TL 191 DBWI: Best movies on Both Great wars and the Fourth Pacific war?

these three wars seem to be very important in our history (the last one is especially important for me because my Grandfather fought in it) and i was wondering what people thought the best movies about these wars were.

Some of my favorites were Warhorse, Pittsburgh (both the one from 93' and 2014), and we were soldiers (although im not sure if Forrest Gump counts, because it had a few scenes set in the war).

so what are your opinions?

On the German side, The Kaiser's Speech is awesome, the actors do a great job, and it really captures Wilhelm III as a man put in a very hard situation just after his father died, and trying to defend Germany from a much greater threat while trying to live up to his father's legacy. Highly recommended.

I enjoyed the HBO series "Band of Brothers" (the ETO) and "The Pacific) mini-series on WW-2. They were based on actual experiences and had cameos of the real people in the final segment.

I loved Rising Storm about the final decade of Kaiser Wilhelm II has he prepares Germany for the oncoming war, while dealing the great depression. Working with the likes of general Lettow-Vorbeck, Manstein, Hidenburg and Rommel. Not to mention the last scene being such a tearjerker with Kaiser Wilhelm on his death bead proclaiming he had failed Germany and it's up to his son to see Germany through the coming storm, cutting to Franco-British bombers flying over Germany, with air sirens roaring and hordes of Russian troops storming the Ukraine boarder.

On the German side, The Kaiser's Speech is awesome, the actors do a great job, and it really captures Wilhelm III as a man put in a very hard situation just after his father died, and trying to defend Germany from a much greater threat while trying to live up to his father's legacy. Highly recommended.

Beautiful piece of cinema. The only people who think The Great Combine Scam should've won best picture and not The Kaiser's Speech are clearly people who haven't seen the later.

Anyway I know movies about Entente soldiers in the Second great war sounds like a bit of a bad idea but the British film The Victorian Cross and the Nashville Film Company's Our Mothers, Our Fathers both should be seen.

Both show that it was easy to get caught up in silvershirtist/Freedomite ideology as well as how dangerous they were but at the same time there were people on the other side. Not just mindless genocidal killing machines.

As for 4th Pacific war movies they usually Fall into two camps. The "War is terrible and we are all doomed to destroy ourselves" and the "USA! USA! USA!" type movies. Personally I think Last Day on Earth is at least a little more balanced though it does lean towards the former. (OOC: Think something along the lines of the first half of Full Metal Jacket crossed with the Vietnam part of Forrest Gump).

Finally, Forrest Gump is a beautiful film and i think it perfectly captures the interwar southern mindset. Although the second great war is some kind of past trauma and the fourth Pacific war is a looming doom i really think it is worth the conrext at least.

Last edited:

bguy

Donor
The Wolfpack is easily the best movie about the Second Battle of the Atlantic. (And it becomes even more meaningful when you realize that Clark Gable actually was a highly decorated submarine commander during the Second Pacific War).

And The Lion of Africa should make the list just for George C. Scott's epic performance as Smedley Butler. I'm just glad the movie stuck to Butler's exploits on the Liberian front in the FGW and didn't get bogged down in the controversies of his subsequent career as military governor of Canada.

I remember watching 'O Singapore' a few years ago, telling of the successful British defence of that city. The dynamic between the 'Silvershirtist' hardliners that occupied many of the higher ranks of the colonial government, and the average patriotic British soldier was very engaging.

There was a pretty good movie that came out a few years ago. It was called "Defiance", I think, and it told the story of negro guerrilla and freedom fighter Cassius and how he killed Featherston

"All Quiet on the Roanoke Front" was pretty good. Even though it was made in the 50's the effects were amazing. I think it's one of the best depictions of trench warfare there is. The final few minutes where nearly the entire U.S. company gets killed while going "over the top" was especially heart wrenching.

"How few remain" about the second war between the states. We see all the old heroes of the CSA at work again.(ooc: Any movie could have had the same title as the first TL 191 book). Sean Bean is exellent as the English commander Gordon

I agree on We were Soldiers. It's a great period piece about the Red Rebellion and how black veterans of that conflict would later enlist in the Confederate army. The ending, of course, is sad, what with the hero getting stabbed by white confederates during the immediate aftermath of the war ending.