TLIAFD: Stargatin' Across the Universe

Oh come, not this shit again!

What?

You never finish your timelines.

Well yeah, but y'know there's things... and stuff.

How eloquent.

Yeah, but this is just a Timeline In A Few Days, it's going to get finished.

That you felt the need to add the word "few" to TLIAD does not fill me with confidence.

Oh shut up.

Fine, but Stargate? Really?

Well I've always loved the franchise and I got a bit inspired after re-reading ColeMercury's TNG timeline, so I thought I'd give it a go in a similar style.

*sigh* Just get it over with.

Hmph.

Seasons 1-2 (1997-1999):

• Seasons 1 and 2 largely follows the same lines as OTL, with some minor changes being made to the "Hathor" episode.
  • Hathor is killed in her first appearance so the season 2 finale features the Daniel and O’Neill being captured by Heru-ur and taken to a remote space station. This is due to Heru-ur’s belief that Daniel holds the secret to the location of Apophis’ child, the Harcesis.

Season 1-2 cast of Stargate SG-1
Richard Dean Anderson as Colonel Jack O’Neill [CO of SG-1]
Michael Shanks as Dr. Daniel Jackson [archeologist]
Amanda Tapping as Captain Samantha Carter [2-in-command of SG-1]
Christopher Judge as Teal’c [member of SG-1, Free Jaffa]
Don S. Davis as Major General George Hammond [Head of the SGC]

Season 3 (1999-2000)

• The season opens with Daniel and Jack being rescued from Heru-ur’s space station by Sam, Teal’c and Selmak. Heru-ur is killed when the station is destroyed during the escape and the immediate threat to the Harcesis seems gone for now.
  • Sokar is not killed off in the mid-season premiere however Apophis manages to escape his clutches.
  • During the filming of episode 9 actor Don S. Davis is hospitalized following a minor heart attack. Production is halted for several weeks and while it becomes clear that Davis will eventually recover, he will not be able to continue working on the show due to the taxing schedule. The majority of Davis’ scenes for episode 9 had already been filmed so the episode can be finished after some limited reshoots. Davis is written out of the show in the tenth episode of the season, ”Epitaph” written by Robert C. Cooper, which opens in media res with the memorial service for General Hammond held in the SGC gateroom. It is revealed in flashbacks how SG-1 made contact with an advanced off-world civilization positive to trading with Earth. General Hammond accompanies a diplomatic team back to the planet to participate in trade negotiations when the Goa’uld attack the world from orbit. Not able to get to the gate, Hammond at the last moment orders Colonel O’Neill to close the gate’s iris just before a major energy blast travels through wormhole, hinting that the city Hammond was in was completely destroyed. A Tok’ra flyby of the planet a few weeks later reveals this to be the truth, with entire civilization having been wiped out. A voice actor was hired to mimic Davis’ voice for the radio conversations in this episode, however once Davis’ recovered he was able to redo the voiceover for the DVD release and that is now also the version of the episode used in syndication.
  • Hammond’s replacement as head of the SGC would be introduced in episode thirteen of the season in the form of General Maurice Vidrine portrayed by Steven Williams, known for his work on 21 Jump Street and The X-Files. The character of Vidrine would be a sharp contrast to Hammond in his rough attitude and lack of patience for O’Neill’s antics. His clashes with O’Neill would be numerous during the back half of the season, although eventually the two would gradually come to an understanding with a little help by a common enemy in the form of Harry Maybourne and the NID. Steven Williams continued involvement with the show would be left up in the air at the end of the season since he was also a series regular on another Showtime show called Linc’s. However that issue came to be resolved after Linc’s was cancelled by Showtime after two seasons.
  • Series co-creator and Excecutive Producer Jonathan Glassner leaves the show after at the end of the season, however he would retain a creative consultant credit.

Season 3 cast of Stargate SG-1
Amanda Tapping as Captain/Major Samantha Carter [2-in-command of SG-1, astrophysicist]
Don S. Davis as Major General George Hammond [Head of the SGC]
-Series regular up until episode 10
Steven Williams as Major General Maurice Vidrine [Head of the SGC]
-From episode 13 and onwards, Special Guest Star credit

Last edited:
I know that using a heart attack to get someone out of the picture may be a bit iffy, however I figure that since Davis passed away from a heart attack only eight-nine years later IOTL it might not be completely implausible for him to get hit by a less severe one and live at that point.

Season 4 (2000-2001)

-Irah Steven Behr of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine fame is hired as a creative consultant for the show.
-After successfully preventing the Replicators from gaining a foothold on Earth in the season opener the main arc of the season deals with state of all out war in effect between the Sokar, Apophis and the collected forces of the System Lords. A coordinated effort is taken by Earth and the Tok’ra to prolong the conflict and have the different factions greatly weaken each other. The plan sees limited success throughout the season, leading to drastic measures being taken in the end of the season. Through the spread of false intelligence by the Tok’ra about a previously unknown planetary system with a great abundance of naquadah Earth and the Tok’ra hope to draw out all three factions for an all out battle where they’d get the chance of eliminating all major Goa’ulds in one fell swoop by making the systems star go supernova. Apophis and Sokar both show up with their fleet and engage in battle, however things go wrong when the System Lords never show up. After SG-1 is delayed in their departure from the system after having to divert and rescue a Teal’c from Apophis, they finally leave just as the star goes supernova and destroys the Goa’uld fleets. The energy causes their hyperspace tunnel to destabilise and their ship drop out of hyperspace at the outskirts of the Sol System… only to find Apophis’ mothership in orbit of Earth.

Season 4 cast of Stargate SG-1
Amanda Tapping as Major Samantha Carter [2-in-command of SG-1, astrophysicist]

Last edited:
where is the accompanying theme song, done by the firm
(you know the ones that did startrekkin')
stargatin' across the universe...

Season 5 (2001-2002)

• Irah Steven Behr joins the creative team as a writer and Co-Executive Producer.
  • The season opens with a three-parter featuring SG-1 and Selmak fighting Apophis after having been thrown back in time to 1947 due to the hyperspace tunnel destabilisation. With Apophis having arrived some time before SG-1 he had already managed to launch an invasion of Earth, so the bulk of the episode deals with SG-1 attempting to figure out a way to travel back in time to before Apophis arrived to prevent the invasion from ever taking place before returning to the year 2001. The season opener is well received and seen as among the most ambitious episodes ever done by the show at that time SG-1, although it remains somewhat disliked among the group of fans who dislike the sometimes convoluted time-travel plot.
  • Christopher Judge and Amanda Tapping were both the recipients of Leo Awards for best dramatic performance for episodes in this season.
  • Showtime declines to pick up the show for a sixth season, citing that the show’s success in syndication meant it no longer could draw in new subscribers. MGM begins shopping around the series to other channels, with the Sci-Fi Channel eventually deciding to pick it up.
  • Michael Shanks decides to leave the show after this season after feeling that his character had become under-utilised. He’s written out of the show in the 21st episode of the season where his character Daniel Jackson ascends to a higher plane of existence. Shanks’ replacement on the show, played by a mostly unknown American actor is introduced in the same episode. Shanks is however still credited as a member of the main cast in the last episode of the season, which finally introduces the audience to the new big bad, Anubis.
Season 5 cast of Stargate SG-1

Season 6 (2002-2003)

• With Michael Shanks gone American actor Jon Hamm joins the main cast playing the character of Adrien Nadal, a scientist and member of the military of the off-world nation Kelowna. He comes to SG-1 and Daniel Jackson's defense when his government attempts to blame Daniel for an accident at their weapons research facility when he first appear in episode 5.21.
  • Richard Dean Anderson reduces his time spent on the show due to a wish to spend more time with his daughter.
  • Michael Shanks appears in 3 episodes as Daniel Jackson.
Season 6 cast of Stargate SG-1
Amanda Tapping as Major Samantha Carter [2-in-command of SG-1]
Christopher Judge as Teal’c [Member of SG-1, Free Jaffa]
Jon Hamm as Adrien Nadal [Member of SG-1, Kelownan]

Season 7 (2003-2004)

• Series co-creator Brad Wright steps down as showrunner to develop the new spin-off series Stargate Atlantis, with Robert C. Cooper and Ira Behr taking over most of his duties.
  • Amanda Tapping does not appear in 7 episodes in the beginning of the season due to being away on maternity leave after giving birth to her first child. This explained away by a plot involving her ending up in a coma following an encounter with a piece of malfunctioning Ancient technology. In Tapping’s absence Teryl Rothery (Janet Frasier) is given a more prominent role, although her character was killed off towards the end of the season after pressure from the Sci-Fi Channel management to create a greater sense of danger in the show.
  • Don S. Davis appears in 2 episodes as an alternate reality version of General Hammond who was never killed and remained in charge of the SGC in that reality.
  • Michael Shanks appears in 6 episodes as Daniel Jackson who has been sent back to his former plane of existence after breaking the rules of non-interference set by the other ascended beings.
Season 7 cast of Stargate SG-1
Richard Dean Anderson as Colonel Jack O’Neill
Amanda Tapping as Major Samantha Carter
Christopher Judge as Teal’c
Jon Hamm as Adrien Nadal
Steven Williams as Major General Maurice Vidrine

Since I'm currently re-watching season 6 of SG-1 (and I won't stop there XD), I'll be following this with great interest. Also Adrian Nadal sounds better than Jonas Quinn (seriously, Corin Nemec is a more alien name than his), so that's already an improvement.

I'm also a fan of Steven Williams getting a major role. His few cameos were much appreciated.

Last edited:
Since I'm currently re-watching season 6 of SG-1 (and I won't stop there XD), I'll be following this with great interest. Also Adrian Nadal sounds better than Jonas Quinn (seriously, Corin Nemec is a more alien name than his), so that's already an improvement.

I'm also a fan of Steven Williams getting a major role. His few cameos were much appreciated.

Yeah that name thing always really bugged me too, and I wasn't much of a fan of Corin Nemec either. I never had that hate some rabid Daniel Jackson-fans had for him, but he didn't really connect with me. Reading about his association with scientology hasn't exactly improved my opinion of him either.

SG-1 Season 8 (2004-2005)

• Richard Dean Anderson decides to leave the show between seasons to spend more time with his family. He returns to the show as a guest star in the first two episodes where Jack O’Neill is promoted and placed in command of Earth’s slowly but surely growing space force, with its second ship and O’Neill’ flagship, the ”Odyssey” finished at the end of the season. Anderson also returns as a guest star in the season finale.
  • With Anderson gone the producers go looking for a new lead actor to carry the show. Their preference is for someone ’genre famous’ and according to rumors both Ben Browder (Farscape) and Nathan Fillion (Firefly) were high on their wish list but neither was able to sign on due to other commitments. The producers then cast a wider net, and the man who eventually was cast would come to hear of the part from a friend in Los Angeles who recommended him to audition. He was not the type the producers had in mind for the part starting out but his audition managed to convince them and the part was subsequently somewhat retooled to fit the actor better. And that’s how Paul McGann came to join SG-1, playing a British Army Colonel given command of the team after a greater push for more international involvement in the Stargate programme following Anubis’ attack on Earth.
  • The main arcs of the season deals with the intensified battle between the Earth, the Tok’ra and Free Jaffa against the weakened System Lords with the resurfaced Replicator threat introduced in the mid-season two-parter. It all culminates in the capture of Dakara and final defeat Anubis in the three-parter season finale which ends with the cliffhanger introduction of a new villain in the form of Replicator Carter/RepliCarter.

Season 8 cast of Stargate SG-1
Paul McGann as Colonel Alexander Warner [CO of SG-1]
Christopher Judge as Teal’c [Member of SG-1, Free Jaffa]
Jon Hamm as Adrien Nadal [Member of SG-1, Kelownan]

------

I apologize for the sometimes long waits (for a TLIAD) between updates, but a have a lot of classes this week so I don't have the ability to get done as much as I'd like. Probably not the optimal time to start this up, but I figure better do it while the inspiration is there. Now I'm off to bed and next up there's a look at the first season of Atlantis.

Last edited:
Wow, Paul McGann actually having a career post-Doctor Who 1996!? Who would've thunk it? Also I would imagine the script writers trying to at least put in a joke along the lines of "You look more like a scientist/doctor to me" at least once.

Heavy

Banned
Does that preclude McGann from appearing as William Bush in Hornblower? I think he might have missed out on the last two telemovies if he was busy in America.

I've quite enjoyed this so far. I don't know enough about the behind-the-scenes business of the Stargate franchise, so I can't say for sure how plausible it is, but I enjoy Stargate, so it's been fun to read so far.

I quite like pop culture timelines. If I ever did a timeline, it would be a pop culture timeline.

Wow, Paul McGann actually having a career post-Doctor Who 1996!? Who would've thunk it? Also I would imagine the script writers trying to at least put in a joke along the lines of "You look more like a scientist/doctor to me" at least once.

Oh you can bet on that. Like the Farscape references during Ben Browder and Claudia Black's time on the show OTL, McGann can count on a fair bit

Does that preclude McGann from appearing as William Bush in Hornblower? I think he might have missed out on the last two telemovies if he was busy in America.

I've quite enjoyed this so far. I don't know enough about the behind-the-scenes business of the Stargate franchise, so I can't say for sure how plausible it is, but I enjoy Stargate, so it's been fun to read so far.

I quite like pop culture timelines. If I ever did a timeline, it would be a pop culture timeline.

According to wiki the last of the Hornblower movies aired in january of 2003 so McGann still appear in those as OTL.

Well I've tried to keep things relatively grounded and realistic and not go completely off the rails by having George Clooney suddenly join the cast or something like that, and I figure some slightly different creative choices in the first couple of seasons isn't completely out of the question and a big event such as an actor leaving abruptly due to illness and a change in cast would influence the writers creative direction in a director even more different from OTL.

Atlantis Season 1 (2004-2005)

• It is decided in an early stage of development that Michael Shanks would play the lead in this show as he expressed an interest in returning to the Stargate franchise full time again about a year after leaving. After Daniel Jackson was shown to be sent down to the human level of existence in the back half of season 7 he was soon able to overcome his amnesia and the international community named him as the head of the expedition to the lost city of Atlantis located in the galaxy known as Messier 63 or the Sunflower Galaxy.
  • Character: Major Rebecca Shaw played by Rachel Luttrell is an experienced Air Force officer with insubordination problems who is unexpectedly thrust in the role of commanding the Atlantis Expedition’s military garrison.
  • Character: Halling Edrell played by Christopher Heyerdahl, a native of the galaxy and leader of his people who acts as a guide and representative to local human civilizations for the expedition.
  • Character: Dr. Carson Beckett played by Paul McGillion is the expedition’s cheerful lead scientist who spends the first half of the season attempting to overcome his fear of going off world.
  • Character: Dr. Cristina Ingram played by Erica Cerra, the expedition’s chief medical officer known for her notoriously poor bedside manner and biting sarcasm.
  • Character: Mahershala Ali as Gunnery Sergeant Lee Markham, an experienced Marine who soon develops a close working relationship with Major Shaw.
  • The main plot of the first season deals with the fight against the Wraith who the expedition woke up from hibernation by mistake, exploring the vast city of Atlantis and finding a ZPM so that the city could defend itself should the Wraith ever show up.
  • Richard Dean Anderson and Amanda Tapping both appear in the pilot.
  • Robert Patrick guest stars in the pilot as Colonel Marshall Sumner
Season 1 cast of Stargate Atlantis
Michael Shanks as Dr. Daniel Jackson [Head of the Atlantis Expedition, American]
Rachel Luttrell as Major Rebecca Shaw [CO of the expedition’s military personnel, American]
Christopher Heyerdahl as Halling Edrell [Local guide, galactic native]
Paul McGillion as Dr. Carson Beckett [Lead scientist, astrophysicist, Scottish]
Erica Cerra as Dr. Cristina Ingram [Chief medical officer, Canadian]
Mahershala Ali as Gunnery Sergeant Lee Markham [Marine, American]

Last edited:
Okay:
- Daniel Jackson as the leader of the Atlantis team: awesome, fits his character really well (s. pretty much everything in the direct set-up for Atlantis)
- Rachel Luttrell being the main team leader: it works, though I also hope she also gets to use her impressive pipes more than once
- more Christopher Heyerdahl: ALWAYS welcome, he's awesome. It's a shame he won't be playing Todd, though
- Paul McGillion essentially playing OTL's Rodney McKay with "our" Carson's personality works quite nicely as well
- Erica Cerra... I haven't seen much of Eureka, so I can't judge her acting chops but her character sounds fun enough. Funny she inherited the McKay name, though.
- Mahershala Ali... He's completely unfamiliar with his work, though at least his character seems to be better integrated into the team than Rainbow Sun Franck's. Though that would probably mean that they wouldn't need Jason Momoa as a replacement, which is a bit of a shame...

Now one small/big problem:
No David Hewlett! Sure, this isn't wish-fulfillment but damn it, he deserves to be involved in the show. That reminds me, did he even have an appearance in SG-1 ITTL?

Also it's good to know that the writers will make ample Doctor Who references during McGann's tenure.

- more Christopher Heyerdahl: ALWAYS welcome, he's awesome. It's a shame he won't be playing Todd, though

- Erica Cerra... I haven't seen much of Eureka, so I can't judge her acting chops but her character sounds fun enough. Funny she inherited the McKay name, though.

- Mahershala Ali... He's completely unfamiliar with his work, though at least his character seems to be better integrated into the team than Rainbow Sun Franck's. Though that would probably mean that they wouldn't need Jason Momoa as a replacement, which is a bit of a shame...

No David Hewlett! Sure, this isn't wish-fulfillment but damn it, he deserves to be involved in the show. That reminds me, did he even have an appearance in SG-1 ITTL?

Her character having the last name McKay is actually a mistake, I had changed it on the document on my computer just before posting but forgot to do it in the actual post. Fixed now.

Yeah Heyerdahl won't be playing Todd unfortunately, however his character will share quite a few similarities with John Druitt on Sanctuary so that's at least something.

Well I can say that Momoa at least won't play the same role if he makes an appearance on the show since Mahershala Ali's and Heyerdahl's characters already fill the function Ronon came to have.

Hewlett did appear on SG-1 ITTL as McKay but only in the one episode, so with Stargate's history of recasting previously used actors in different parts who knows if he'll show up again? ;)