Top Technology Pre-1900

hey, all. this should probably go in ASB instead but i think putting it here will spur more productive discussion. this thought just occurred to me as something to determine for a non-AH project of mine. in the world in question, i'd long considered that mainly the highest level of technology ITTL is roughly equivalent to that of the turn of the 20th century, including early combustion engines and airships, with a provision where some alternate technology is based on the inventions of Leonardo da Vinci and Nikola Tesla (and maybe Archimedes as well) to try and mix things up a bit. anyway, i thought it might be better to gauge some outside opinions on what everyone thinks could be the absolute most-advanced technology using any POD you like as long as it's before 1900 AD--you can go back to the Stone Age if you want and take hypothetical technologies or ones whose purpose is not fully known such as the Antikythera mechanism or Baghdad battery.

to start us off, one that occurred to me with just the earlier specs is earlier hang gliders based on Da Vinci's flying machine

aaaaand go!

i don't know if i understand you correctly,but if you put the POD enough in the past,by 1900 the technology might be far beyond our current.

Veiovis is right, if electricity is discovered 5,000 years ago, the world would be hundreds, maybe even thousands of years more advanced than today.

well i mainly mean by plausible technology and what's known from the historical record, but yeah ;) i just want to get ideas, basically

Veiovis is right, if electricity is discovered 5,000 years ago, the world would be hundreds, maybe even thousands of years more advanced than today.
I am not so sure. The steam engine was first created in 1st century Egypt / Greece, yet it was not until the 1700's that metallurgy had reached a point where safe mass production made the use of steam a viable solution.

It may be the same for electricity. Glass working and metallurgy would need to jump forward for electric lights for instance.

I am sorry to say that the POD would probably need to have a "electric weapon" to have any chance of success, otherwise it is just making frogs legs twitch.

I am not so sure. The steam engine was first created in 1st century Egypt / Greece, yet it was not until the 1700's that metallurgy had reached a point where safe mass production made the use of steam a viable solution.

It may be the same for electricity. Glass working and metallurgy would need to jump forward for electric lights for instance.

I am sorry to say that the POD would probably need to have a "electric weapon" to have any chance of success, otherwise it is just making frogs legs twitch.

Look at what agriculture brought, if we didn't invent it we would still be using stone weaponry and hunting animals to extinction like we are now, the Baghdad Battery, if expanded upon more if a ruler deemed them important, could lead to electricity being discovered far earlier than OTL and as a result would make other advanced technologies appear.

Baghdad Battery seems like a technological dead-end.

I'll stick to my usual argument that better medical science gets you better tech earlier (of course, a lot is determined based on the political situation, i.e. Mongols, etc.) than something like the Baghdad Battery, Antikythera device, or most of what Leonardo designed. And there just so happens to be things that could really help. If people had figured an early treatment for scurvy (plenty exist) and, most importanly, consistenly applied it, the hundreds of thousands who died of it would not have died. Increasing the profitability of trade and thus tech. Early vaccination, too, for instance. Or perhaps doctors routinely washing their hands and tools if they're able to. Germ theory being developed far earlier. Even penicillin! It's really a shame that things so mundane are also the most likely drivers for advancing technology "ahead" of time.

But for the really exotic-looking tech, have a Chinese or Roman industrial revolution. You get similar stuff to what we have now, far earlier, and quite likely far more exotic looking.

Baghdad Battery seems like a technological dead-end.

I'll stick to my usual argument that better medical science gets you better tech earlier (of course, a lot is determined based on the political situation, i.e. Mongols, etc.) than something like the Baghdad Battery, Antikythera device, or most of what Leonardo designed. And there just so happens to be things that could really help. If people had figured an early treatment for scurvy (plenty exist) and, most importanly, consistenly applied it, the hundreds of thousands who died of it would not have died. Increasing the profitability of trade and thus tech. Early vaccination, too, for instance. Or perhaps doctors routinely washing their hands and tools if they're able to. Germ theory being developed far earlier. Even penicillin! It's really a shame that things so mundane are also the most likely drivers for advancing technology "ahead" of time.

But for the really exotic-looking tech, have a Chinese or Roman industrial revolution. You get similar stuff to what we have now, far earlier, and quite likely far more exotic looking.

Chinese industrial revolution is more likely in my opinion.

The easiest possible game changer by far would should be the discovery of black powder. There are several threads dealing with this idea however so lets look at PODs for public health improvements.

1. Scurvy Treatment
The easiest way to achieve this would probably be to make Sauerkraut a staple diet like Kimchi is in Korea.

2. Vaccination/Inoculation
Yep, pretty much doable at any time.

3. Germ theory
Maybe the invention of a simple microscope might help. Both, a water drop or glass beat microscope should be doable fairly early. Convincing people that germs a thread might be (slightly) easier if they can be seen.
http://bizarrelabs.com/micro.htm
http://micro.sci-toys.com/waterdrop

4. Xylem/Wood Water Filter

If you want to go really early there might be a path to an ice age water filter.
“Birch bark tar has been used in northern Europe as a superior mastic as far back as 80,000 years. It was found on a Neanderthal spear point, with a thumb print. Pieces of chewed birch bark tar with human teeth marks go back as far as 11,000 year...” It was manufactured to build stuff, but also had some health benefit.
http://www.primitiveways.com/birch_bark_tar.html

Producing safer drinking water using plant xylem April 8, 2014 / Sarah Shailes

The World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates that 1.6 million people die each year from rom gastrointestinal diseases caused by a lack of clean water (1). The biggest threats from unclean water are infectious diseases caused by bacteria (e.g. cholera), viruses (e.g. hepatitis), protozoa (e.g. giardiasis) or parasites (e.g.schistosomiasis). In developed countries we often take clean water for granted, relying on various technologies including chlorination, boiling, pasteurisation, UV-disinfection or filtration to make our water safe. However, in less developed countries, especially in small rural communities, these technologies are often too expensive or impractical. In a paper published recently in PLOS ONE, the authors explore the use of plant xylem vessels, which are found in the stems of plants, as inexpensive water filters.

Xylem vessels are tubes that carry water (and some nutrients) from the roots of plants to the stems. The vessels themselves are made up of cells that die as they mature leaving a strengthened cell wall with pores called pits in their sides . Groups of parallel vessels are arranged together so that water flows between the parallel tubes through the pits . The size of the pits of xylem vessels vary from a few nanometers to hundreds of nanometers, just the right kind of size to potentially filter out disease-causing microbes. Flow of water through xylem vessels of conifers (gymnosperms) and flowering plants (angiosperms).

The xylem vessal cells of conifers are smaller in diameter and shorter than those of flowering plants. Although this makes them less efficient at transporting sap, it also makes conifer stems more ideal for filtration because the water is forced to pass through the pits more often (more filter points) so a shorter length of stem is needed. Also, xylem vessels make up a greater cross-section of a conifer stem, which is useful for a filter material. The authors tested the filtering capability of short lengths of pine stem. They found that several litres of water could flow through 3 cm3 of pine stem per day . This is enough to meet the clean drinking water needs of one person.

The xylem filters were efficient at filtering out bacteria. The pits in the xylem of the pine stem are too large to filter out viruses from the water but it is possible that stems from other plant species with smaller xylem pits, such as deciduous trees might be more suitable for this. Since all that is required to make the filter is a tube, a suitably sized plant stem, and a way of sealing the connection, xylem water filters could be cheaply made and maintained by individuals. Therefore, plant stems have the potential to be used as inexpensive, small-scale water filters.”

Have some shaman come up with the idea that trees healing properties might be easier to harvest by filtering water trough them and additionally clean up muddy, bad tasting water. Bahm, stone age health revolution ;-).

Chinese industrial revolution is more likely in my opinion.

In my timeleline Ex Oriente Lux, I explored this idea a bit. I did indeed get a different looking path torwards industrialization than OTL.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/ex-oriente-lux-an-industrialized-china.320463/

Your project discription also reminded me a bit of "Cliveless World". Lots of interesting stuff like earlier and more prominent use of Fluidics for computing, giving the world an exotic touch.

http://www.clockworksky.net/cliveless_world/ah_cliveless_top.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluidics

Last edited: