier. There are the voyages of the Conestoga Wagon Enterprise, whose ongoing mission is to seek gold and new viens of ore, and to boldly go where no prospector has gone before!"

Well, I finished the three novellas and, I must say, all three were decent reads.

"Places of Exile" turned out to be the most detailed one, IMO, while "Seeds of Dissent," in some places, almost had Drakaverse qualities to it (and I mean that in a good way). "A Less Perfect Union" ended up being a nice, light read, compared to the other two novellas.

I'll definitely be picking up the second "Myriad Universes" book when it comes out ...

RealityBYTES

It might not be as small an audience as you think. Quite a few ST episodes explore alternate timelines - not only the mirror universe - and some of those are amongst the most popular. A good example of this would be The City on the Edge of Forever.

Cheers,
Nigel.

I got Echoes and Refractions this past Thursday, and man is it nuts. It might be a little easier for casual fans of Trek to get into, as all the PODs are based solidly within the movie/TNG period. I was just blown away by the second story, “A Gutted World,” which postulates a TL where the Cardassians discovered the Bajoran wormhole about a year before they withdrew from Bajor in OSTTL, and consequently made friends with the friendly liquid people who live on the other side with their endless armies of cloned killing machines. By 2373, the Federation-Klingon alliance is fighting the Romulans, the Cardassians have invaded the Federation, and the Founders are manipulating all four sides to destroy each other and pave the way for a Dominion invasion. Oh, and the story also accomplishes the rare feat of killing just about everyone who has ever had a starring role in a TNG-era television or novel series. It’s just wild.

Well, book one finally arrived in the UK (without succumbing to the lures of amazon).

A Less Perfect Union - Reminded me of Turtledove to a large extent - too much focus on the characters and not enough of what was happening in the background. Even without Earth in the Interplanetary Coalition, who's not to say that there wasn't any general war with the Romulans or anything like that. Personally, I would have expected there to be more Section 31 type exploits in the book if Earth goes it alone after the Terra Prime incident. I did like the explanation of future politics.

Places of Exile - Bit of a Voyager-w*nk novel with the author just desperate to go pairing up the obvious couples. Some nice touches in places for those paying attention.

Seeds of Dissent - This is what I didn't want to see in an alternative Trek history. Complete divergence in the timeline and a slow bringing back to what should have happened. I know there's the Quark "the more things change, the more they stay the same" line to consider but geez, use imaginations a bit more. Definitely the weakest of the trio.

Overall? Worth a read I guess but I'm hoping that the second volume will be much stronger.