TLIAW: La Revolućion Vive!

La Revolućion Vive!

S0wkaxz.jpg

What is this?

It's a TLIAW; unclear as to whether or not the 'W' stand for 'while' or 'week'.

But what about Fear Not the Revolution, Habibi?

It's coming.

Give me time. And space.

And what's this about anyway? Spanish Civil War?

I don't roll with that era. Too depressing. This is about Central America.

What about Central America? Nothing ever happens there.

You'll see. As you can tell, it involves Revolution. And jungle-fighting. Maybe everyone's favourite Secretary of Defence/evil dictator too.

And the Spanish Civil is too depressing for you?

...You'll see. Also, many thanks to othyrsyde for the help!

Last edited:
Oooooooooohhhhhhh

Yup.

All these non traditional short TLs recently are making me all happy!:)

This will be interesting.

Good! This will be somewhere between a normal TL and TLIAD length, and won't be entirely narrative. I won't subject you all to my terrible dialogue-writing skills for an entire timeline.

And yes, yes it will.

Oh this will he fun.

Define 'fun'.

Ooooh, Central American TLs are a rare and valuable thing.

Thus why I'm going for this. The idea has been kicking around my head for a while.

Also! I forgot to mention in the OP (which I'll edit). Many thanks to othyrsyde for listening to my ideas and helping me out with some areas, particularly Guatemala!

PrfYXHb.jpg

It was two days before Christmas, and the city was bustling. Mostly low and flat, hugging the southern shore of one of the nation’s great freshwater lakes, Managua was at once the vibrant center of a nation and little more than an overgrown town. There were two skyscrapers, fancy restaurants, half a dozen international banks, and paved roads, but the city stunk. Lake Xolotlan, once drinkable, was polluted and toxic. One could say the same about Nicaragua as a whole since Tacho rose to power.

As any man on the street in any neighbourhood could tell you, the city was changing.
Campesinos from the interior and even indios from the Mosquito Coast arrived every day, looking for work and a place to sleep. The government might tax the people and sell their land to cronies of the President –no, only the ‘Commander of the National Guard’ now- for cheap, but they wouldn’t lift a finger to help the people streaming into the barrios.

Well, you might hear that part, but not from just anyone. Not every man on the street was foolhardy enough to tell a stranger what he really though of Tachito. You’d have to go to one of Father Molina’s meetings in Barrio El Riguero or San Pablo Apóstol for criticism like that. Or, you could run off to the jungle to fight with the lunatics who called themselves ‘Sandinistas’. Sandino was dead, people said, gunned down by the gringos and Nicaragua’s great –and deceased– protector and president, Anastasio Somoza García.

During the holidays though, politics could be pushed aside. There were midnight masses to attend (or not), piles of food to eat and endless gallons of whatever one could afford to drink, fights with distant relatives and stolen kisses between lovers when no one was watching. Just for a couple of days, the disorder of daily life in the putrid, gilded mess of Managua might be normal.

At 12:28 AM, the city was in bed. While some places never seemed to sleep, for most Managuans an early bedtime was in order. There was hard, often backbreaking work to do, and the city became unbearably hot once the sun had time to work its magic. The only people awake past midnight, even in the holiday season, were scoundrels, idiots and the odd revolutionary here or there.

The clock ticked in the National Palace, and the minute hand changed. The sound echoed through the opulent halls of the presidential residence. 12:29 AM. Seconds passed. Then, far away, miles below the Pacific coastline, something shifted. The plates of the earth, groaning and straining against each other, made a tiny jump.

Tiny, of course, by the standards of the earth. For the people of the sleeping city nearby, the shift was not so small.

fZhoIpH.jpg

Anastasio Somoza Debayle, President of Nicaragua (5 December 1925 – 5 December 1972)

“The Managua Earthquake of December 23, 1972 was one of the most devastating natural disasters in Central American history. It had a magnitude of 6.2, with the epicenter 28 kilometers northeast of the city center, and a depth of about 5 kilometers. Within an hour after the initial shock, two aftershocks -one of magnitude 5.0 and the other 5.2- occurred. The earthquake caused widespread casualties among Managua's residents: 8,000 people were killed, 25,000 were injured and over a quarter of a million were left homeless. More than two-thirds of the city’s inhabitants were displaced for a significant period of time. The city’s infrastructure was wrecked, particularly power, water and sewage networks.

Of the losses though, one death was particularly important. Lacerated by falling glass from a shattered window, Anastasio Somoza Debayle -former President, current Commander of the National Guard and strongman of Nicaragua- was rushed to a military hospital amidst the fragmented remnants of the city of Managua. On his way through the city, the ambulance driver lost control and crashed, causing the vehicle’s oxygen tanks to explode, killing everyone onboard. While the third Somoza, often known as Tachito, was a corrupt, brutal ruler, his death left the country with a gaping hole in its power structure. Nicaragua lacked any clear leadership in its gravest hour…

While the natural disaster was destructive, its worst effects were the product of human disasters. The National Guard and city police, known for their constant presence on the streets and frequent checkpoints, where one could pay the necessary ‘toll’ or get hauled in for questioning, were nowhere to be found. Looting commenced within a few hours, with many National Guardsmen participating in the plunder. It took close to a week to restore a semblance of order to the city, with the security forces uncoordinated and unsure as to who exactly was in charge...

The Nicaraguan government, under the suddenly relevant leadership of the so-called ‘Liberal-Conservative Junta’, appealed to the world for aid, and the world responded. Over the next few months, 25 million dollars in cash, along with food, medical supplies and building materials, poured in from the United States, Canada, Western Europe and even some of Nicaragua’s neighbours. However, almost none of it reached the people. The National Guard, police and various political bosses were widely accused of stockpiling or stealing and reselling aid on the black market, forcing people from their homes and seizing their properties, and outright theft of reconstruction dollars. As the city remained in ruins more than four months later, and the ‘temporary’ displacement camps began to evolve into what appeared to be permanent settlements on the outskirts of the city, popular anger rose, and the regime was the target…”

Caroline Paulson, ed. The Central American Crisis (1973-2002): New Perspectives and Narratives. New York: NYU Press (2014).

"My idealism is based upon a broad horizon of internationalism, which represents the right to be free and to establish justice, even though to achieve this it may be necessary to establish it upon a foundation of blood. The oligarchs, or rather, the swamp geese, will say the I am a plebeian, but it doesn't matter. My greatest honor is that I come from the lap of the oppressed, the soul and spirit of our race, those who have lived ignored and forgotten, at the mercy of the shameless hired assassins who have committed the crime of high treason," - Augusto César Sandino ;)

Viva La Revolución! I look forward to seeing where you take this because the history of Nicaragua during this period was quite turbulent.

Que Viva!:cool:

Sandino vive! Martí vive! Árbenz vive!

"My idealism is based upon a broad horizon of internationalism, which represents the right to be free and to establish justice, even though to achieve this it may be necessary to establish it upon a foundation of blood. The oligarchs, or rather, the swamp geese, will say the I am a plebeian, but it doesn't matter. My greatest honor is that I come from the lap of the oppressed, the soul and spirit of our race, those who have lived ignored and forgotten, at the mercy of the shameless hired assassins who have committed the crime of high treason," - Augusto César Sandino ;)

Viva La Revolución! I look forward to seeing where you take this because the history of Nicaragua during this period was quite turbulent.

Thanks! Looking forward to it too! Nicaragua will definitely be at the center of the timeline, but Central America more broadly is the topic. I'm most knowledgable about El Salvador and Nicaragua, so any comments and criticism are welcome.

A new and insecure government profiteering from a natural disaster - that'll do it, all right. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Thanks!

As for profiteering, it's basically OTL. The pathetically bad response of Somoza to the earthquake was one of the turning points for his regime. After that, everyone wanted him gone, even if they couldn't agree on a replacement for another seven years.

kvtTMfY.jpg

1 September 1974
Managua, Nicaragua

Pablo Diaz Cardenal, motorcycle mechanic and resident of Barrio El Riguero, was exhausted. Despite the declaration from the Junta that Election Day would be a national holiday, he had woken up early and hauled his ass to the garage. Whatever the government said, he needed to eat, and his kids needed new shoes for the winter. So, like every day around 4pm, Pablo felt deader than a false Lazarus, although with a certain sense of satisfaction.

The same thing could be said about the country. The previous two years had been grueling. The Managua earthquake had only been the beginning. For Pablo, the quake had meant a speedy exit from the family home; fortunately, no one was hurt, and flimsy corrugated iron and wood structures weren’t all that difficult to dig through for valuables, so the family hadn’t lost much. In the days afterward though, the shock of a natural disaster had turned to anger. The politicians and their cronies, the National Guard and the police, even the Church here and there had wrung every last drop of profit out of the gringos’ generosity before tossing it to the people like a bone to a dog. Even then, what had been sent was often unusable. A well-meaning Canadian church group, for example, had sent a dozen crates full of thick winter coats, useless in the sweltering Nicaraguan air.

In those days, when it seemed like they had nothing left to lose, Pablo had joined the protests. Masses of angry, cursing people stormed the city center, men, women and children all screaming for bread and justice and order. Fernando Agüero, the stiff, doddering chairman of the so-called Liberal-Conservative Junta and the de-facto President, had attempted to address the people. Instead, he was faced with hurled garbage and rocks. That particular protest had escalated into a riot. Domingo Negro, as it was called, left fifty people dead and the city in an even greater shambles than before. Pablo, who fortunately for his family had skipped that eventful day’s demonstrations, was almost relieved when Agüero resigned in favour of General Montiel and the mixed civilian-military Emergency Junta of National Reconstruction. At least the colonels would know how to keep the peace.

Montiel was not much better that his predecessors. The Somozas, busy with their own little family intrigues between Tachito’s boy Anastasio and his brother-in-law, Foreign Minister Guillermo Sacasa, still had time to interfere with the country’s politics. Each time one of them made a proclamation or wrote a newspaper editorial, politicians would fall all over themselves to praise their ‘wisdom’ or denounce their idiocy. Montiel was a lame duck from the moment he stepped into office. Meanwhile, the Sandinistas only grew and grew, issuing communiqués from their mountain hideouts and raiding National Guard posts. Montiel tried to play up his low origins and act the populist, promising land reforms that never quite came and handing out free flour and cooking oil to the needy.

All the chaos made sure that the economy, tanking ever since the earthquake, never quite woke up again. The government, desperate for funds after international aid in the wake of the disaster, began to print money. Pablo saw the price of fuel first double, then triple, then go up by a factor of ten. He lost count after that. Abigail, his wife and moral compass, had a surprisingly good business sense; she had exchanged the córdobas they kept under the mattress for American dollars only a week before the inflation really kicked off. Pablo had heard rumors that, during the worst of it, the government had stopped printing new bills, instead just stamping extra zeroes onto old ones collected in the garbage.

All that, and the humiliating end to the drawn-out hostage situation at the American ambassador’s house, left Montiel in a tough position. While he had flirted with running on his own ticket for the Presidency, Montiel instead ruled himself out, pledging ‘strict neutrality for the Nicaraguan security forces’. So, now, there was an election, the first free election in Nicaraguan history, almost by accident.

The line was moving slowly. Pablo guessed that they had nowhere near enough clerks for the polling station Too many of the college students had run off to the hills to fight, and many of the rest were campaigning for one party or another. That left too few educated people to run an election properly, even with the gringos and blue-hatted UN personnel lending a hand. Pablo spotted the olive-drab hats of the National Guard standing outside the polling station; while the UN had thrown a fit about their involvement, too many of the leftist splinter groups had boycotted the proceedings and threatened violence, as had the young Anastasio Somoza Portocarrero after he had been disqualified from competing, for the elections to go unprotected. Surely, some arm-twisting by the United States helped as well.

After what seemed like an eternity, Pablo reached the front of the line. He handed over his voting card to the aging clerk, who checked his name off of a list and dunked his finger in purple ink. He then smiled and handed Pablo a ballot, which appeared several pages long. The clerk jerked his head towards an empty voting booth, and Pablo walked in.

Who to vote for? Before today, Pablo had never had to ask himself that question. There were seventeen choices alone for President, although everyone knew it came down to two serious candidates. Sacasa was running on the Nationalist Liberal ticket, promising a return to ‘freedom, prosperity and order’. No one believed him, but there were plenty of Somocistas around the country, all of who had a vested interest in the family staying in charge. On the other side was Pedro Chamorro Cardenal. From a long line of Conservative bigwigs, Chamorro had run La Prensa, Managua’s largest daily newspaper, for twenty years. For that whole time, he had resisted the Somoza regime, calling for real democracy and reform. While he was no Communist, and the Left had remained formally neutral, many of the more moderate activists had fallen behind Chamorro as a man who could make real change happen.

Pablo thought for a long time. Eventually, he decided, marking his ballot based on the most important question he could think of: what would his wife do?

Stuffing the paper into the ballot box felt good. Pablo smiled.

Freedom felt good.

vGdzrlH.jpg

3 September 1974
Managua, Nicaragua

The old ambassador’s residence was quite modest, thought Colonel Donaldo Humberto Frixote. Had he been the representative of the most powerful country in the world, now with thousands of planes, tens of thousands of tanks, and thermonuclear fire at its fingertips, he would have asked for something grander. Instead, the dwelling was only two stories, made of simple, understated stucco. A wrought-iron gate and fence proved little barrier to entry: the guards outside, clearly former Marines by their demeanor if not their unmarked khaki fatigues and Israeli submachine guns, let Humberto pass without so much as a glance at his papers. Humberto knocked on the door three times. A few moments later, it swung open, revealing another plainclothes Marine. The man looked the General up and down before jerking his head to the right.

Humberto strode through the doorway, and entered the house. Its exterior modesty matched the interior, a modest splendor fit for a well-to-do lawyer or successful urban merchant, not the Ambassador of the United States. Perhaps the residence, disused since the construction of a real embassy compound, had been built for a different time and a different America.

Humberto, lost in his thoughts for a moment, was almost shocked to hear a familiar voice. “Colonel! Come sit with the rest of us!” barked Turner B. Shelton, former movie executive and U.S. Ambassador to Nicaragua, in his characteristic Virginia drawl.

Shelton was seated in an armchair. On his left was a military man that Humberto knew: Lieutenant-Colonel Federico Mejía, a capable up-and-comer in the National Guard who was popular among the enlisted me. On his right were Leonídas Morales, the aging chief of one of the country’s major pro-government trade unions, the haciendado Marcelino Reyes, and a weedy gringo in a cheap suit that Humberto did not know. Humberto sat down, directly across from the Ambassador.

“Bourbon?” said Shelton, guesturing towards a half-empty bottle of dark amber liquid. Humberto shook his head. Shelton shrugged, and poured himself a substantial drink. “So, General, I’m sure you can guess why you’re here tonight?”

“Not in the slightest, Mr. Ambassador,” answered Humberto.

“Talk to ‘em, while I leave the room, Rich. I’m not supposed to know about this sort o’ shit.” Shelton joked, as he stood up. The man in the cheap suit grinned and sidled over, taking the place of the corpulent diplomat, who had left the building, followed by his armed guards. The collection of Nicaraguans turned to look at the skinny, sweating American, who began to butcher Spanish in a flat, Midwestern accent.

“You can call me Rich, I’m from a certain three-letter company with substantial interests here. Interests that would be threatened by any sort of instability or Red nonsense. You get my drift?” he said, ending with the English colloquialism.

The group was silent for a moment, before Mejía spoke up. “Our current government is at no risk of falling to Communism-”

“And pigs hate mud,” said the gringo, cutting the officer off. “There are students and peasants running off to the jungle to join the so-called Sandinistas every day. Not only that, we have evidence that the Reds have infiltrated the government to the very highest levels. You’re losing control of your country, and I’d suggest you gentlemen take it back.”

The man stood up, smoothing out the wrinkles in his suit. “Look, I love elections as much as any red-blooded American. Elections aren’t any good though when they put pinkos and fellow travellers in the big chair.”

The man stared around. “Any action to rescue freedom in Nicaragua from the threat of Red terror will be looked upon kindly by the government of the United States, President Nixon, and most importantly people like me.” After a few seconds of silence, he grinned and said, “We’ve got the house for another couple of hours, I’d suggest we start making plans.”

Humberto smiled wryly.

Perhaps the residence had been built for a different time, but this was the same America.

Lovely work here- looks like gringos are going to gringo here.

Pretty much. Chamorro should be tolerable for the Americans, but some people have significant interests in the maintenance of authoritarian rule in Central America. A certain three-letter acronym, also known as The Company.

This is an excellent work, and I commend you for a magnificent setup for that line in particular.

Thanks!

God damn it state department! :mad:

Be not a dick for once!

lol if it worked like that

Pretty much, although wrong government agency :p

The ambassador isn't exactly nice, but the weedy gringo isn't an employee of State.