TL: A Visual History Of Muslim South America

Alright guys here we go with my first TL, focusing on a very different colonization of south america and its effects, i will not be discussing the history that led up to this point. The TL will mostly be maps interspersed with narrative. The POD is 1000 AD, with the reconquest of Muslim Spain being extinguished because Badajoz invades Leon.

The discovery

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=8764286&postcount=3
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=8764431&postcount=4

Partition and Settlement

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=8768363&postcount=5
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=8788261&postcount=6

Colony profiles in 1700

Riomar
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=8800304&postcount=23
New Badajoz
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=8802483&postcount=24

Last edited:

Alkahest

Banned
Very interesting! I've been thinking about something similar myself, and I'd love to see what you've thought up. Consider me your first subscriber!

Aftasies (the northern half of Portugal and all of the kingdom of Leon, capital: Badajoz) 1498.

Out of the shimmering harbor of lisboa, a new kind of ship set sail. Fast, tall and capable of sustaining itself for many weeks at sea. It was sailing under the orders Of the Emir himself, to find a faster route to the Muslim city of Aceh for the purposes of trade and religious unity. scholars had known about the roundness of the world since the times of the great caliphate, so logically, there must be a faster way to chin than circling Africa.

It was captained by the 8th son of the Emir of Sicily, who had a decorated military career, and now worked as a private hand, (naturally informing the Emir of Sicily of anything important he happened to see) His name was Mohammed Sapienzi.

As the mosques of lisboa faded into the horizon and the infinite blue of the Atlantic replaced them, Sapienzi (nickname - wise man ) felt apprehensive, he had no idea how large this ocean was, no idea where he was going and no idea what to tell who when he got back, he felt loyalty to two Emirs and his discovery would be precious.

Sapienzi restocked in the Fire islands (canary islands) as he was chummy with the Moroccan governor and set a course west.

4 and a half grueling weeks later, the crew began too see birds, flying in great swarms above their vessel, orders were given to follow them to land.

The first Europeans (other than the vikings) to set foot on the Americas landed on the island of Tobago, naming it Azzi after the sailor that first sighted it (this practice was to become traditional.), after leaving a fort at the northern Tip of Azzi Sapienzi continued his voyage, until he personally sighted land, landing near OTL Curaipo. Naming the land Sapienza. The native Chines as they were called were friendly and welcoming.

Sapienzi departed from Sapienza and charted most of the west Chine isles, returning to Badajoz with maps and treasure. He and many others would return to Sapienza, and the discovery quickly spread from Badajoz to Sicily and then throughout Muslim and christian Europe. The age of colonialism was about to begin.

here is a map of the 1st voyage.

pDyNqaJ.png

The Great partition

Nantes 1521.

The last of the great continental wars between Islam and Christianity was over, the idols of religion were slowly being replaced by wealth and power, something that constant warfare sapped. zeal had given way to geopolitics. The final division of Europe had now been settled by treaty at Nantes.

Both half's of Europe knew of the new world and now would be time to divide it, the line (red dashes) was dawn between the island of Sainte Marie (Cuba) and Jama (Hispanola).

eU5yZUp.png

Both delegations (Badajoz, Touloize , Murcia , Morocco and Napelzi for the Muslims) (England, France, Brittany , Burgundy , Sweden and Scotland for the Christians) walked away smug, Both knew of rich empires deep inland, and both thought they claimed the greater continent. only time will tell.

The stage is now set for colonisation, the prlud was rushed because i am keen to get on to actual colonialism, the narrative will also start now, if anyone has any questions about the Tl so far please post, feedback will be most welcome.

Last edited:
Not to be nit-picky, but a reformed Islam isn't really possible, particularly in the 16th century. Islam of that time and before just doesn't have the progressive theological chops that Christianity does.

Faeelin

Banned
Not to be nit-picky, but a reformed Islam isn't really possible, particularly in the 16th century. Islam of that time and before just doesn't have the progressive theological chops that Christianity does.

Mohammed wept.

600 years of prosperity in western Europe, with a renaissance based on the ideas of the umayyad caliphate, reform and diversification from their middle eastern cousins stuck in the old ways is possible if not likely.

Christianity is progressive? In the 16th century?

Delvestius

Banned

Andalusian Culture was quite conducive to science and exploration, and if the Mozarabs would have remained the power of Spain, I see no reason why this is not plausible.

That's a real nice map, Islander.

Without a successful reconquesta portugese, castilian, aragonese, galician, leonese and catalan would sooner or later likely have gone the way of the dodo just like the romance dialects in north africa did IOTL so the toponyms would either be completely arabic or arabised local ones, e.g. something like Al-Qu-'uba (Cuba).