TL Idea: Batman Alternate Actors/Films

This is very much a bloodshot eyes hour idea as I hit the twilight of sleep. We've done this with Dr. Who, James Bond and others concerning alternate actors and alternate film/television series' related to those actors where it involves different people embodying the character. What I was thinking was why not do that with the Batman film series? Thoughts? Opinions?

Morty Vicar

Banned
Do you mean who would be likely candidates (ie auditioned for the role) or who we would like to have seen? I think Johnny Depp might have made a good batman for some reason, or at least I thought that until the Pirates of the Caribbean nonsense. Adam West would be a great Alfred, Rutger Hauer as Victor Zsasz, and Woody Allen as a tragi-comic Ventriloquist. Directed by Tim Burton again, imo still the best Batman director, I love that dark gritty Gotham he created.

Morty Vicar

Banned
Do you mean who would be likely candidates (ie auditioned for the role) or who we would like to have seen? I think Johnny Depp might have made a good batman for some reason, or at least I thought that until the Pirates of the Caribbean nonsense. Adam West would be a great Alfred, Rutger Hauer as Victor Zsasz, and Woody Allen as a tragi-comic Ventriloquist. Directed by Tim Burton again, imo still the best Batman director, I love that dark gritty Gotham he created.

Actually make Edward Norton Batman. Who can be Commissioner Gordon?

I wonder if there's a middle ground between Batman Begins and the insanity that was Batman Year One. Darren Aronofsky's Year One is just too insane to have been successful. I think that was the point-but theoretically the Batman reboot project could have been more Year One than Batman Begins. Without the Big Al and "we swear this isn't a superhero movie" thing that script had. Either Aronofsky agrees to film a much more straightforward adaptation or some other director becomes involved in the project.

I wonder what would Warner Brothers have done if Christopher Nolan had stepped away after the Dark Knight. I'm not sure whether they'd have a fill reboot that soon or whether Bale and Company would agree to finish out the final film.

One idea I like to re-use a lot is that Schumacher wanted to try and go for a gritty The Dark Knights Returns adapation to the Burton-verse which would be... interesting. I really do think that Clooney is the perfect choice for Batman in that era, and I think that if Schumacher's actually trying to make a movie then it might work. Bonus points as I think that the production team's more fun approach to Batman would balance out some of the iffy-er aspects of The Dark Knight Returns.

One idea that might be fun, that I literally just thought of from your OP - what if the Adam West Batman series went on forever, just like Doctor Who? It could be fun to explore that, both actor wise and with the character evolving over the course of history.

I know this is a bit of a bump. But the thread on the Superman v. Batman film has me wondering. Just what would Warner Brothers have done had Christopher Nolan walked away from the franchise after the Dark Knight?

Contractually, Christian Bale was obligated to appear in a third film-but he expressed serious reservations about returning to the role if another director was present.

The fanbase will be angry-and whoever the new director is will be under enormous pressure to live up to the Dark Knight's success.

So what would Warner Brothers have done had Christopher Nolan walked away? Would they have gone with a complete reboot as soon as four years after the Dark Knight? Who would they have hired on as the new director?

I know this is a bit of a bump. But the thread on the Superman v. Batman film has me wondering. Just what would Warner Brothers have done had Christopher Nolan walked away from the franchise after the Dark Knight?

Contractually, Christian Bale was obligated to appear in a third film-but he expressed serious reservations about returning to the role if another director was present.

The fanbase will be angry-and whoever the new director is will be under enormous pressure to live up to the Dark Knight's success.

So what would Warner Brothers have done had Christopher Nolan walked away? Would they have gone with a complete reboot as soon as four years after the Dark Knight? Who would they have hired on as the new director?

I think WB would've made the same mistake as Fox and replaced Nolan with Brett Ratner, the same man Fox brought in to take over for Bryan Singer on X-Men 3 after Singer decided to do Superman Returns.

Getting back to alternate actors...

Would Keanu Reeves have been a good Bruce/Bats in the 90's after Keaton?

How about John Cleese as Alfred? Robin Williams as the Riddler? Joe Pesci as Scarface?

I remember reading that the version of Batman Begins III that Warner Brothers wanted without Nolan would have featured the Riddler. The studio's preference was to cast Leonardo DiCaprio in the role. I don't think he would have accepted but that's where such a film might have been headed.

As farr as Keanu Reeves, wouldn't he have been a bit too young to play the part circa 1995 especially after Keaton?

I remember reading that the version of Batman Begins III that Warner Brothers wanted without Nolan would have featured the Riddler. The studio's preference was to cast Leonardo DiCaprio in the role. I don't think he would have accepted but that's where such a film might have been headed.

As farr as Keanu Reeves, wouldn't he have been a bit too young to play the part circa 1995 especially after Keaton?

I'd probably say yes since he was 29 when he did Speed, but I was thinking he'd be more appropriate for a prequel chronicling Bruce's first adventures in the Batsuit.

I think Leo DiCaprio would make a good batman, which time? depend, but in 90's-00's would be one of terrific one

I think Leo DiCaprio would make a good batman, which time? depend, but in 90's-00's would be one of terrific one
Nah; Josh Brolin is my preferred Batman. He gives off a very BTAS vibe, he's got the class, and the muscle.

Also someone needs to give Mark Hamill a live action shot at the Joker, damn it!

One idea that might be fun, that I literally just thought of from your OP - what if the Adam West Batman series went on forever, just like Doctor Who? It could be fun to explore that, both actor wise and with the character evolving over the course of history.
Building off of this idea.

1966-1968: Adam West
1971-1976: Clint Eastwood
1985-1994: Alan Rickman
1994-2001: J.K. Simmons
2008-2019: Josh Brolin

RyanF

Banned
Personally I've always been drawn to the idea of a John Carpenter Batman series in the early to mid 1980s... quite a few people in the repertory company he had built up would have been quite good in some of the roles.

Kurt Russell as Batman
Adrianne Barbeau as Catwoman (she later voiced Catwoman in TAS)
Donald Pleasance as Alfred

Of course this the same chain of thought that led me to Schwarzenegger as Hugo Strange... so maybe just me.

Thoughts?

Gary Oldman as The Joker was something that a friend of mine thought up. Granted, it wouldn't be in the most recent movies. Maybe around the time he did Leon the Professional?

I'd like to add some Batman Beyond to this thread.

I think Daniel Radcliffe with his american accent would make a great Terry McGinnis. Maybe Martin Sheen as an old Bruce Wayne? (this one is more just because Martin Sheen is one of my favorite actors, who is also old)

Peirce Brosnan as Batman perhaps? Christopher Walken as Joker (thinking of his manic performance as 'Max Zorrin' in 'A vie to a Kill)?

I was more thinking of a revolving door of actors ala James Bond, with a floating canon in a long term series. However, based on the ideas you guys have proposed, maybe we could have a 'Batman: Black and White' type thread where everyone is free to post their own short vignette of an alternate universe Batman movie.

The original plan for Batman returns was to have Penguin and Mr. Freeze teaming up to freeze Gotham. And the Penguin was to be played by Christopher Lloyd. Also Burgess Meredith was originally going to play Penguin's father, but had to back out due to illness.

Annie Potts auditioned for Vicki Vale. Frankly that seems awesome to me.

Tim Curry, David Bowie, Robin Williams and James Woods were all candidates for the Joker. And I would have watched them all.