TL Idea need Feedback.

Hi fellow AH members.

After a, somewhat, long resting period KR is back and I have decided to embrace a new project, because I lost all my files on my other TL's.

So the TL would be called "Long Live King George I of Portugal."

This George is Jorge de Lencastre Duque de Coimbra and natural son of John II.

The POD is simple.

OTL John had the support of Innocent VIII to legitimize his son but the Pope died before a formal embassy could be sent to Rome. In OTL Alexander VI sided with the Queen, but what if he didn't?

In this TL John plays the game in the Conclave of 92. He uses his agents in Rome (John was known for being a man that valued spies, so he most likely had agents in every important center of power in Europe) to put Jorge da Costa, Cardinal-Bishop of Albano and a Portuguese, as Pope by any means needed. Now the 3 Venetians and 3 Genoese would never support a Portuguese candidate.

The 3 cardinals from Savona might, with enough incentives, and the Romans and Milanesse as well.

The Neapolitans would vote on whom Ferdinand of Naples ordered them

That leaves 6 against, 10 that might, 4 that depend of Ferdinand and 3 (Rodrigo Borja,
Giovanni de' Medici and Domenico della Rovere) that the King as no idea how they would vote for.

Now before someone goes that could never happen, da Costa was considered as a papabile. On our TL from what I read the most likely ones to gain the election were da Costa and Carafara (a Neapolitan).

So thanks to some bribing da Costa wins and becomes the new Pope, one that must please the man that gained him the Papal Tiara and in exchange Jeorge becomes the new Heir of Portugal.

Jeorge from what I read was a true son of John.

More interested in business than in religion his approach on India would be radically different from Manuel's. Internally Jeorge would have to face the ones apposing him notably the powerful Order of Christ of whom Manuel was Master.

From what I have been reading Jeorge had everything to become a new John II. He was diligent and a good administrator but most importantly he had a clean mind. Manuel's biggest flaw was that he thought himself the envoy of God and the nobility at court would use that against him by turning him against the viceroys or governors of India that weren't willing to accept rampaging corruption.

This is the main premise.

Tell me what you think, what whatever questions that you have and give some advice if you have it.

P.S. Portugal-Castile-Aragon superpower is a big no no, ok?